The Phantom Pain... possibilities and interpretations

P.S. that game cube shit is lame. fun fact the studio responsible for that retarded port have recently closed do to horrible sales and lawsuits regarding the unreal engine.

Aside from people saying that the boss fights felt "Easy," which they did, I don't get all the hater-aide towards TTS.
Easy boss fights was about my only complaint.
You could say some of the cut-scenes were exaggerated, but since when does a Metal Gear Solid game not have exaggerated cut-scenes.
Ocelot shooting boats and people with his finger in MGS4??? REALLY???

It seems like the hater-aide from TTS comes more from being hurt about them remaking MGS1, more than anything else.

The matrix-esc bullet time moments, solid snake somersaults of a missile mid air, they changed Gray fox's voice actor, the cut scene between Liquid and Snake atop MG Rex wasn't to my liking either. Those are my reasons for disliking it another thing is they changed Mei Ling's accent for some reason not a big deal but it sounded weird. I didn't mind the concept of a remake I did however mind how they did it and the fact it was retconned into the canon (I.e. flashbacks in MGS4 used new gray fox voice and the comics used the added fight before the ocelot boss battle) its true the series has some outlandish moments but TTS moments were in bad taste. I almost got a game cube for that game when I heard about it thanks to having to wait and save up for it and already knowing what happened I had time to watch videos of it and realized I was fine without it.

MGS 1 will always be way better than TTS for me, but TTS wasn't a shit game either.
I never regretted getting it on GC.

Back in those days games and especially game consoles were something I had to save up for (not like the entitled generation I see now days) so I mostly stuck close to sony because of MGS and FF games being exclusives back then. I played the gamecube demo at the store and wasn't impressed with its controller layout (same way when it came to N64) so I never got one only time I took a chance was getting a dreamcast what a great investment that was.

On topic, I was skimming through the image gallery looking mostly at the new shots earlier now I'v just noticed that the bandage faced guy=burned face guy from GZ is totally bogus (not that I thought it was valid anyways) also there is talk that that was recycled dialoge from CoD: World at War Idk since I only played it a few times like 3 years ago with a friend.

vga_01.jpg

Ocelot shooting boats and people with his finger in MGS4??? REALLY???

Please tell me you knew he wasn't actually shooting people with his fingers right?

He had control of the nano-machines, and had his "men" shoot where he shot with his fingers. He didn't actually SHOOT people with his fingers. It's just an illusion created by him which is obviously explained as the cutscene zoomed out.

Please tell me you knew he wasn't actually shooting people with his fingers right?

He had control of the nano-machines, and had his "men" shoot where he shot with his fingers. He didn't actually SHOOT people with his fingers. It's just an illusion created by him which is obviously explained as the cutscene zoomed out.

OBVIOUSLY he wasn't ACTUALLY shooting at people with his finger, but my point was that in the world of Metal Gear Solid, to say that The Twin Snakes was bad due to "exaggerated cut-scenes" (like people have said on various MGS forums), is like saying that Mortal Kombat was bad because it had fighting in it.
Metal Gear Solid has been KNOWN to have exaggerated cut-scenes, and is pretty much an expected given when a new Metal Gear Solid game comes out, unless you've lived under a rock.

Snake kicking a missile in TTS in no more exaggerated than throwing a grenade PERFECTLY into a tank mortar barrel from 50 yards, to blow up a tank gun, and have the soldier flying through the air, off of the tank gun seat, to steal the key card in the original MGS1.

The boss battles being a bit easier, fine, I get that, and to be honest the ONLY battle that was a little bit easier due to the MGS 2 control set-up in TTS, was the Ocelot battle.
All the other battles were pretty much the same.

Last edited:
OBVIOUSLY he wasn't ACTUALLY shooting at people with his finger, but my point was that in the world of Metal Gear Solid, to say that The Twin Snakes was bad due to "exaggerated cut-scenes" (like people have said on various MGS forums), is like saying that Mortal Kombat was bad because it had fighting in it.
Metal Gear Solid has been KNOWN to have exaggerated cut-scenes, and is pretty much an expected given when a new Metal Gear Solid game comes out, unless you've lived under a rock.

Snake kicking a missile in TTS in no more exaggerated than throwing a grenade PERFECTLY into a tank mortar barrel from 50 yards, to blow up a tank gun, and have the soldier flying through the air, off of the tank gun seat, to steal the key card in the original MGS1.

The boss battles being a bit easier, fine, I get that, and to be honest the ONLY battle that was a little bit easier due to the MGS 2 control set-up in TTS, was the Ocelot battle.
All the other battles were pretty much the same.

lol I didn't need all that,

I just wanted to make sure you knew he wasn't actually shooting people with his fingers. I just saw it as a way for him to show off his power he had over gun control.

I think a better case for you was when Raiden stopped a god damn ship from hitting shore with his bare hands.

I think a better case for you was when Raiden stopped a god damn ship from hitting shore with his bare hands.

^That.

When they implemented trophy support and I dusted off MGS4 that scene really stood out to me (why had I never realized the impossibility before!) when a ship is already destroying the pier, how in the hell is someone standing on it supposed to actually stop it from moving even if he was an indestructible object in the path of an unstoppable force the pier would still just keep crumbling at the same rate only with Raiden as the new hood ornament...

I digress the point about the grenade is a bit off you don't have to land a "hole in one" shot you just have to land them on the roof and the blast knocks them off otherwise a more pragmatic situation appears, in that vulcan raven is sitting inside of a clown car (tank) full of dudes who are crammed tightly together while grenades keep raining in on them yet exit one at a time awaiting a second grenade to finish them.

I bet if I had been trained as much as snake was then I'd wager I could throw a grenade into a hole like I was bullseyeing whamp rats in my T16 back home. When was the last time you saw an actual human kick a missile?

Bu... bu... Raiden is lightning, the rain transformed; he can do anything :(

Check this out too guys; saw it on a website:

92659779.png

Looks like motorbike handles; and the only person I know of that used motorbikes (or at least was known for it) was Eva.

I used the Metal Gear Solid 1 example though, because for as much as people like to b***** on the Metal Gear forums that TTS sucks for it's exaggerated cut-scenes, Metal Gear Solid 1 had JUST as many exaggerated scenes and things in it.
Silicon Knights just gave those cut-scenes a modern-day facelift, but exaggerated cut-scenes isn't something unusual in the MGS universe, so I never understood why people hated on it based on that reason.

Bu... bu... Raiden is lightning, the rain transformed; he can do anything :(

Raiden is an abomination that I do not care for.
He's essentially the anti-Snake, and I 'd be completely fine with him not ever showing up in another Metal Gear SOLID game.

As for the handlebar stuff, that's pretty cool, but it doesn't look like a motorcycle to me.
I didn't notice that before.
It looks more like Big Boss in the CQC stance, holding the CQC knife.
There's a LOT of symbolism in that 3 minute trailer.

I'm mainly wondering whether it all ties into Metal Gear Solid 5 or Ground Zeroes.

I kinda wanna play TTS now just to see what all this commotion is about lol.

I like Raiden; I think most of the reason why people hate him is b/c of MGS2 w/ him replacing Snake and all, but I think he's a pretty cool character.

I can't see how that's the CQC knife though lol, no offense of course. The positioning of the flames around his/her hand plus the horse itself makes me more inclined to believe the horse represents the motorbike; but like what you said, there a bunch of symbolism in this trailer so who knows lol.

I think it ties into MGS5 rather than Ground Zeroes, b/c I couldn't imagine them going through all of this just to promote Ground Zeroes again; I'd expect them to just flat out say that that trailer was for Ground Zeroes rather then masking it as Phantom Pain. Plus them releasing GZ and MGS5 so close to each other (though I don't think PP had a release date) seems kinda weird to me. The only way I could see that happening is if MGS5 takes place immediately after GZ. Then again its Kojima, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see to be sure.

I'm not buying the motorcycle theory honestly thats reading too much into it his hands are in that position holding the rains of the flaming pegasus\unicorn its the same (volgin) guy from the other shots. The symbolism cluster F* of the boss' horse being rode my ghost volgin being tied to eva' motorcycle... its just too much. CQC stance wouldn't work either to me, he is flying through a window on a flaming pegasus\unicorn to attack an amputee who woke up from a coma big boss is a master of CQC but at this point I doubt proper stance is required to fight him plus volgin didn't know those techniques (asked the boss if it was some sort of judo when she broke his arm) but who knows, mantis could be mashing up big boss' memories for the hell of it.

I'm not buying the motorcycle theory honestly thats reading too much into it his hands are in that position holding the rains of the flaming pegasus\unicorn its the same (volgin) guy from the other shots. The symbolism cluster F* of the boss' horse being rode my ghost volgin being tied to eva' motorcycle... its just too much. CQC stance wouldn't work either to me, he is flying through a window on a flaming pegasus\unicorn to attack an amputee who woke up from a coma big boss is a master of CQC but at this point I doubt proper stance is required to fight him plus volgin didn't know those techniques (asked the boss if it was some sort of judo when she broke his arm) but who knows, mantis could be mashing up big boss' memories for the hell of it.

The whole amputee thing may also be a complete hallucination or thought in Psycho Mantis' mind for all we know.
How many of us thought the whole game of MGS 2 was going to be playing as Solid Snake, when all the trailers just showed the tanker???
I sure know I did.

True, I thought that at first the arm and the crazy stuff was just added in for shock value to throw off the MGS scent. However now I'm excited to see the story/gameplay implications it can bring.