Metal Gear Solid

DCP

You Got Caged!!
Since TRMK doesn't have a proper Metal Gear Solid thread, I decided to write one. I didn't copy any any of this from the Metal Gear Wiki since that thing is HORRIBLE. Seriously, don't ever use that thing. It's written by a bunch of morons who speculate a lot of things and create confusion for the fans. Also, I didn't include Portable Ops or the Metal Gear AC!D series because they are NOT CANON. Final note, if you guys want to watch high level gameplay of the various Metal Gear games, please check out my Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/DCPvids

*I will be buying MGR:R day one and starting my playthrough right away so don't miss it!*

Metal_Gear_cover.jpg

The very first game in the series, and the one that kick-started not only the Metal Gear franchise, but the stealth genre. This 1987 title by Hideo Kojima introduced the concept of avoiding enemies entirely. The game introduces and stars the now famous "Solid Snake" who is a rookie agent in the organization "FOXHOUND". His mission involves sneaking into the hostile nation of Outer Heaven to destroy Metal Gear, a bipedal walking tank capable of launching nuclear missiles from anywhere in the world.

Metal_Gear_2_Boxart.JPG

The TRUE sequel to Kojima's "Metal Gear" (Snake's Revenge was a stupid title ported to the NES without Hideo's permission or involvement. It is not canon whatsoever) Solid Snake must once again conduct a solo-sneaking mission to destroy the newly revised Metal Gear D, in Zanzibar Land. MG2 was released in Japan in 1990, but wasn't released in the west for 16 years because of Snake's Revenge.

metal-gear-solid.jpg

Arguably one of the best video games of all time, the 1998 release of "Metal Gear Solid" for the Playstation created a worldwide phenomenon. Pushing not only the graphics of the Playstation to it's limits but also what you could do in terms of gameplay. This stealth action game classified as "Tactical Espionage Action" further established stealth and non-confrontational tactics, as you once again play as the now legendary, Solid Snake. Snake is forced out of retirement to take on the job of infiltrating Shadow Moses Island, a known nuclear weapon disposal facility in the hope of eliminating a terrorist threat. A lot of now iconic characters are introduced such as, Liquid Snake, Sniper Wolf, Psycho Mantis, and Gray Fox.

tumblr_mcquxbj1F31qe2qqzo1_1351664438_cover.jpg

If Metal Gear Solid pushed the limits of the Playstation, the same can be said about Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty and the Playstation 2. MGS2 was released in November of 2001, and was praised by most fans. Due to the controversial "twist" in the game, some fans were turned off to this title. The game introduces a bunch of new characters, most important of which is Raiden. The new rookie member of Foxhound sent to infiltrate the "Big Shell". Gameplay was improved dramatically by adding new features such as the ability to aim-down-sights, rolling into enemies, hiding enemy bodies in lockers, and vastly improved enemy AI. This game also introduced the "European Extreme" mode which was implemented in the game after the European release was delayed.

250px-Mgs3box.jpg

Praised by many fans as the best out of the series, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater took the series back to it's roots. In this final installation of Metal Gear Solid for the Playstation 2, you take on the role of "Naked Snake" (later known as Big Boss). Your mission is to sneak through the jungles in the very first outdoor survival mission. Definitely the largest and most open-world out of the games so far, Snake Eater implements a new type of stealth gameplay. You are given a multitude of camouflages that vary in color to better suit whichever type of terrain you encounter. Another new addition, is the implementation of "stamina recovery" (hunting various animals helps replenish your stamina, which when full, recovers your health over time). The special edition of this game (Subsistence) was the first to introduce online competitive gameplay. Snake Eater was released in 2004.

256px-Mgs4us_cover_small.jpg

The final chapter of the Metal Gear Solid series released in 2008. This game wraps up the whole series thus far, and tells of the finals mission Solid Snake takes part in. Snake, now an old man (due to accelerated aging) agrees to take on this final mission of stopping Liquid Ocelot's insurrection of the SOP system dubbed "Guns of the Patriots". Full of nostalgia inducing moments, MGS4 received high praise from the masses and most casual Metal Gear fans. The more hardcore followers of the series however felt the game gave a sloppy explanation for past events attributing most things to "nanomachines". Whichever side of the spectrum you stand on, there is no doubt that this game was a HUGE selling point for the PS3. It's graphics still hold up to this day as being one of the best on the PS3 even after five years. The second iteration of Metal Gear Online (MGO2) was also released as a bundle on the MGS4 disc, and as a stand alone game in Japan.

Metal_Gear_Solid_Peace_Walker_Cover_Art.jpg

Ten years after the events of Snake Eater, Naked Snake (now known as Big Boss) starts his own mercenary group called "Military Sans Frontieres" (Soldiers Without Borders) with his most trusted ally Kaz. This game was released in 2010 for the Playstation Portable handheld system was was named the best game for the system multiple times since then. Peace Walker introduced many new elements to the series, such as the ability to tackle missions with friends through "co-ops", RPG-like motherbase building, weapon development and unlocking, and "Extra-Ops" fun side missions separate from it's main story. A refreshing entry to the series, Peace Walker builds a lot of material for the upcoming MGS title "Ground Zeroes". This title has now been rereleased as part of the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection.

250px-Americanps3risingart.jpg

The upcoming Metal Gear title; Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is a canon, but spinoff title that tells of the events four years after Metal Gear Solid 4. The main character in this entry is Raiden, who has taken a job as a bodyguard for V.I.Ps. Raiden, now equipped with a powerful new cyborg body, fights to protect those that are innocent. Due to the title of this game bearing the "Metal Gear" brand, a lot of fans are angry that this game doesn't feature Snake, and isn't a tactical espionage entry into the series. However the dropping of the word "Solid" from the title, and direct explanation from both Hideo Kojima himself and Platinumgames should clear up how this is a spinoff title taking place AFTER the main series. This game is to be released February 19th, 2013.​

I'm hoping that Ground Zeroes ends up being a remake of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, combined into 1 game.
I would jizz in my pants if that was the case.

Thanks for this thread, though, DCP. ;)

I'm not as good gameplay-wise, but I've been a MGS fan ever since the PS1 days, and it's my other favorite game series aside from Mortal Kombat.
Got a Gamecube only for The Twin Snakes, and even though people always shit on that version, I think it was a decent remake and still enjoy it.
It will never be as good as MGS 1, but it isn't shitty either.

I got a PS3 when MGS4 came out, although many other additions to the PS3 (aside from MGS) also influenced that purchase.

I'm not big on Rising because I don't like that gameplay style, but nonetheless, I'm SUPER hyped for MGS 5 and Ground Zeroes.

I'm hoping that Ground Zeroes ends up being a remake of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, combined into 1 game.
I would jizz in my pants if that was the case.

Thanks for this thread, though, DCP. ;)

I'm not as good gameplay-wise, but I've been a MGS fan ever since the PS1 days, and it's my other favorite game series aside from Mortal Kombat.
Got a Gamecube only for The Twin Snakes, and even though people always shit on that version, I think it was a decent remake and still enjoy it.
It will never be as good as MGS 1, but it isn't shitty either.

I got a PS3 when MGS4 came out, although many other additions to the PS3 (aside from MGS) also influenced that purchase.

I'm not big on Rising because I don't like that gameplay style, but nonetheless, I'm SUPER hyped for MGS 5 and Ground Zeroes.

MGS5 will probably lead into MG. At least that's what would make the most sense. There's still a decent size gap before MG1.

Same. I wasn't even alive when the originals released, but my first experience with Metal Gear Solid definitely played a huge part in shaping my obsession with the series lol. My problem with the Twin Snakes is the waaaay over-dramatic cutscenes and the MGS2 mechanics kinda ruined the boss fights and various parts of the game.

MGS5 will probably lead into MG. At least that's what would make the most sense. There's still a decent size gap before MG1.

Same. I wasn't even alive when the originals released, but my first experience with Metal Gear Solid definitely played a huge part in shaping my obsession with the series lol. My problem with the Twin Snakes is the waaaay over-dramatic cutscenes and the MGS2 mechanics kinda ruined the boss fights and various parts of the game.

That would be cool too.
I'd love to see it lead up to Snake fighting Frank Jaeger in the minefield, which would lead right up to MGS 1.

Over dramatic cut-scenes are what MGS has ALWAYS been about, even in MGS 1, the cut-scenes were over-dramatic.
That's just Hideo Kojima for you.
I actually think that the cutscenes in Rising are a bit too over-dramatic and exaggerated, but that's not Kojima's fault.
I can understand some of the boss fights feeling cheapened by TTS MGS2 game mechanics, but I just set the game to hard or European Extreme and it was all good.

Yes, but compare these two cutscenes.

Original - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=yS25ub3BCNo#t=66s

Twin Snakes - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Ko-l2qHEcpo#t=370s

Hideo Kojima didn't direct the cutscenes in the Twin Snakes. He told the director at Silicon Knights to do everything his style.

The only thing that was a little over the top was the guy getting up after that fall, when he was on fire, and Snake punched him in the face.
Aside from that, I thought that Snake dropping the pin of the grenade and walking away as it explodes was a pretty cool touch.

MGS1 will always be my favorite MGS game. MGS1 is also tied with my favorite game of all time (tied with Persona 3:FES).

Also

Spoiler:
MetalGear039_zps1ca61ff8.jpg

Gray Fox was my hero when I was a kid and still is.

I never finished MGS3: Snake Eater, it's about that time I get around to doing that. Must be because I viewed a whole playthrough on youtube, lol.

I love the Snake Eater theme song during Snake's fight with The Boss. The instrumental version blended with the vocal version just gives me chills.

Last edited:
I never finished MGS3: Snake Eater, it's about that time I get around to doing that. Must be because I viewed a whole playthrough on youtube, lol.

I love the Snake Eater theme song during Snake's fight with The Boss. The instrumental version blended with the vocal version just gives me chills.

Yeah, the Snake Eater theme is probably the best song in the series.

Nowadays I beat her too quick to even hear this theme though, lol.

Lol, I do like the feature of where you can just make "The End" croak for you taking to long since your last save. Funny, I have a save right on the end and I haven't played in a while.

These little things just make the game so great.

Also, I love the conversation between Naked Snake and Donald "Sigint" Anderson about how Snake obtained "The Patriot". There was a video of it on youtube, but I can't find it. I think the codec in mid conversation went: "Where did you get it?" "Sigint, don't get hanged up over details" lol.

European Extreme The Boss fight that quick? Damn I am envious, if only I had that difficulty.

Last edited:
MGS3 is my favorite Metal Gear, along with Portable Ops (even though it's non-canon) and it has my most favorite MG character ever.

Gene <3

MGS3 was the only game that I thoroughly enjoyed from the series. I remember my friend let me borrow the special edition with the minigame involving the Ape Escape apes.

I have Peacewalker too, but I never got around to finishing it.

I also had one for Ps1, but I can't even remember.

Yeah, Metal Gear Solid 3 is my favorite as well. With Peace Walker and MGS1 tied for second on my list.

MGS 1 and MGS 2 are my top 2 MGS games, with MGS 4 in close 2nd place.
Seeing Shadow Moses in MGS 4, after so many years made me shed manly tears. ;)
The MGS stage that started the whole SOLID series (Shadow Moses). :love:

Didn't know there was a Metal Gear thread.

I've played every core console Metal Gear game since the first one on PS1.

I have not played any handheld games, because I've never bought a handheld.

My favorite parts in Metal gear are just the subtle little things here and there. where Kojima trolls me.

You know... like in Snake Eater when they talk about the James Bond movies and he's like "I wouldn't be surprised if they made 20 more of those movies"

or how you can wait out the old man sniper.

Obviously the story telling is top-notch, and pretty damn deep. And I like it's 90% realism with it's 10% fantasy/science fiction aspects. I think this is a sick formula that really attracts me to this series.