l= Low
O= Overhead

---

Pros and Cons
Spoiler:

Pros
-Hit confirm-able mixups.
-Great Spacing
-Trait grants multiple options. Use as a low, mid, or overhead.
-Decent damage output.
-Decent mindgames and setups.
-Decent mixups
-Decent pressure game with dash cancelling his trait.

Cons
-Horrible back dash and general movement.
-Anti-Air and Wake-Up game are severely lacking (biggest flaw)
-Normals somewhat slow

Best Normals
Spoiler:

Honor The Gods: 123 (HMM)
-Decent range. +1 on block. Easily hit confirm-able.

Olympian Might: B+13 (MM)
-Lunging forward normal. Great for footsies. Second hit can hit about 1/4 screen away. Great normal to get people off of you. High damage at 10.45. Causes stagger on block. Sometimes I do B+13, Back Dash, B+1, Back Dash, B+13, etc.

Mighty Aggression: B+21 (OM)
-I use this because it's +4 on hit. It can't really be used as a combo starter, but it is decent for pressure. On hit cancel into Dark Energy for Damage (or MB Dark Energy for an overhead if they block it), or Phase Shifter. +3 on block

Invading Force: B+23 (OM)
-Use this to lead into possible resets. Used to be confirmed into a reset, but now you can tech roll out of it. God Smack or MB God Smack are good options after it hits.

Malevolent Violence: 3D+2 (MO)
-Good overhead. Can be confirmed into MB God Smack to combo. +2 on block

Immortal Rush: 33 (MM)
-Combo starter. Can also be confirmed into MB God Smack.

Bow To Me: F+23 (MO)
-Has a little range on it. It has two main uses. The main way I use it is to make good use of the Axe trait. F+23~B4 is a super simple and easily hit confirm-able 23% combo. It's also good to use in the corner. You can also cancel into an U4 to leave them standing to prevent tech rolls and wakeup attacks. Which is especially useful in the corner. Just make sure it hits, otherwise the U4 will whiff.

Special Moves
Spoiler:

Phase Shifter: DB1
-Turns Ares semi-invisible. Good for mind games. MB version turns Ares completely invisible, and has half of the recovery frames.

God SmacK: DD2 (Mid) DD2+B (Close) DD2+F (Far)
-Ares leaps into the air, and then lands down with an unblockable attack. Can be used as far as about 97% of the screen away. Can be controlled in the air for a close version, mid version, and far version. MB version can be used to extend combos and gives armor.

Dark Energy: DF1
-High hitting projectile. MB version turns into an overhead and doubles in damage.

Warp Transmission: DF3 (Behind) DB3 (Front)
-Teleport move. Can teleport infront of or behind the opponent. To be honest, I haven't found any good reason to teleport infront of the opponent unless you don't want to teleport into the corner. Has invincibility frames on wakeup. Great way to get in on zoners, though it's recovery isn't that great. I usually do D+14 after a teleport. Your best wake-up option.

SUPER: Annihilator
-Not really worth using 4 bars. I pretty much only use this when I'm desperate and can't land my combos, it's going to win the round, or the other person is just really bad. It's only redeeming factor is that it hits overhead and is an okay anti-air.

Trait: Weapons of War
Spoiler:

Notes:
-I personally almost never use Straight Sword. Since Ares doesn't have any good low hitting strings, I use that as my low to juggle them and do mix-ups.
-The main way I use a Straight Axe is hit confirming after F+23. It will do 23% and put them full screen.
-The menu will tell you how to take out the Downward and Rising Axe differently. Don't use their method. Use the DD and UU method.
-The Straight Axe only does 4% full screen because it only hits once. I usually just use it to keep them at bay if I want to zone them out. If it does hit, you can teleport in and D14.

4: Straight Sword, hits high. One Hit,
B4: Straight Axe. Has a spinning hitbox. Hard to jump over. Hits mid. 10% damage. Only does 4% full screen. Only use full screen to try and zone.
D4: Rising Sword. Hits Low. Great after a D1. This is your main low hit with Ares.
U4: Downward Sword. Hits Overhead. At the end of a combo it's good to keep them standing.
DD4: Rising Axe. Only use within a combo string.
UU4: Downward Axe. Causes a splat. Rising and Downward Axe are mainly used in combos.

Meterless Combos
Spoiler:

37%: 112~D4, JI2, B+23, 112~Dark Energy (Main BnB)
37%: 3D4~Warp Transmission, 112~D4, God Smack
33%: 33~4(Dash Cancel), 22~D4, JI2, B+13. (Trait cancel combo, also good for spacing)

Meter Combos
Spoiler:

52%: 3D2~MB God Smack, B+3, JI3, F+23~D4, JI3, B+13 (One bar high damage)
43%: 3D2~MB God Smack, F+3, F+23~D4~Dark Energy.
36%: 3D2~MB God Smack, F+23~U4. (Leaves standing)

Corner Combos
Spoiler:

50%: F+23, F+23, F+23~D4, B+3, B+13
55%: 3D2, F+23, F+23, 112~D4, B+3, B+13

Reset Loop
Spoiler:

Ares' reset is no loner guaranteed, but it's still possible. You get the reset when you do a MB God Smack after B+23.

Option 1: 112~D4, JI2, B+23, MB God Smack, B+3, JI2, B+23 (Rinse and Repeat)

If they tech roll out of it, do a mid God Smack. If they have a good wake-up option, you have another reset option...

Option 2: 112~D4, JI2, B+23, 111~Phase Shifter, MB God Smack, B+3, JI2, B+23 (Rinse and Repeat)

You have more options, these are just the main two.

=================
UNDER CONSTRUCTION
=================

Last edited:
Gotta add his trait ability, including description in the special moves section, especially if you gonna include it in his combos.

Otherwise, very good on the guide. And sorry to take over the second spot, that would've been used to post some Ares videos up.

Nice work, I love seeing these. I think it usually depends on the popularity of the character, or discovering new tech that can generate some hype. I know you're a pretty high level Ares player and you only provided 3 meterless BnBs. Thats not gonna get most peoples attention. When I've played Ares on occasion I don't MB with him too often so I was going off with that super move lol. One of my favorites in the whole game.

I don't expect an Ares thread to get a lot of attention but really none of them are that much. Which is why I haven't been putting more into the thread.

First of all, The photo was removed.
Second of all, he was always my favorite character in design and super-wise in Injustice. I loved him in this game.
He deserved a spot in MKvDC.