Discuss why this is the best MK of the entire series.

Mortal Kombat II will always be my personal favorite for a variety of reasons. I remember the day I first came across the cabinet at a local pizza/sub shop, and begged my mom for a few quarters to play. I got destroyed by Jax in the first battle, and he performed The Deadpool stage fatality on me; I couldn't believe what I was seeing! I'm pretty sure I had nightmares of skeletons floating in acid many nights afterward.

The AI can be troublesome at times, but not if you've learned the ins-and-outs of taunting and fishing your opponent into position. There are so many good (and unintentional) juggle combos for a lot of characters, and the game gets more fun as you figure out how to decimate the initially-unfair AI. Graphics, sound, control - everything was perfect for this stellar arcade release over 20 years ago!

Which is the best of the MKII releases? Personally I've always heard it's the 32X version. Basically it's the same as the Genesis, but with very slight upgrades, making it the definitive version. Thoughts?

MKII and UMK3 are my favorite games. UMK3 for the gameplay and MKII for the other things. IMO UMK3 Gameplay was faster, the run button and the chain combos are good.