UMK3 in MK3 psx rumor and stuff from the past...

matthewaos

So, when I was around 12 I bought MK3 along with a psx. It was the first MK game I owned, however I had played the other two in friend's snes and pc. At the time UMK3 was released for the SNES and a fried told me that if you could unlock smoke and play a a versus in the soul chamber, in the third round you had to perform a mercy. Then both players do the teleport punch and they will be teleported behind the teeth or whatever that was. The "soul flame" would be stronger or something, then fade to black and then you could fin a secret menu with a ? that would unlock UMK3!!! There was even a strategy guide for this in a magazine. After many many years of trying to see if this is real, and very dissapointed of not playing UMK3 in my all new psx, even though trilogy was released, I came to the realization that this cannot be done. Except that I found this one day:

http://mortalkombat.wikia.com/wiki/Soul_Chamber?file=Cvg_173_p_142.jpg

I guess the only truth in any of this is that maybe if both players perfcorcm the teleport upercut at the same time something like this happens. But does anyone know of this, or have heard the rumor?

It's just a rumor that has been around forever, not real sadly. Instead of making UMK3 for PSX they made MKT instead. UMK3 was only made for the 16 bit consoles and also Sega Saturn and unreleased for 3DO and Jaguar.

Yeah, that's what I ultimatetly figured. Such a shame. However is there a way to make that flame like in the picture?

a lot of people thought that umk3 was unlockable via mk3 because it asked you to enter the ultimate kombat code when unlocking smoke

a lot of people thought that umk3 was unlockable via mk3 because it asked you to enter the ultimate kombat code when unlocking smoke

Yeah plus MK3 was developed and released at about the same time that UMK3 was first released to the arcades, to draw people back to the arcade. No way they could have hidden the game in there. ;)

I was around when the rumor came to be. It's fake as hell. This was originally an edited hoax created by CVG (Computer and Video Games) magazine. They created this edits to launch an April Fool's edition for their mag. Among it, it showed a different umk3 select screen and "Pedro"; a Stryker variation.

ah the legendary pedro rumour lol, i remember that, i mean cvg were bastards back in the day, as when we were kids we tended to believe it