Def Jam: Fight For NY Tier List

Shirayuki Mizore

Notice:

Spoiler:
In this tier list I am not playing favorites, so my opinion will be completely unbiased.

This tier list also runs off the match beginning with the standard intro, where both characters perform their intros before the fight begins. This is because if you get the intro where your character starts off with a weapon, it puts your opponent at a significant disadvantage, due to mandatory health loss, and the weapon-wielder can also get another free hit with the weapon before their opponent recovers.

This tier list also does not entirely run off stats, but they are put into consideration, especially factors like health, speed, and power.

Blazin' moves should also be taken into consideration, as they play a large part in the fight, and can make for a quick, easy finisher.

Also, there will be no female characters in this list because of the huge stat difference, the only one that can really do work is Kimora, unless you match them with a shitty character. You can basically assume that they are all D tier, besides Kimora who can make C tier.

S Tier:

Ludacris
Snoop Dogg (Crow)
D-Mob

A Tier:

Ice-T
Memphis Bleek
Xzibit
Prodigy
Havoc
Redman (Doc)
Crazy Legs
N.O.R.E
Warren G

B-Tier:

Capone
Freeway
Henry Rollins
Lil' Flip
Joe Budden
Busta Rhymes (Magic)
Sticky Fingaz
Jacob
Scarface
Slick Rick
Mack-10

C-Tier:

Baby Chris
Fam-Lay
Method Man (Blaze)
Fat Joe (Crack)
Bubba Sparxxx
WC
Ghostface Killah
Comp
Rome
David Banner
Dan G
Elephant Man
O.E.
Bless
Trick
House
Teck
Manny
Nyne
Pockets
Skull
Kimora
Sean Paul
Solo

D-Tier:

Meca
Baxter
Santos
Bo
Bone Crusher
Chiang
Cruz
Flava Flav
Starks
Masa
Trejo

Shit Tier:

Jervis

Some notes:

I believe Ludacris belongs at the top of the list due to his intense speed, allowing pressure to be put on your opponent. Speed plays a huge factor in this game, which is why Method Man and Fat Joe were pushed down to C-tier, because their wrestling fighting style is not like, Tekken King effective, only just slowing them down. Memphis Bleek and Xzibit are also basically underpowered versions of Ludacris.

There's a reason why Snoop and D-Mob are the final bosses of the game. D-Mob can dish out a hell of a beating, and take one as well, while Snoop Dogg has the balance of power and speed. Ice-T is basically an underpowered version of Snoop, which is why he made top A-tier.

Prodigy and Havoc also deserved A-Tier because both characters are basically Jack of All Trades characters, being able to have success in any situation. N.O.R.E and Warren G are basically underpowered versions of them, while Redman made A-Tier due to his speed, but he has both good Upper, and Lower Body power. Crazy Legs is very underestimated, having excellent speed as well, but a lacking upper power, meaning you'd have to rely on kicks only.

Jervis is shit tier because his stats put him at an incredible disadvantage. He loses health incredibly fast, and even his blazin' move does just a bit more damage than a normal grab from D-Mob or a wrestling character like Method Man. Taking on a character like D-Mob with Jervis is like trying to kill a Navy Seal with a Nerf Gun.

Busta Rhymes was also put into B tier because his normals are lacking, and the submission system forces you to rely on the same grabs the whole match if you're planning to work on a body part.

Flava Flav is D-Tier because he's a version of Snoop Dogg but doused in shit and urine.

Last edited:
Xzibit is my favorite character, but there's no way he's A tier. His OTG options are trash and his option select off of a whiffed Knuckle Shuffle is limited.

Xzibit is my favorite character, but there's no way he's A tier. His OTG options are trash and his option select off of a whiffed Knuckle Shuffle is limited.

He's a bootleg version of Ludacris, lol.

His strikes are great, but his random submission trait puts him down, since submission is lame in this game.

I like the submission style. Have that mixed with Martial Arts and you'll be able to wither down your opponents' limb health down (make sure you attack that same area, although don't get negative points for doing the same move over and over again.) My created character is proficient in taking down your limb health and it's quick.

Profile:
Dragona
Fighting Styles: Martial Arts, Kickboxing, Submissions

Stats:
Upper Body: Mid-Low
Lower Body: Max
Speed: Max
Health: Mid
Toughness: High
Charisma: Very High

I'll use Doc (Redman) as my non-custom character and teach my enemies the urban roshambo style. :)

I know this seems off-topic but still related. I wanna re-release of Def Jam Vendetta. That shit was awesome! Briggs was my man.

I'm just happy that this game is respected and fondly-enough remembered to even HAVE a tier list at this point. This is definitely in my top 5 fighting games ever, and I remember being made to feel ashamed when telling "true" fighting game fans how much I love the game. I so wish they'd make another game with this game's mechanics, even if it wasn't a continuation of the Vendetta/FFNY story (though if it was, holy crap that'd be amazing)

Going off the tournament I'd say this

S tier- Crow (Only character banned for being to powerful)

A tier- Doc, Xzibit, Ludacris, David Banner (While many will say the Ludacris is better than Xzbit the tournament says otherwise with the only character being a counter to doc was Xzbit who could keep up with him and take more punishment)

B tier- Capone, Bubba Sparks, Henry Rollins, Slick Rick, Erick Sermon

Last edited: