the online MK9 community

I was kind of reading through this thread... Although online is a bit shit, I was playing against RikoLaw and the lag was minimal. I guess it just depends.

( warning salty post incoming ) I tried playing some matches today and the lag was just unbearable. I love this game but its online is a joke and nothing frustrates me more than losing because my inputs lag causing my character to get killed. It's sad how many terrible players can spam the same crap and still win because of gamespy's ass for servers but nothing pisses me off more than losing to a good player that has a better/bad conection. This crap creates broken mechanics because you are unable to punish attacks that would normally get any player blown up in a offline match. I understand its online but sometimes it really gets to me how NRS let this garbage slip through.

( warning salty post incoming ) I tried playing some matches today and the lag was just unbearable. I love this game but its online is a joke and nothing frustrates me more than losing because my inputs lag causing my character to get killed. It's sad how many terrible players can spam the same crap and still win because of gamespy's ass for servers but nothing pisses me off more than losing to a good player that has a better/bad conection. This crap creates broken mechanics because you are unable to punish attacks that would normally get any player blown up in a offline match. I understand its online but sometimes it really gets to me how NRS let this garbage slip through.

Trust me I know that feel bro.

that's why in a offline match when I forget, but it was a kitana player, and he did a NJP and countered a cross up jump. Now that may seem like a normal thing to online people. But offline that's unheard of lol.

Because NJP is a read. You don't need to commit to that punishable option, if you can just standing 1,2,uppercut,D1 on reaction.

So when this kitana did this the commentators were like "lol at that online read"

The input lag makes anti-airs online, the good ones that you are suppose to be able to do on reaction. Become near predictions. I can naturally counter a jump-in w/o thinking about it.

online I have to stare at their feet while thinking about no other possibilities, to land my anti-airs out of block.

The game doesn't lag in the sense that the frames skip around like a image slideshow.

The game lags because the buttons come out almost like half a second later than when you wanted it to come out. make you forced to do everything earlier.
hitconfirm/jump confirm. everything becomes so much harder to do 80% of it becomes predictions and reads.

Good I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who feels this way. The game is nothing more than a guessing game online. You can not go by what the characters on the screen are doing (Especially when you are fighting a pro player )it makes 80% of my reads impossible and even if I guess right by some miracle I won't be able to follow up and combo because of input errors caused by lag. It makes going against good Cage and Cyrax players even more unbearable because if I fail to make a good read less than 3 times it's "GGS man".

Well here's some more salt for ya I finally get a decent match that has minimal lag. I win one match the other player beats me another match making everything a tie we begin the 3rd match and BOOM my screen freezes locking up my ps3 forcing me to hard reset my console. Thanks gamespy

I haven't played mk9 in a while but I decided to give it another go for the hell of it because I love this game. I just chilling in the chat rooms and I get challenged by a player called Emperor scar and it dawns on me I'm fighting another top tournament player who mains Scarlet. Long story short he bodies me over and over again but I feel like he's winning because he is able to move faster than my character the match isn't laggy but I'm moving slower(anyone else have this problem?) it's so frustrating to see every move or mixup you go for get punished on some god like reaction by the other guy. I'm not trying to say Scar is not a better player than me (because I'm sure he beat me offline too) but I can't help but wonder how he's able to read me so well (is my Mileena that predictable and I suck this much at this game?). BTW he was using kabal most of the time I know this match up but for some reason I couldn't punish any of his attacks but he had no problem punishing mine. he messaged me in the chat rooms claiming I jump to much but I didn't jump hardly at all unless I tried going for a cross up. I may have to upgrade my internet speed or something but I feel I can't play any better with the current state of mk9's online... well I beat this dead horse to death enough if anyone has any suggestions I'm more than willing to listen.

Last edited:
I haven't played mk9 in a while but I decided to give it another go for the hell of it because I love this game. I just chilling in the chat rooms and I get challenged by a player called Emperor scar and it dawns on me I'm fighting another top tournament player who mains Scarlet. Long story short he bodies me over and over again but I feel like he's winning because he is able to move faster than my character the match isn't laggy but I'm moving slower(anyone else have this problem?) it's so frustrating to see every move or mixup you go for get punished on some god like reaction by the other guy. I'm not trying to say Scar is not a better player than me (because I'm sure he beat me offline too) but I can't help but wonder how he's able to read me so well (is my Mileena that predictable and I suck this much at this game?). BTW he was using kabal most of the time I know this match up but for some reason I couldn't punish any of his attacks but he had no problem punishing mine. he messaged me in the chat rooms claiming I jump to much but I didn't jump hardly at all unless I tried going for a cross up. I may have to upgrade my internet speed or something but I feel I can't play any better with the current state of mk9's online... well I beat this dead horse to death enough if anyone has any suggestions I'm more than willing to listen.

eh, you're a little predictable. You'd do alot better with a few more mix ups in your game. you almost never do B3 mix ups with Mileena. When you counter my noob in a 6-4 match up. My punishment for teleports is ass-poor. So I'm practically free to those.

Noob doesn't have a combo off a jump kick unless you're in the corner. all I get is maybe a teleport with option select. But that's hardly a reward for calling out a D4 to avoid a punch.

While on the flip side you get to combo me pretty hard for any mistake. And the most I get for punishment is like 20%.

I started winning a little more when I played a little more defensive. you play a really risky game which worked out for you for a while, especially against my noob who can't get a really good combo on a blocked roll/tele.

Skarlet on the other hand has great pressure, strong anti-air combos for your blocked rolls/teles.

Armored moves.

and she can combo off of jump kick.

Noob is in the huge risk factor that's why it's 6-4 in Mileena's favor because his zoning game won't work on Mileena (she can easily teleport or roll in for free pressure making the trades useless for him if he guesses wrong )the only way he can beat Mileena is play defensively and bait. Unfortunately you flip a coin on every trade with the clone.

Kabal on the other hand is death for Mileena. He can punish her hard on anything (believe me) by ex spin I can't do anything involving teleports because he can forward 4 spin combo plus chip for free on reaction. You have to fight scar's Kabal critical it's insane ( I thought I was fighting REO!!!)it's easy to say that all you have to do is down 4 and bait but unless you fight a high level Kabal like scar you have no way of knowing how bad of a match up it is!

His scarlet is even worse (if kabal wasn't bad enough!) but i'll save that rant for another day lol

I need to order another Hori pad since I'm condemned to a ps3 controller soon if I'm going to level up against these guys!

Eh... you're playing mileena dude, Kabal wouldn't feel so gay if you weren't playing a character that gets raped by kabal.

Mileena has a hard time with rush down characters, and skarlet is no exception.

Rushdown characters?

I knew there was a reason why I use Jax against your Mileena

jax is bad but not near as bad as Kabal! i'd gladly fight a hundered jax players over one high level kabal like scar's any day!
Eh... you're playing mileena dude, Kabal wouldn't feel so gay if you weren't playing a character that gets raped by kabal.
kabal rapes every character in this game he's that broken at the highest level.

High level Kabal players have stated that there is still some unused techs and mix ups but unless you are playing against Reo, there is no reason to bring them out yet. MLG Kabal mirror was enough for me to accept the fact that Kabal was out of my range.... I didn't even try to learn how to use him properly for match up reasons... mainly because no two kabal players are the same.

Last edited:
jax is bad but not near as bad as Kabal! i'd gladly fight a hundered jax players over one high level kabal like scar's any day!

kabal rapes every character in this game he's that broken at the highest level.

Right....

But there is a difference between trying to win like a 7-3 matchup vs someone that goes 5-5 or loses 4-6 to kabal.

Kabal doesn't absolutely rape EVERY character in MK9. plenty of characters feel pretty evenly matched against highest level kabal.

I'm arguing that your Mileena gets raped 10x harder against kabal, than say a skarlet would.

you know the people who think Kung Lao is OP are?

Smoke players, and kenshi players. All they can see are his tools from their perspective.

just like my friend who plays Johnny Cage thinks Kenshi is OP,

while I don't think so because Noob saibot goes 5-5 kenshi.