Online Play Experiences

wesmel06

I've had the game for a long time but didn't start playing 1 on 1 ranked matches until a couple of weeks ago on Xbox 360. My findings are pretty disappointing overall. I have a hard time finding people I like to play with because.....

1) People spam too many of the same moves. I don't know how many different people I have played who use characters like Kabal, Reptile, Smoke, and the like who just charge over and over or teleport back and forth to win. I played one guy who used Smoke and I just basically low blocked the vast majority of the match and used uppercuts. That or Sheeva players who use the unblockable stomp relentlessly. Or Scorpion with the back and forth uppercuts. Gets old and is upsetting. One guy played Noob Saibot and used his shadow slide so many times so fast I couldn't get up off of the ground lol. Drives me crazy but some of these things are beatable if you learn their routine and adjust yours accordingly but still aggravating.

2)People spam too many of the same combos. This isn't as bad as number 3 but it's close. They find one combo that works well for them and don't do anything else the entire time. It's almost always in the exact same order and they just go right back into it if you use a combo breaker. Sometimes I use all of my energy bar just for combo breakers because they don't relent their memorized button combinations for 2 seconds lol. It pisses me off more than spamming one single special move.

3)People who use seemingly infinite/unbreakable combos. I have played people with over 10,000 wins who get me in what they call trap combos. One guy told me they were designed to be annoying and not give the other player any chance at all of victory. Really?? Who plays like that lol? I played one guy who juggled me in the air the entire time pretty much. I couldn't seem to get a breath or even start an offense as he devastated me. Some of these combos take away over 50% of your life bar. A lot of people who use them get them from other players or youtube. What happened to creating your own combos or winning by actual talent lol?

4) This is probably the least annoying but the xray moves make me mad sometime. Two buttons for a 40% damage move? Really? I know I can use them just like anyone else but something about it just doesn't feel right. It's like a little kids emergency move when he knows he can't beat your or something lol. Devastating inside of an already huge combo as well.

I guess I'm old fashioned and play for fun over statistics. I prefer to use several combos ranging from an acceptable 3-7 moves and mix it up with different special attacks while I admit I prefer some over others. I just get frustrated when the entire online community for ranked matches is guilty of one or maybe all of those things above. Where is the fun in knowing your 60% combo is going to make it near impossible to lose or trapping a person in the corner the entire game with a combo? When I face someone who spams the same move, combo, and uses tactics that aren't sporting I just want to quit playing online altogether.

Anyone have any tips on how to deal with some of these subjects? Seems like I can't mount an offense with some of them because of the constant button assaults of infinite combos. Anyone else feel the same?

There are tons of threads about MK9 excuse for online...Take the time to look them up before starting new threads PLEASE!

All due respect this is how the game is played and works.

If your prepared to put time in and learn, kick out the nonsense made up rules and live to win you may find it more enjoyable.

Learn matchups so you know what to expect and practice.

Are you in the US or the EU?

@Wesmel06 - Only advice I can give you is learn how to play the game - not not saying you don't know how, I'm just stating that you need to lvl up. I have an 75% 1 meter combo with Cyrax and couldn't get it out against Lariat because he never opened up to the baits and conditioning. I was force to use small set ups that only got me about 26% on average to chip away with. As for "spamming" you must not know about dash blocking, come back and post after you come accross a high lvl Freddy zoner :rofl: I'm sure you will need a new controller as they are known for generating a ton of rage.

BTW: 40% per combos is about the average damage in this game since most of the cast can reach that much with ease.

Instead of telling us about bad experiences.

you can turn those bad experiences into a learning/fun experience.

If you just ask for help on how to deal with stuff.

I'll help you anytime. just ask specific things you have problems with and i'll do my best to explain all the options.

I'm from the U.S for those asking.

I have around a 50% win rate and have gone to 7 wins in a row. I know how to put together some decent combos. I mean with Rain I can easily go a tad over 10 hits if the opportunity presents itself. The problem lies in the fact that some players force me to basically block the entire time and there is NEVER an opportunity to put a combo together with them. I use my energy bar breaking up their combos and at times like I said before get stuck being juggled in the corner or in the air somewhere.

Most of the losses I have received are from players with 10,000 wins plus usually. Despite the list of complaints I had I'm more interested in how to deal with these people. I want to be able to go on offense instead of playing defense the entire time. I just am lost on how to fight an opponent who's character is always in the middle of a combo with a damage range of 40 or more percent even after I break their combo or knock them back with a lucky move here and there. It's like they just restart the same combo and get me stuck again. Sometimes blocking even fails to stop these combos from starting.

Also it seems like the online community is small for ranked matches. Most of the losses I get are from the same players. I get stuck playing them even after I make them avoided players when I submit a player review. Is the online community just really small these days? Is it basically just hardcore players only because I don't see a lot of players with under 1000 wins and all that.

Spammers are annoying but beatable once you get their routine down. These people however make me feel like I have lost from the get go and have little or no chance of any retaliation. As for leveling up my game...I don't mind practicing but I don't want to do the exact same stuff I am complaining about others doing lol. I just want a way to neutralize them to level the field a bit.

Wesmel,
I had the same issue with the blocking portion and submitting but thanks to a little help from Critical-Limit I now know how to stuff the pressure addicts. Most people will bait you into full combos by mixing up there pokes (example: 1-1-11-1-11-111) Cage players rely on F3-3 a lot because there are so many options (F3, B3, nutpunch, projectile, etc.) Try D1, D3, or D4 to stuff the attack or to regain some space. Also, fuzzy blocking is important because of high, low set-ups (be cautious fuzzy blocking against cage players as they may leave you in down guard for the overhead+preasure). Being that the game is based on chaining preset strings and specials to create combos - most of them will all look the same because that's how the game was built. Try mixing up your ground set ups, anti-air attacks, and cross-up combos to link into strings to create variations of your combos. Lastly, the meter at the bottom of the screen is more important than the meter at the top of the screen - manage your meter to give yourself an upper hand (example: winning a match but using two bars to break a combo to secure round 1 vs. losing a match and using 1 bar to extend your combo to inflict enough damage to win round one, thus saving a bar of meter for round two)

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips.

I'll keep at it I suppose and try not to get too frustrated with some of these players. I played a Sheeva player who pissed me off just yesterday. He spammed her stomp the entire time and didn't even try any other moves or combos. Annoying as hell. Not 1 move other than the stomp. I believe he did it on purpose because I beat him badly when he used other characters lol.

Yeah these long combos and not being able to even touch some of these people is going to take practice for sure.

Thanks for the tips.

I'll keep at it I suppose and try not to get too frustrated with some of these players. I played a Sheeva player who pissed me off just yesterday. He spammed her stomp the entire time and didn't even try any other moves or combos. Annoying as hell. Not 1 move other than the stomp. I believe he did it on purpose because I beat him badly when he used other characters lol.

Yeah these long combos and not being able to even touch some of these people is going to take practice for sure.

I'll go in depth with some basics for you real quick.

With Rain, to open them up you have to use the fear of your high damage combos to make them limit themselves.

Rain does something like 40-50% damage combos on full combos.

http://www.trmk.org/forums/showthread.php/28531-How-to-build-a-ground-game?highlight=

Read this, and notice the bubbles around Cyrax/Sektor? your opponent depending on the character has a max distance that they can reach out to you with a poke or an attack.

you need to weave in and out of that "danger zone" to bait an attack as rain. Once they whiff and miss you. You're suppose to whiff punish with I believe 3(might be 4? someone confirm for me)-> Round house.

and you get a combo off any whiffs. you make them whiff by backing up at the right time when you expect them to go offensive. The second you see them throw out an attack. If you're spaced properly you should be able to hit them out of their attack, hence while they are unable to block.

Round house is your bread/butter

You can do a mix up like 3>roundhouse(hold) dash 3>roundhouse(hold) dash out, 3>roundhouse(hold)

now you might be like. Well... they can just hit me if I hold it!!

and you'd be right. But they have to assume you're going to hold it to hit you. If they just straight up throw out a move after 3, You can just let go of roundhouse, and full punish them.

Or they'll keep eating 3's all day. And if they are scared and you want just a little damage 3>roundhouse(hold) dash grab.

Rain also has a sort of crap conditioner where he does F2,B4(I think?) it's where he smashes over your head with both hands and trips. do that enough times and they want to block low and you 50/50 them with F2,1+2.

Rain can also full combo by using Armor from his EX round house.

Ex round house after a string, where you think they'll try to counter attack. Hold the EX round house, You'll have armor while you're holding it. Then dash and start your combo when they attack your armor.

Or you can just let EX round house go when you confirm that they hit your armor.

Last edited:
Here's two time MK9 MLG champion REO explaining Rain and the best way to open opponents up for damage. He gets into frame data and shows some high damaging combos enjoy.

Last edited:
Thanks for the further advice.

I like Rain and find him to be a really cool character but I've been experimenting with Sub Zero here lately. His ice clone has helped me tremendously against people who won't stay off my ass lol. The freezing gives me a chance to be offensive against players who otherwise would get me stuck blocking and using combo breakers.

I like to use Noob Saibot too but really only manage to hit 3-4 hit combos with him. His teleport becomes predictable after you have played a person for a while as well. I find him to be kind of limiting sometimes. He is fun to use against people talking crap on the mic though. I spammed some young kid on purpose with the shadow charge because he wouldn't shut the hell up lol. He sounded like he was about to cry before he lost. Sent me a dirty message afterwards too but oh well.

I'm getting sick of seeing Scorpion/Kung Lao/Mileena players online. One day that's almost all I ran into. The flying kick and the roll by Mileena players is pretty much all they seem to use. Kung Lao players sit on the spin move and they do nothing but teleport constantly. Scorpion players try his teleporting uppercut move way too much. Smoke players abuse him as well with the 2 moves of death being the powder throw and the teleport punch but I don't see as many players use him as those 3. I think those 3 are used more often because they are relatively easy to play but who knows.

The best defense is a good offense and I'm trying to kick the habit of using block so much because really good players know how to get past it I have learned the hard way.

Thanks for the further advice.

I like Rain and find him to be a really cool character but I've been experimenting with Sub Zero here lately. His ice clone has helped me tremendously against people who won't stay off my ass lol. The freezing gives me a chance to be offensive against players who otherwise would get me stuck blocking and using combo breakers.

I like to use Noob Saibot too but really only manage to hit 3-4 hit combos with him. His teleport becomes predictable after you have played a person for a while as well. I find him to be kind of limiting sometimes. He is fun to use against people talking crap on the mic though. I spammed some young kid on purpose with the shadow charge because he wouldn't shut the hell up lol. He sounded like he was about to cry before he lost. Sent me a dirty message afterwards too but oh well.

I'm getting sick of seeing Scorpion/Kung Lao/Mileena players online. One day that's almost all I ran into. The flying kick and the roll by Mileena players is pretty much all they seem to use. Kung Lao players sit on the spin move and they do nothing but teleport constantly. Scorpion players try his teleporting uppercut move way too much. Smoke players abuse him as well with the 2 moves of death being the powder throw and the teleport punch but I don't see as many players use him as those 3. I think those 3 are used more often because they are relatively easy to play but who knows.

The best defense is a good offense and I'm trying to kick the habit of using block so much because really good players know how to get past it I have learned the hard way.

I play Noob Saibot competitively, so I can teach you him.

Subzero I know alot about.

Noob saibot's Mid screen combos are very limited but he's got some tricks I can show you.

I'll upload a Noob saibot video for you.