Rocksmith

Immortal Reaver

Has anyone played Rocksmith, or is interested in learning how to play guitar? It's a game similar to Rockband and Guitar Hero, but you play with a real guitar. Either your guitar or bass you already have, or they have a bundle that comes with one. The game is normally around $80 but I picked it up from Gamestop for about $50, it's on sale. It's marketed as "the fastest way to learn guitar in 60 days" or something along those lines.

The game is tons of fun. Pretty good song list too, with a lot of DLC. $2.99 for a song seems pricey at first, but it's not bad considering the game will teach you how to play the song and it's fun to play once you can play it. That's worth it to me.

I got my first guitar when I was 14, I'm currently 25. I played for like 6 months and got really discouraged because I sucked. Obviously you're going to suck though. I picked it back up when I was about 20 and I've been playing consistently for the most part since. I like doing a lot of covers, but I have my own music also. Playing with songs on Rocksmith is so much fun though, more fun than just by myself. I've definitely improved my guitar skills and I've only had the game for maybe a week. There are mini games also. It all just makes it fun to learn. I highly reccomend this game for anyone who either wants to get into guitar or already plays at any skill level.

This is my favorite song in the game. I can play the first 1:20 of the song with no problems so far.

Other songs I like:

Lamb of God - Redneck (DLC)
System of a Down - Hypnotize
Deftones - My Own Summer (Shove It)
Jack White - Sixteen Saltines
Alice in Chains - Stone
Muse - Knights of Cydonia
The Rolling Stones - Paint it, Black
Joe Satriani - Satch Boogie

Last edited:
I hear you have to change your tuning for certain songs. Problem with that is that my guitar is tuned to standard E, and it has a Floyd Rose...now I like Floyds, but changing tunings (or even the strings, themselves) can be a real pain in the ass, especially if it's a floating bridge (as is the case with the vast majority of Floyd-equipped guitars on the market today). I'm wondering if pedals such as the Morpheus Drop Tune or the Digitech Whammy DT (which incorporates the same drop-tuning function as the Morpheus Drop Tune in addition to its traditional pitch-shifting functions) would be compatible with Rocksmith.

And can a wah-wah pedal be used on Rocksmith?

Yeah good point. You do need to re-tune often. Luckily, I have multiple guitars that I keep in various tunings. I'm not exactly sure if you could use anything with Rocksmith. I would probably guess that the answer is no.

but it says the tuning on each song in the list. You could just search by tuning.

That reminds me...there's this entry-level Ibanez guitar I have that I haven't played in 9 years that I'm thinking of bringing out of retirement...except the strings are all effed up, and I need to buy some new strings. I think I last had it tuned to Eb and previously had it tuned to some lower tunings like Drop C, but I think I've outgrown the whole drop-tuning thing. I need to get me a set of these...

DV016_Jpg_Large_100917.jpg

I switch between drop and standard, they both have benefits. I mostly play in Drop Db. You like 9's?

Last edited:
In my experience, if I'm not tuning to anything lower than D, I'll stick with traditional 9-42s. If I'm tuning to C# or lower, then I'll get something heavier.

I wanna get this game SO BADLY.Can you buy a package that comes with a guitar AND the game?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Yeah they have a bundle that comes with a guitar. I think they just call it the Rocksmith Guitar Bundle. It's $199 new but I'm sure you could get a used one for cheap by now. Good luck ;D

Though, I don't really play the game anymore. As a video game, it's fun for a bit but doesn't last. As a learning tool though, it's nice. Especially for new players. but I'll be playing a song or one of the mini games, and I'll be hitting every note spot-on, but it doesn't register. That's the biggest problem with the game. Still definitely worth picking up if you want to learn guitar or get better at it.