The Phantom Pain... possibilities and interpretations

D3THF15T

I have just watched the 10th annual Spike VGAs not for interest in what awards were to given out (as the opinions of spike mean little to me) but for the exclusive trailers teased. During the pre-show Geoff of GTTV stated a cryptic puzzle for the fans would be shown in the early part of the show...

[video]http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/rxg39y/video-game-awards-2012-vga-2012--part-1----the-phantom-pain[/video]

Appearances can be deceiving at first glance most will perceive this to be an impressive new IP from an unknown developer (without a cited publisher and given the quality of the game red flags should pop up like a ! above your head) this studio has a website with information about themselves check it out.

http://www.mobydickstudio.se/en/about-us/

Aside from being vague and mysterious there is a major hint in the name Joakim Mogren, an anagram for Kojima with the much teased project OGRE in the middle of the last name. Smooth but transparent as glass.

Obvious references and details through out the trailer reinforce the fact it IS a Metal Gear game include (but not limited to)

1.)The very 1st look at the prosthetic arm shows white flower petals in a sterile medical facility with no explaination (see MGS3 ending)

2.) The mullet and convenient albeit homage-esc bandages covering the right eye and wrapping around like a bandanna.

3.) the aforementioned future of gaming statement and emphasis on 100% gameplay when considering the graphical fidelity and detail quality of the animations shown closely resembling the MGS:GZ trailer.

4.)The lens flair at the window is identical to the lens flairs in the MGS:GZ trailer as well as the character lighting when it shines on them.

5.) the execution of the man in front of the characters while under the bed is just like the scene in MGS4 (a militia man is attempting to surrender and is gunned down anyways while snake is crawling under debris and is helpless to interact)

6.)The man standing in the hallway a midst the flames is wearing a volgin-esc sneaking suit (or a CQC enhancer type suit look at the legs)

7.)Its totally Big Boss at the end. .

8.)The title given is The Phantom Pain with slight distortions at the tops of a few of the letter this again might seem like just another artistic choice but when everybody on the internet started to obsess over it this image was made...

original.jpg

So I leave it to you to judge what to make of this feel free to speculate, debate, and masturbate.

also thanks to kotaku we have this little tidbit

9.) http://kotaku.com/5966803/is-the-ph...-game-this-guy-might-know-but-hes-not-talking

I watched it and that guy looked dead-on like Snake to me lol.

Also found this:

jQV8v.jpg

Also:

7cQR2.jpg

If thats not Snake, it looks awful lot like him lmao.

dh7PH.jpg

Look at the middle. Remind you all of someone? ;)

Found something else interesting...

From Michael McWherton:

Joakim Mogren. Mogren is a football club in Montenegro. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance opens in Montenegro.

Last edited:
Nice find!

I saw those other pics already but not the montenegro bit. I think Kojima is doing this so that he can sort of distance himself from the trailer due to its content being way out of left field and would obviously generate tons of fans clamoring for answers. This approach give him some breathing room and something fun for the fans to speculate on (Prosthetic arm bit is pretty wild but explainable) if he just announced it as the 2nd trailer and showed a section of gameplay with a narrative it would of been too cliche and standard.

Man... I would've MUCH preferred, that I DIDN'T think this would be Metal Gear.

Kajima is so good at manipulating us that, it's highly likely it is a MGS5.

which is sad, how epic would it have been if you 100% thought you were playing an original game.

Then all of a sudden BOOM

You realize you're playing Metal gear like 2hours in lol

I'd shit my pants.

I watched the trailer last night and as soon as I saw the beard and eye patch I was like, "Wow Big Boss much?"

Then I come to this thread
tumblr_mefwvc7tjn1rxx2de.gif

and that crazy whale eating the helicopter shit.

can be easily explained as people like Psychomantis, or some kind of brain hack or something.

I was just about to ask that!
A whale coming out the fvcking blue eating helicopter threw me off big time

Also someone pointed this out on another site but the Dr. is Kio Marv from MG2:SS

bwMmT.jpg

Dr. Kio Marv is the guy who rebuilt Big Boss after snake nearly killed him in outer heaven which has led some to speculate that this is MGS5 and is taking place sometime after operation intrude N313. I doubt it but you never know (personally I think its another bait and switch move and there is nothing wrong with him).

Last edited:
Im assuming Phantom Pain has to relate to Phantom Limb syndrome....

So if its in the title I better have some badass use for that gimp arm

I doubt that is the real title (or subtitle) but I bet this segment has some interesting CQC moves, can't wait to interrogate enemies with a hook.:proud:

If Big Boss is missing his arm at this point he won't keep the hook after he gets out of there and regroups with his men at the base, seeing as how zadornov had a robotic arm in peace walker the technology exists and with MSF/Outer heaven's funds a replacement limb should be no problem.

NEWS UPDATE!

Moby Dick Studios has updated their website in regards to the image gallery and added a crisp 1080p version of the trailer.

Here are the NEW images featured among screenshots of the trailer these show a new section of the hospital and close up of our protagonist *cough BIG BOSS *cough...

vga_16.jpg

vga_17.jpg

vga_11.jpg

8.)The title given is The Phantom Pain with slight distortions at the tops of a few of the letter this again might seem like just another artistic choice but when everybody on the internet started to obsess over it this image was made...

View attachment 4583

That image was made when the gamma was raised and revealed the lettering.

Hooded figure at the 0:48 mark, is possibly The Sorrow.
The guy at the 2:24 mark HIGHLY resembles Volgin.
The figure at the 2:56 mark looks exactly like Psycho Mantis when he's floating, and the whole thing could have been 1 BIG hallucination.

I remember in MGS 1, that Psycho Mantis used mind control to try to get the DARPA Chief (Donald Anderson) to talk.

The figure at the end of the hall is a child compare the hight to the door frame and and rail next to it also there isn't a hood appears to me to be short blonde hair (with possibly a ribbon/bow but might just be odd lighting) the angle of the feet indicate that it is facing towards the camera. Its easier to see these details in the second trailer I posted from the "CEO" of Moby Dick in full HD its still sort of pixelated but clearer overall. I agree that is volgin after watching the higher resolution as well the textures on his skin (forearms) look scarred fitting volgin's only thing thats weird is the mask but considering that showing his face would be too obvious I understand why its there. The floating figure at the end has longer sleeves than arms which considering that the 1st figure in the hallway is a small child (however hard to see the sleeves length due to poor lighting and dark clothing) if it is pycho mantis then at this point in the timeline he would have to be a young child but I'm not convinced its him either way. Also somebody speculated in the comments of an article I was reading they thought it was Paz which is bogus due to the fact she was taller in peace walker and since chico has grown some in the MGS:GZ trailer she wouldn't be shorter now especially since this shows big boss with a grey-er beard now (MGS:GZ promo pics corrected the misconception in the trailer about his hair color) thats just my thoughts tho feel free to speculate further.

EDIT: MIND FUUU!

Carefully stop the HD version of that video on the figure in front of the elevator I SEE A GAS MASK! the bow/ribbon thing was actually the straps on it now im on-board with it being young mantis 100% its another throw back scene as well because his 1st appearance was in front of the b1 elevator door after Meryl goes nuts trying to kill snake.

Last edited:
especially since this shows big boss with a grey-er beard now (MGS:GZ promo pics corrected the misconception in the trailer about his hair color) thats just my thoughts tho feel free to speculate further.

EDIT: MIND FUUU!

Carefully stop the HD version of that video on the figure in front of the elevator I SEE A GAS MASK! the bow/ribbon thing was actually the straps on it now im on-board with it being young mantis 100% its another throw back scene as well because his 1st appearance was in front of the b1 elevator door after Meryl goes nuts trying to kill snake.

This is why I think it's Mantis, especially with Big Boss having a grey-er beard now.
It eludes to the Metal Gear 1 & 2 games era.

The person in the elevator looked like Mantis.
The person floating is also seen floating in a similar fashion to the way that Psycho Mantis was floating in the MGS1 / Twin Snakes (13:38 mark of the VGA trailer), when Snake first met Meryl.

2:45 mark

Plus, he's wearing a trench coat again like he was in MGS 1

For a better comparison, here are a few still shots that I got from MGS 1 and the VGA video, to compare:

VGA VIDEO:

Mantis1.jpg

MGS 1:

Mantis2.jpg

The floating bit didn't confirm or scream mantis to me honestly I was annoyed that yet again everyone wanted to jump to known characters to explain things (like the people who claimed the burned man in the GZ trailer was volgin...) I seriously thought it was a girl with a bow in her hair until I rewatched the HD version a few times. However I'm conflicted on this revelation Pycho Mantis was technically in MGS4 where he did his bit about controllers and memory cards ect. I just don't know how this will work out having him in this even as a child he will be a bit too redundant of an homage character to reintegrate into the franchise retroactively. I'll have a hard time feeling nostalgic is more or less what I'm trying to say.. sort of how I felt when ocelot was in 3, at first I was thinking sweet BACKSTORY! then I ended up disliking his whole character (starting with the meow thing) in that game.

P.S. that game cube shit is lame. fun fact the studio responsible for that retarded port have recently closed do to horrible sales and lawsuits regarding the unreal engine.