Shin Megami Tensei

nemesiswontdie

Finally decided to make a thread for Shin Megami Tensei's (Megaten for short) series: Persona.

The Persona series is about a high school student battling demons and other enemies called Shadows (Shadows are the evil born from peoples hearts) while trying to maintain a regular high school social life.

Persona is a turn based JRPG with social interactions like hanging out with friends in and outside of school, playing MMO RPG's on your days off, and sometimes even studying for exams.

The Persona series have a dark story and feel to them. Be it about a mysterious murder case (P4), the end of the world caused by people's need for the end (P3) and dark rumors that no matter how ridiculous, become true (P2).

All the characters in the Persona series are likable you can relate one way or another with each character which makes you love the cast of each game.

So far, I've only played Persona 3 and Persona 4. I've played a little bit of Persona 3: Portable on the PSP and some of Persona 1 on PSP as well.

Persona 4: The Golden is to be released on the Playstation Vita on November 20th.

Much like the Final Fantasy series, each story is different so you can pick up which ever game you want. Though P3 and P4 do mention each other at times.

Each dungeon is randomized so you can't just remember the layout to the dungeon as well.

Hopefully I can interest more people on here with the Persona series.

Persona 3 has by far the saddest and most beautiful ending I've ever seen to a game and that alone deserved a spot on my top 5 games of all time being at number 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Shin Megami Tensei: Persona Series

Persona 3 and 4 are some of the most unique games I have ever owned. You don't even need to like Japanese anime to enjoy these games.

Social interactions are excellent in this game. You WILL enjoy and pay attention to every conversation that goes on and the voice overs are great.

You don't have to be a fan of turn-based RPGs either. I don't like most of them. I could never get into the Final-Fantasy series but the interesting and addicting creativity in these games make them shine. I bought P3 and P4 for ps2, since I'm still picking up good ps2 games. So far, the game is truly flawless, only showing a glitch so far where my saved data wasn't present, causing me to restart the console.

The art style is great, along with the inclusion of cutscenes, giving it an anime-style feel. Environments are not just boring space-takers because there is always something to do, whether talking to new people, going to stores, or even playing an arcade game to increase your strength and other skills.

These games kick major ass and I can't wait to continue playing them.

And I recommended them to him! And now he loves em!

For most people I'd honestly say, start at P4. It's the most updated one and the story is great along with the amazing cast. But P3 is by far my favorite now. The story is so damn dark and the characters are amazingly put together with their looks and personality.

Hell you can even get into relationships with characters in the game.

In Persona 3: Portable for the PSP, you have the choice to make the main character a girl so you can date the guys like Akihiko, Junpei or Shinjiro.

I told Shira that I didn't like turn based RPG's because I don't but I still loved these games. And even he is really getting into them it seems, so that means that the turn based actions shouldn't turn you away from these games.

So far in P4: The Golden, Marie looks like the girl I'm going to be going after. She seems like she's my type of girl :p
2n1u9dx.jpg

Yeah I'm liking P3 because even the character designs are darker than the ones in P4.

We all know you wish you could be a girl in P3: Portable so you can get it on with Yukari :rolleyes:

Lol, I wish! You can't date girls if you're a girl yourself in P3P.

...If only....

Which Persona's do you have right now?

I'd have to go through my list to show off which ones I had near the end of The Journey, but I know off the top of my head I had Surt, Black Frost, Jack Frost, Queen Mab and Take Mikazuchi. Those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head. Surt came in a huge help because he had Agidyne which is one of the most powerful fire attacks in the game (12 sp for one enemy) and in The Answer, I had him again and he had a new move that took up 30 SP that did 500+ damage to one enemy. It was sweet.

I have Orpheus (since he's Minato's original Persona, I really don't want to fuse him into something, lol.)

That catgirl magician.

And Angel (recently got her off a card).

Lol, I still had Orpheus but he was at like, level 14 or something really low. So if I used him near the end of the game, he would level up about 4 levels per encounter haha.

In P4 I also still had Izanagi but I stopped using him when it was around level 12 or so. I never stick with their Initial Persona because there are better ones out there.

I like Yukari's Persona.

It's like some weird ass girl sitting on a weird ass throne.

And she does work on those bettles!

I LOVE the all-out attack. So satisying and hype.

Yeah her Persona is pretty cool, I don't think her Ultimate Persona as much as I do her Initial one, but it's still cool.

Akihiko's Ultimate is by far a lot cooler than his Initial.

My favorite persona by looks is by far Thanatos. He's fvcking bad ass.

ThanatosPersonafull496619.jpg

I haven't even been able to fight with Akihiko or Mitsuru yet, lol.

Yukari really helped with the eagles though.

It takes Akihiko awhile to get fully recovered but once he was, he never left my party. Mitsuru was only in my party for a little bit. She CONSTANTLY kept trying to charm the enemy when it was her turn (which was a waste of a turn because she never successfully hit) and when she did a physical attack, she'd always miss and fall down, so nope. You're out. She was replaced with Aigis and I didn't look back.

Not...

Once...

As soon as I saw Persona I knew for fact it was you NWD

I cannot decide on who is my favorite character on Persona 4, I love em all :(

Fellas I will leave this thread cause what I'm about to say will make both of you mad: I don't like RPG's

Please use the edit button, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fellas I will leave this thread cause what I'm about to say will make both of you mad: I don't like RPG's

This one will change your mind, dude. Seriously. I hated RPG's until I played Dragon Age: Origins back in the beginning of 2010, then I tried playing Final Fantasy and I hated it, then I decided to give Persona a shot and I loved it, man. Don't let the whole turn base battles and all the leveling up and grinding keep you away from this fvcking awesome series. The anime does P4 absolutely NO justice to the game.

Maybe Persona 4: The Golden will attract some attention.

And this generation of "gamers" sucks. You know how everyone looks down at older games so they'd never buy ps2 games.

Yup. I got shit from my friend because he saw P3 and P4 were PS2 games.
"GET WITH THE TIMES"

How about, no? The times suck ass.

One of the reasons why I started playing Persona 4 was because there are not many games of this generation that interest me. Unfortunately, Persona 3 & 4 were released about a year after the PS3 launch. By that time, those games fell under the radar, since most consumers already turned their attention to the X360 and PS3. I find it funny that months after stumbling upon a copy of Persona 4, news of P4:Arena surfaced.

One of the reasons why I started playing Persona 4 was because there are not many games of this generation that interest me. Unfortunately, Persona 3 & 4 were released about a year after the PS3 launch. By that time, those games fell under the radar, since most consumers already turned their attention to the X360 and PS3. I find it funny that months after stumbling upon a copy of Persona 4, news of P4:Arena surfaced.

That was pretty much the same with me last year. I beat Persona last October and it was right before the Anime was about to come out, then they made news of P4: Arena.

I'm thinking of getting of Vita just to play P4: Golden.

That's what I'm doing lol. Or you could just save a lot of money and get P4 on PS2, but the PS2 won't come with the extra stuff like Marie, the mopeds and all the new/different Persona's.

These hoes keep getting tired, lol I pushed Junpei so much before that he got sick, so I couldn't even use him the following night.

Got a night alone with Yukari. Giggity 8)

That's happened once with me lol. I pushed myself too hard and I got sick. Just go to the nurse at school if that happens and he'll give you something for it.

I have a question, does the social link thing still go on after you beat P3/P4?

I...kind of don't understand your question. Like what do you mean it still goes on after you beat P3 and P4?