Mortal Kombat: Vengeance (MUGEN) Roster and progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustMKollum

Hello everyone!

I have some exciting news for you all! If you guys remember a while back, I introduced our MUGEN game called Mortal Kombat: Bloodlust,

http://www.trmk.org/forums/showthread.php/27637-Mortal-Kombat-Bloodlust-%28MUGEN%29

but it's now known as

mortalkombatlogo.jpg

It's time for you all to know the roster
and I will post some progress of the characters as we move along, so that way you guys can see we're working on the game.

MORTAL KOMBAT: VENGEANCE ROSTER

• Ashrah
  • Baraka
  • Bo Rai Cho
  • Cyrax
  • Ermac
  • Fujin
  • Havik
  • Jade
  • Jax
  • Johnny Cage
  • Kai
  • Kano
  • Kenshi
  • Kitana
  • Kung Lao
  • Li Mei
  • Mavado
  • Mileena
  • Nightwolf
  • Nitara
  • Quan Chi
  • Rain
  • Reiko
  • Reptile
  • Scorpion
  • Sheeva
  • Shinnok
  • Sindel
  • Smoke
  • Sonya
  • Stryker
  • Sub-Zero
  • Tanya
  • Tremor

There are a few things you should know about why this thread has been created

1. We have changed the title and storyline of the game due to staff-related issues.

I have no intention of going back to the old thread to discuss our progress, since it's under the old name, and content in the game has been altered since the old thread.

2. We have received many questions regarding if the game has been cancelled or if it's still being worked on. This thread is created to show our progress as we move along, including all the 3D Models of the characters and arenas being built. Our work is open for critiques and this will help our game and us as artists grow.

That's everything we will reveal for now. I hope you guys are excited for the roster, because we are! I'm looking forward to sharing the progress of the game with you all.

Enjoy!

To kick things off, here is the 1st character progress - Ashrah

Ashrah Progress1.jpg

This is her model I am working on in Zbrush. So far, no wrinkles. I'm not doing the wrinkles in the clothing until I have every bit of clothing on her; she only has clothing from her stomach and up so far.

Glad to see it's still in action. Do you still need a biographer/storyline writer or help with anything? If so, let me know.

Glad to see it's still in action. Do you still need a biographer/storyline writer or help with anything? If so, let me know.

Yes, we do need a biographer. We actually have the storyline already planned out. If you are interested, you may help us write the biographies based off of what we came up with for the roles of the characters and how they fit into the storyline.

A biographer is actually one of the most important roles we need help with at this point. It would be great if you could help us! :)

Sure thing. Send me the storyline and I'll get to work right away. And if you can, send me the artwork for stages and characters as well.

Does this take place after MK9? MORTAL KOMBAT: VENGEANCE ROSTER

Ashrah
Baraka
Bo Rai Cho
Cyrax
Ermac
Fujin
Havik
Jade
Jax
Johnny Cage
Kai
Kano
Kenshi
Kitana
Kung Lao
Li Mei
Mavado
Mileena
Nightwolf
Nitara
Quan Chi
Rain
Reiko
Reptile
Scorpion
Sheeva
Shinnok
Sindel
Smoke
Sonya
Stryker
Sub-Zero
Tanya
Tremor

Could you add Skarlet too? Skarlet is nice.

And plus... are you gonna add new moves to the characters from MK4-MKD? Plus... will this become a real computer internet flash game?

Last edited:
Does this take place after MK9? MORTAL KOMBAT: VENGEANCE ROSTER

Could you add Skarlet too?

And plus... are you gonna add new moves to the characters from MK4-MKD? Plus... will this become a real computer internet flash game?

No actually, this game will be taking place around Mortal Kombat: Armageddon.

We actually did consider adding Skarlet and we have concept art for her, but we decided we're not going to use her right now. Sorry. Yes, we are also adding new moves to A LOT of the characters.

No, this is not an internet flash game. This game is downloadable and made with the MUGEN Engine. It will be a computer program/game basically, not posted on the internet.

Last edited:
I finally got around to modeling more clothing for Ashrah. I added the loincloth, underwear, boots and what you see on the arms are strips of cloth attached to her wristbands to give her a more "goddessy" look.

Ashrah3.jpg

Next, I gotta model the hat strap, the hair, some emblems for the clothing and decorate the boots before I add the wrinkles to all the cloth.

It would be nice to get some feedback from anyone, I'm doing this mainly for all the hardcore MK Fans. Thanks.

Last edited:
It looks good at the moment. I just hope you aren't trying to make her more revealing than she is in the original games. Also, don't forget to send me the overall story of the game.

It looks good at the moment. I just hope you aren't trying to make her more revealing than she is in the original games. Also, don't forget to send me the overall story of the game.

Actually, we are trying to make her more revealed than she has been. You'll see why when I send you the storyline of the game and the roles of the characters. ;)

Alright. Also, do you want me to do the biography for a character after you make their model or just make them all at the same time.

Alright. Also, do you want me to do the biography for a character after you make their model or just make them all at the same time.

You can make them as soon as I give you the information about each character. I would prefer if you could work on them while I build the models, so that way I can put together the renders and biographies. What I can also do is send you the concept art we have for each character... we have our own concept artist on the team who designed them! :)

Will she have an alternate costume without her hat and new moves?

Actually no. We cannot do alternate costumes in MUGEN. However, Ashrah will have new moves.

As a hint, this game is all about making the characters more powerful than before. Not too powerful to where it's completely different, just the special moves have stronger impacts on their opponents. Some will have new moves, but every character has their classic moves more than new moves.

Gameplay video? You should reduce the amount of characters, it's quality over quantity, it's going to take you forever to complete the game.

Good luck tho

Gameplay video? You should reduce the amount of characters, it's quality over quantity, it's going to take you forever to complete the game.

Good luck tho

Really? We've actually been told it's a good amount of characters to put in. Most MUGEN games put in the whole Mortal Kombat Saga in one. We actually have a storyline for this game, and each character has a purpose, unlike most MUGEN games. =)

It'd be much easier to balance the characters and find the bugs if there aren't too many, I'm not sure if you want people to take your game seriously or will it be something broken they play for the lulz only. I like the fact that you're creating your own character models instead of just ripping the sprites from the older games, but animating them properly will be extremely difficult, look at Bleed and the MK HD project, it's taking them a lot of time just to animate one single character, If I were you, I'd start with 2 characters, invest all my time into them, put together a gameplay video to keep people interested and show them that you're serious, because words only aren't convincing enough. I'd rather play a quality game with 7 characters (MK1) than a crappy game with 40+ characters (MKA). Just my 2 cents

@JustMKollum: Sure thing. I can wait to see them.

@C-Sword: Yeah it might be true, but it actually depends on the team and how they perform. Another difference might be that Bleed and his team are working on making their MKHD Remix exactly the same as the original Mortal Kombat (which actually might be more difficult) so it could go either way. I believe we can do it, but if it does become difficult in the long run then @JustMKollum what about a MK: RE:Vengeance? Lol.

It'd be much easier to balance the characters and find the bugs if there aren't too many, I'm not sure if you want people to take your game seriously or will it be something broken they play for the lulz only. I like the fact that you're creating your own character models instead of just ripping the sprites from the older games, but animating them properly will be extremely difficult, look at Bleed and the MK HD project, it's taking them a lot of time just to animate one single character, If I were you, I'd start with 2 characters, invest all my time into them, put together a gameplay video to keep people interested and show them that you're serious, because words only aren't convincing enough. I'd rather play a quality game with 7 characters (MK1) than a crappy game with 40+ characters (MKA). Just my 2 cents

Thank you for the tips! I think it's a brilliant idea to have two characters to start out with and make a gameplay video! Absolutely brilliant! However, I honestly don't know what we'd do and who to take out if we reduce the amount of characters in the roster though. Just about all the characters correspond with one another in the storyline. It's 35 characters (34 returning characters and 1 new character) which shouldn't be too bad, but you may be right that it will take a long time to produce.

I definitely do want people to take this game really seriously, not just for the laughs.

Status
Not open for further replies.