Ask me anything thread.

Sub-Zero is the weakest of my 4 characters, but I want to get a lot better with him.
I try to bait sometimes with air ice clones, or wait for the opponent to act first (since Sub-Zero is more of a defensive character), and go in with the 1,2,1, D+F3 (freeze) combo or B+2, 1, 3 type of starter combo.
I usually don't try to throw out iceballs, unless I'm using it in the combo, to link it, ESPECIALLY against human players.
Sub-Zero and Shang Tsung combos lag the MOST for me online.

Sub-Zero is the weakest of my 4 characters, but I want to get a lot better with him.
I try to bait sometimes with air ice clones, or wait for the opponent to act first (since Sub-Zero is more of a defensive character), and go in with the 1,2,1, D+F3 (freeze) combo or B+2, 1, 3 type of starter combo.
I usually don't try to throw out iceballs, unless I'm using it in the combo, to link it, ESPECIALLY against human players.
Sub-Zero and Shang Tsung combos lag the MOST for me online.

ok well I'm just gonna sum up what I know about sub-zero in general then.

1.) Projectile Battles

When you're battling someone who's projectile isn't rocket fast like Skarlet/Kabal/(Kitana too if she does them almost perfectly)

you can make trade attempts. And you win all trade attempts. Even trades with skarlet/kabal/kitana if you can land them. If kabal messes up a singular gas mask blast and does it slightly too high. you can sneak in a ice-ball. And that disrupts his zoning, and could possibly freeze him.

Trade attempts you don't win, are acid balls, Cyrax's nets. Anything that keeps you in hit stun too long. You can still make the trade in your favor if you're willing to put the cards on the table and do a EX freeze. Which will freeze them longer than how long you're in stun. And you can get to them in time.

yes Subzero is a defensive character, but you must study his offense to overcome people like Noob Saibot/smoke/Freedy/Kenshi who don't have to approach you.

You can do 2,1 (leave out the last 2). They will be waiting for the last hit. This will give you the chance to 2,1,2 again. or just do another 2,1. Or you can do 2,1 then D4. if he's blocking high for massive advantage and another round of pressure. or 2,1 then grab.

anytime you freeze them grounded you have a few options.

JiP, B1,2,1 Is my favorite. You get massive advantage at the end and you only lose a small % of combo damage. But you build most of that back from chip pressure.

When you have that massive advantage. after B1,2,1. You can got for 3 things.

2,2 freeze will beat out any attack attempts and or jumps. If they jump, and you freeze them mid air. Back dash and make sure you whiff B1, then do 2. then 2,1,2 slide.

If they stand trying to do a normal and you stuff them with 2,2 freeze. They are frozen on the ground again. You can go for JiP B1,2,1 again. or you can charge a B2.

While your charging a B2 while they are frozen this is how it works.

If you fully charge it and let it go. you get another big 30% combo off of it. if they block after being unfrozen.

If they don't block after being unfrozen. They get hit by the B2 still, but you don't get a combo. They go flying w/o being frozen.

So what you want to do if they stop blocking after breaking out of freeze while you're charging your B2. You dash cancel out of B2, and do 2,1,2 freeze, Dash in. B1(whiff), 2, wait a split second. Then 2,2 slide. Since they aren't blocking to avoid the reset B2 combo. you get a combo if you dash cancel into 2,1,2.

one of the safest things you can do is D4 into iceclone. Then sometimes. D4(if you hit them) 2,2,4 Clone.

Don't forget his overhead. F4.

F4 connects into freeze, for a full combo.

You can also do F4, into slide. to make a overhead-Low attack.

F4 into freeze is risky, as if they block high. You are eating a combo. So it's a move you want to use after you condition them to block low alot from your D4 gameplay.

cancel all block strings that you plan on finishing with clone.

I am serious, buttnugget.

I play this game like once a month, and I usually encounter a Kung Lao, but I get bodied by all his teleportations.

I know this is Critical's thread but any Lao that abuses teleports can be blown up ( uppercuts on reaction work the best unless its a EX armor teleport but that costs him meter) if you can get Lao to respect the upercuts it will shut down a lot of his mobility.

I know this is Critical's thread but any Lao that abuses teleports can be blown up ( uppercuts on reaction work the best unless its a EX armor teleport but that costs him meter) if you can get Lao to respect the upercuts it will shut down a lot of his mobility.

Alright, because I really am clueless on it. His rush down game can catch me off guard too.

My other weakness is Raiden. His teleport confuses me as well, but I don't fall for the teleport grab hookus pookus.

Alright, because I really am clueless on it. His rush down game can catch me off guard too.

My other weakness is Raiden. His teleport confuses me as well, but I don't fall for the teleport grab hookus pookus.

you know what a even better punishment is?

You can just walk forward, (which by the time he teleports, he's behind you) You walk out of his kick range. When he whiffs. you whiff punish, with an anti air. Whatever combo you would use to combo mileena after a tele-kick.

If he does EX tele, Just walk backwards. And you'll walk out of his range. And he wasted a bar of meter for nothing.

Hoo hoo, lol will NJP catch him?

I got some nice moves after a NJP.

no not enough time. Like just as you get out of foot range. He's gonna hit the ground.

you could probably do standing 2, cancel into gunshot into something.

Or perhaps your baton launcher can get him. Since it's an anti air combo you won't get huge damage. But it's heavier than a uppercut if you can do it.

Dammit, well, I'll try the 2 and the cancel.

I know the baton launcher had to work for a fact, since it'll catch him before he hits the ground.

I could cancel into gunshot, hit em', and then baton launch maybe after a 2,1.