MK Online Being Shut Down?

Good! GameSpy swallows anyway! Serves WB right for using such a suck service to begin with!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

The lag is terrible. Even with the best connections you're still getting about a half second input delay

The lag is terrible. Even with the best connections you're still getting about a half second input delay

Yeah MK9 online's netcode is a joke compared to injustice. The lobbies and koth is a tragedy. I love WB to re-release the game with inproved netcode on ps4/xboxone while we wait on mk10.

I wouldn't say unplayable at least not on my connection.

It's just.. a completely different game because you have to hard read some things you normally don't have to.

Delayed inputs and atrocious lag. Good riddance. That's why I haven't played MK9 online in 3 in a half years.

MK9 has a terrible netcodee. I have a 24 mb connection and live in greece. and while in some other fighters including super street fighter 4 arcade edition and skullgirls i can play with people from all overt the world ,even with people from China or Japan without lag in MK9 there is lot of lag. Even when i try to play with a friend of mine who lives in the same area as me we had problems joining each other! Netherlams must take some lessons from Capcom and Autumn labs to learn how to make a good online game! if the online realy gets shutdown due to Gamespy then WB must move it somewhere else to save it

I doubt WB will do much to preserve MK9's online feature at this point. The game is almost 3 years old now, and most of the consumers have moved on to other games at this point.

MK9 doesn't use Gamespy servers anymore. I forget the name of the ones they use now, but I remember the article from last year.

And whenever I hop online I always see anywhere from 40-150 people in the lobbies.

40-150 people online is VERY low for MK9 standards, comparing to the days when MK9 was out, way before Injustice.

That's not low at all for a game with horrible online play that came out 3 years ago for fans whose competitive scene has never been as large as other big fighters.

I didn't just say nor imply a standard game that's been out for 3 years, though.

I specifically said:
40-150 people online is VERY low for MK9 standards

Meaning, for a reboot of the MK franchise, that had thousands upon thousands of people online at some time, 40-150 people is VERY low.

Also, while the fighting game scene is huge, the IP "Mortal Kombat" itself has millions of fans.
Not all fans who play MK9 online are tournament competing fans, as you imply.
So, 40-150 fans online IS low, considering ALL the MK "fans" that have the game at home, who may or may not be competitive fighters.

Last edited:
150 for a reboot of Mortal Kombat that has been out for 3 years, that has terrible online, requires Online Pass and has a very unbalanced roster is not low at all. You severely overestimate Mortal Kombat 9. 3 years is a long time for a fighting game. How many people do you think should be playing right now? The casual fans have had their fill of the game and have moved on. The casual MK fans who still play the game for some reason likely stick to arcade mode.

I was on MK9 online a few days ago, and it was closer to 40 than it was to 150.
Out of millions of fans in the US alone, I would expect somewhere near the 3 to 4 thousand range online.
40 - 150 people online seems rather low to me, even with terrible netcode and lag, especially considering the millions of fans in the US.
Casual fans aren't the only fans of MK either, though.
Hardcore and casual fans both make up the MK fanbase.

I can't play online even if I wanted to, because I have a satellite internet connection. Not good for online gaming because your internet signal actually has to travel to an object located in outer space which results in latency issues, but it's all we have because when I got it, it was either this or dial-up where I live, and i haven't even used dial-up since ditching AOL about a decade ago. Apparently, I missed nothing about MK9 online.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

In the thousands? You're shitting me right?
3 years playing a fighting game is something casual fighting game fans and casual MK fans do not do.
The hardcore tourney players play the game offline.

On the rare occasion I do play, I usually play late at night when I get off work. The Deadpool room is sometimes full, and then you have the Beginner room filled halfway and then the miscellaneous rooms. It's around 150

Even so, 150 hardcore fans seems pretty low, out of millions of people, considering that 4 million+ people (combined) bough the regular MK9 and the Komplete Editions of the game.
Even if 1/2 of those sales (2 million) were in the US, and half of those US fans are hardcore fans (1 million), 40-150 people out of all of those millions seems very low.