Wrestling to be dropped from the Olympics. WTF?

Love Cowboy

The IOC recently announced that they are dropping wrestling from the Olympics. That's right. Wrestling. One of the oldest sports known to man. One of the sports included in the ancient Greek Olympics. A sport accessible to people of all countries, all social classes, etc. Meanwhile, such sports as Sailing and Modern Pentathlon, dominated by rich, turtleneck-wearing Swedes, continue to be part of the Olympic lineup. Tell me I'm not the only one here who thinks the Olympic movement just moved backward a few decades.

Man what the hell!?

Since I wrestled in high school this fvcking blows man. Is there a petition I can sign to keep it there?

I got the impression that the Olympics was corrupted for some time. Anyways, there are way too many events in the short amount of time . Some sports could have been merged together. Seriously, how many variations of track, swimming, and cycling events do we need?

If the Greek Gods of Mount Olympus were real, then they would be raining their wrath down on the IOC for urinating on the very legacy of what the Ancient Greeks invented!

Yet they keep shit like curling.

HOW DO YOU PICK CURLING OVER WRESTLING?

Curling as actually a fairly major winter sport, one of Canada's national sports if I'm not seriously mistaken.

That being said, I am baffled by the decision to remove wrestling from the event. The Olympics are one of the oldest continuing events in human history, even if there was that 2000 year gap in the middle. To remove one of the original events from the itinerary just shows how businesslike the Olympics have become. They did remove it because of low ticket sales after all. What I really don't understand is how they can remove wrestling, yet keep things like say... the equestrian events. The horse navigates the fancy obstacle course, and the jockey gets a medal? Since when did the Olympics celebrate the athletic capabilities of horses?

It's all about the money these days...

And how many current Olympic events are there that were contested during the original Greek Olympics? Basketball was invented by James Naismith, who was born around millennia AFTER the original Greek Olympics fell apart, yet that is being contested in the Olympics. Baseball was invented during the time of the Civil War, and that was recently dropped from the Olympics (I'm convinced the stigma associated with baseball's "Steroid Era" had something to do with the IOC dropping that one). Soccer was invented in the same century as Baseball, and it's being contested at the Olympics (although I fully believe that Soccer was the absolute WORST sports invention ever, and I will stand by that until the day I die). Yet, the IOC urinated on the history of the Olympics by dropping a sport that traces its history all the way back to the ORIGINAL Olympics! Like I said, if Zeus and the gang were real, then they would have absolutely slaughtered the IOC for this travesty!

Curling as actually a fairly major winter sport, one of Canada's national sports if I'm not seriously mistaken.

I know, lol, but it is seriously a pathetic 'sport'.

Well, just my opinion, anyway, but, curling is stupid, wrestling is godly, this is a stupid decision.

I know, lol, but it is seriously a pathetic 'sport'.

Well, just my opinion, anyway, but, curling is stupid, wrestling is godly, this is a stupid decision.

I've curled myself a little bit, and it is a surprisingly enjoyable game... Even if I could barely get the rock across the ice :laugh:

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree regarding that. I'm definitely with you regarding the bullshit of dropping wrestling though.

Since curling is a Winter Olympic sport, it didn't factor into the decision. But still, there are plenty of Summer Olympic sports that should have been cut over wrestling

WWE ruined it xD jkjk

Ah-hah! We went 10 posts before someone mentioned "the fake version!" By the way, "wrestling" refers to what you see in High School, College, and the Olympics! The actual term to describe WWE and the like is actually "Rasslin'"! Let me just get that out of the way right now, and every person who posts on this thread from here on out contractually agrees NOT to even mention the fake stuff in this thread, is that clear?! Good!

Oh geez, imagine how Kurt Angle a 98' gold medal winner of Olympic wrestling felt when he heard the news.

Kurt Angle said:
Nobody ever thought that wrestling -- the world's oldest sport, the world's greatest sport, the most traditional sport -- would get dropped. I'm in shock. I can't believe it.

Can you blame him at all? I certainly can't.

Here's the link for the article I copied Angle's quote from: http://www.wtae.com/news/local/alle...ics/-/10927008/18525394/-/b6qt24/-/index.html

Last edited:
There is no shortage of wrestlers, so why wrestling has to axed is beyond me. The variations of the sport is practiced in just about every corner of the world. Mongolia, for instance, has a long tradition of wrestling. Most of their Olympic athletes compete in Greco-Roman/Freestyle wrestling and Judo.

It needs dropping now Batista won

Once again, WWE and the like is called Rasslin', and "wrestling" refers to the REAL sport that's contested in High School, College, and the Olympics which traces its roots to the Original Greek Olympics. Rasslin', on the other hand, traces its roots to 19th century carnivals.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk