Story Ideas for Mortal Kombat Movie 2013

How would you make good storylines for MK 2013?

Tournament Movie:
Fighters:
MK1
- Liu Kang, Kano, Johnny Cage, Sonya, Sub-Zero (Bi-Han), Scorpion, Raiden
MK2
- Kung Lao, Reptile, Kitana, Jade
MK3
- Cyrax & Sektor (human) & Nightwolf
MK4
- Fujin
Bosses
- Goro, Shang Tsung

Invasion Movie:
Fighters
MK2
- Sub-Zero (Kuai Liang), Mileena, Baraka, Skarlet, Smoke & Noob Saibot
MK3
- Sindel, Sheeva, Stryker, Kabal, Cyrax & Sektor (Robots), Rain & Ermac
MK4 (for cameo appearances)
- Shinnok, Quan Chi, Tanya & Reiko
MKDA
- Kenshi
Bosses
- Kintaro, Motaro & Shao Kahn

Last edited:
So are you just suppose to post the characters that would make the cut in the movie...?

or are we suppose to actually talk about how the story should go?

I say just stick to the real story line >.>;

question is should it be based off MK9's direction?

Or start from MK1 all over again? before raiden sends back a message to himself?

What I'm trying to say is that....

The story should mix with both the original and alternate stories. No future Raiden passing images to his past self. Of course for the first movie, some MK2 & MK3 characters should appear in the tournament saga. Later on to the invasion saga where Shinnok & Quan Chi show themselves in the end plus Reiko & Tanya make an appearance with them.

For the characters... I say make the cut so that the audience wouldn't see some go to waste.

Well as far as the story goes I basically see the traditional story for the most part with the element of playing up the aspect of the tournament being genocidal. Explore how ever since Shang Tsung has taken over the tournament, it's become all about kill or be killed. And realistically show some of the characters' downfall into the more savage nature of the tournament and how they feel about potentially murdering someone for the first time in the case of Liu Kang and Johnny Cage for instance and how they are also gaining magical powers along with that. In a way this COULD reflect them becoming less and less humane in a literal and metaphorical sense due to newfound powers and potentially newfound murderous intent.

It also wouldnt hurt to touch on the fact that Shang could be gaining power from these souls that he is likely collecting as they die.

I'd also possibly incorporate a backstory of Shang Tsung possibly commiting foul play while the Great Kung Lao was fighting Goro years ago.(An idea that I got from a friend of mine).

In the movies, they should have after credit scenes like in the marvel movies...
First Movie:
- After the credits: Shang Tsung's bones were still around. Quan Chi mysteriously appears before them, picks them up and says that the sorcerer's job isn't done. Then Noob Saibot also appears wearing the old Sub-Zero costume... but with his eyes in close-up.

Second Movie:
- After the credits: Shao Kahn's helmet was still left on the ground. Quan Chi picks it up, with Reiko & Tanya beside him. Shinnok then appears in a hologram revealing his plans in attacking both Earthrealm & Outworld and that the time will come for them to. Reiko finally becomes emperor and Tanya continues to serve Shinnok and spies on both Edenia & Outworld.

Last edited:
Not to mention, I really think that to add more tension, some fighters on the "same side" should be pitted against each other. Seriously, I dont see why this hasnt done considering that

A) Even in the arcade modes you fight opponents regardless of what side they are on.

and

B) Shang Tsung calls the shots on who fights who and its out of the fighters' hands

Imagine having one of the characters come to grips to having the life of one of their allies in their hands or Shang punishing one of his own out of fear of dissension by putting them against Goro or Baraka.

I would see the first movie go like this...
- The first scene shows the Great Kung Lao's fight against many competitors then later against Goro who appears as a shadowy figure.
- Later it shows some of the characters entries to the tournament. Ex: Liu Kang & Kung Lao were both chosen to be representatives for the shaolin due to a fight gone in a draw.
- They enter the tournament Liu & Kung Lao made friends with Johnny & Sonya. Sonya seeks to rescue Jax & her team captured by Shang Tsung & hunt down Kano.
- Cyrax, Sektor & Sub-Zero (Bi-Han) were hired by the sorcerer to protect him until Raiden & Fujin saved the Earthrealm team.
- Later on fights ensued in the tournament. Liu fights Kitana and falls in love, despite her fighting for Outworld. Nimbus Terrafaux fights against Goro but fails when his soul is taken by Shang. Sonya defeats Kano, until Shang Tsung orders his soldiers to take Kano to Outworld's prisons.
- Liu fights Goro copying Johnny with his glasses and copies "Let's dance" on Goro. The fight goes well especially with copying Cage's nut punch.
- Sonya gets kidnapped and taken to Outworld. She gets rescued later by the gang and Liu fights Shang Tsung alone.
- After the credits: Shang Tsung's bones were still around. Quan Chi mysteriously appears before them, picks them up and says "Your life is not done... yet. I have another plan for you and the emperor. Right my servant." Noob Saibot also appears wearing the old Sub-Zero costume... but with his eyes in close-up.

Interesting plot threads....I dont agree with killing Shang but interesting nonetheless.

I have no idea. Help me out please!

LOL, These two things...
Well as far as the story goes I basically see the traditional story for the most part with the element of playing up the aspect of the tournament being genocidal. Explore how ever since Shang Tsung has taken over the tournament, it's become all about kill or be killed. And realistically show some of the characters' downfall into the more savage nature of the tournament and how they feel about potentially murdering someone for the first time in the case of Liu Kang and Johnny Cage for instance and how they are also gaining magical powers along with that. In a way this COULD reflect them becoming less and less humane in a literal and metaphorical sense due to newfound powers and potentially newfound murderous intent.

It also wouldnt hurt to touch on the fact that Shang could be gaining power from these souls that he is likely collecting as they die.

I'd also possibly incorporate a backstory of Shang Tsung possibly commiting foul play while the Great Kung Lao was fighting Goro years ago.(An idea that I got from a friend of mine).

and
Not to mention, I really think that to add more tension, some fighters on the "same side" should be pitted against each other. Seriously, I dont see why this hasnt done considering that

A) Even in the arcade modes you fight opponents regardless of what side they are on.

and

B) Shang Tsung calls the shots on who fights who and its out of the fighters' hands

Imagine having one of the characters come to grips to having the life of one of their allies in their hands or Shang punishing one of his own out of fear of dissension by putting them against Goro or Baraka.

Idea 1:

This upcoming movie be about the whole MK9 storyline but without Raiden's visions of Armageddon and with several twists like some characters who died in the game won't die in this movie. The ending should be similar to MK9's ending but the ending will have a cameo of characters like Sareena, Tanya, Reiko, and maybe even Noob Saibot (shows up with Shinnok after being slain by Scorpion) and have their little conference about their evil schemes for the next movie.

Characters:
Everyone from MK9 except guest characters and Cyber Sub-Zero unless they want to make him again.
Tanya (Ending)
Sareena (Ending)
Reiko (Ending)
Shinnok (Ending)

Idea 2:

The first movie can be about the tournament of MK1 with these characters. At the ending of this movie, Shang Tsung gets defeated by Liu Kang but brutally killed by Shao Kahn for failing his task.

Characters:
Liu Kang
Johnny Cage
Sonya
Kitana
Baraka
Mileena
Jax
Kabal
Quan Chi
Scorpion
Older Sub-Zero (Gets killed by Scorpion)
Kung Lao
Kano
Ermac
Kenshi
Shang Tsung (Main Villain)
Goro
Reptile
Stryker
Raiden
Sektor (Human. Turns into a cyborg in the middle of the movie.)
Cyrax (Human. Turns into a cyborg in the middle of the movie.)
Shao Kahn (Ending)

In the second movie, it's mostly about what's going on in MK2-MK3. Ending will be very similar to MK9's ending with Shinnok and Quan Chi but this time doing it in a for of a conference involving Reiko, Tanya, and their other evil minions/ninjas/tarkatans/etc.

Characters:

Shao Kahn (Main Villain)
Nightwolf
Sindel
Sheeva
Kintaro
Young Sub-Zero
Noob Saibot
Smoke
Rain
Jade
Skarlet
Shinnok (Ending)
Tanya (Cameo and Ending)
Reiko (Cameo and Ending)
And who ever survived the first movie.

Plus... who'd be the correct director to direct this movie?

Some directors Id be interested in seeing direct MK:

Zhang Yimou

Del Toro(provided he doesn't make the bad guys all sympathetic)

Len Wiseman (He's good with portraying fantasy worlds on small budgets)

Zack Snyder (If he lightens up on the stylization a bit and no 10 minute slo-mo scenes)