Shin Megami Tensei

Re: Shin Megami Tensei: Persona Series

The no animation (as in cut scenes or movement from the models) makes it boring it. Even Soul Hackers has the bare minimum movement but it still has some in it.

I honesly never cared for the persona series, i have golden on the vita, but i got bored of it after an hour and sold it, maybe is because im not into rpgs, but i dont know...

...The first hour?

Wut?

Well yeah, you're not gonna fall in love with it within the first hour.

Buffs (-kaja) and debuffs (-kunda) are effective against virtually every boss in the game. At the very least it can cause some bosses, including Shadow Mitsuo, to waste turns trying to remove party buffs or debuffs instead of doing any real damage to the party.

Mitsuo himself will not take any damage until the shell is destroyed. Once his shell is destroyed,he will cast various Wall spells, which determines what elements he will resist and use against you. For example, if he uses Green Wall, wind spells will not be effective against him. He will also cast wind spells against the party, so however is weak against wind should guard. He will try to rebuild the shell, so it is imperative to inflict as much damage as possible before it is fully assembled. Failure to do so will drag the fight longer and strain your party of supplies and SP.

I also recommend bringing the persona Black Frost into the fight. Its ability to absorb Fire and Ice with no elemental weaknesses gives the MC is some survivability. Furthermore, if leveled up sufficiently, you will have Mind Charge and early access to Agidyne (party members will be have to be at least 8 levels higher before they get their high-tier elemental spells).

Last edited:

Despite my reservations, I picked up a copy SMT: Nocturne. One thing I like about this having more control over your party. The ability to talk to demons is a neat idea, but there seems to be no rhyme or reason to what options are will be in your favor. One thing for certain is they are greedy bastards who will keep on making demands, likely to throw fits if you refuse, and even run off despite showering them with gifts.

My Jack Frost is going to Learn Ice Breath soon, and he already has Mabufu. What is the difference between the two spells? Is it worth keeping around, or should I ditch one over the other?

Last edited:

Despite my reservations, I picked up a copy SMT: Nocturne. One thing I like about this having more over your party. The ability to talk to demons is a neat idea, but there seems to be no rhyme or reason to what options are will be in your favor. One thing for certain is they are greedy bastards who will keep on making demands, likely to throw fits if you refuse, and even run off despite showering them with gifts.

My Jack Frost is going to Learn Ice Breath soon, and he already has Mabufu. What is the difference between the two spells? Is it worth keeping around, or should I ditch one over the other?

Ice Breath, if I remember right has a special effect to it? I'm not exactly sure anymore since Jack Frost hasn't been in my party for quite sometime in Nocturne.

How are you liking it though? I think it's amazing, but it's unforgivable. That game will fvck you up.

As for the negotiations. I like that there is no "rhyme or reason". They all have different personalities, so they all will have different answers to questions.

I plan on finishing Nocturne once I beat Soul Hackers, which I am planning to be done with by the end of this week.

Ice Breath, if I remember right has a special effect to it? I'm not exactly sure anymore since Jack Frost hasn't been in my party for quite sometime in Nocturne.

How are you liking it though? I think it's amazing, but it's unforgivable. That game will fvck you up.

As for the negotiations. I like that there is no "rhyme or reason". They all have different personalities, so they all will have different answers to questions.

I plan on finishing Nocturne once I beat Soul Hackers, which I am planning to be done with by the end of this week.

I tend to be wary about dungeon crawlers, but I happen to like Nocturne.

To reiterate, the biggest thing I enjoy about the game is flexible control over your party. Having control over your MC's attributes and to a lesser extent skills is a welcome change. Since you are not limited with party members who are stuck with one persona and their respective skill set, there are more possible combinations when it comes to your party composition. You are right about game being unforgiving. My party got decimated in 2 rounds for being unprepared against the Matador.

The soundtrack kicks ass.

The environments have a rather bland design though, lots of corridors that look the same and rooms that serve little purpose except for getting the player to wander around and trigger the game's fairly high encounter rate. This would have been understandable for randomly generated dungeons, but since it isn't the case, they could have been given more landmarks to make them more interesting.

Anyways, there isn't much I can say since haven't made it that far into the game yet. I still want complete P3 first, so it will be a while before I pick up Nocturne again.

I tend to be wary about dungeon crawlers, but I happen to like Nocturne.

To reiterate, the biggest thing I enjoy about the game is flexible control over your party. Having control over your MC's attributes and to a lesser extent skills is a welcome change. Since you are not limited with party members who are stuck with one persona and their respective skill set, there are more possible combinations when it comes to your party composition. You are right about game being unforgiving. My party got decimated in 2 rounds for being unprepared against the Matador.

Yeah the party is a lot nicer than the Persona series for like you said, can't change attributes and such.

The soundtrack kicks ass.

Fvcking ain't it!? Nocturne has become one of my favorite OST's to listen to. I'm expecting SMTIV to be a lot better too. The sample song for SMTIV is just fvcking orgasmic.

The SMTIV sample songs are ripped from the official site but I'm seriously hoping they're just samples because that synth line that comes in at 1:25 is just too god damn good. They used the song in one of the trailers too and that last synth line is longer and it's sooooo much better. I could seriously listen to that last part of the song all day lol.

I don't even like Dante from DMC, but even his battle theme in Nocturne is pretty bad ass.

The environments have a rather bland design though, lots of corridors that look the same and rooms that serve little purpose except for getting the player to wander around and trigger the game's fairly high encounter rate. This would have been understandable for randomly generated dungeons, but since it isn't the case, they could have been given more landmarks to make them more interesting.

Anyways, there isn't much I can say since haven't made it that far into the game yet. I still want complete P3 first, so it will be a while before I pick up Nocturne again.

Yeah that is true. I got lost a lot in the prison level since every floor basically looks the same.

I'm now 12 hours into Soul Hackers. I am at the VR Haunted Mansion. I keep getting my ass kicked by the boss so I'm just grinding for awhile. The game has it's difficulty spikes, I'll say that for sure, but nothing compared to Nocturne still. The automap in SH is amazing. I haven't gotten lost yet. Getting by without maps in SH and Nocturne sucks. So I hope they add the automap into SMTIV as well since I already know that the levels are going to be a hell of a lot bigger than SH's levels.

*snip*
The SMTIV sample songs are ripped from the official site but I'm seriously hoping they're just samples because that synth line that comes in at 1:25 is just too god damn good. They used the song in one of the trailers too and that last synth line is longer and it's sooooo much better. I could seriously listen to that last part of the song all day lol.

I don't even like Dante from DMC, but even his battle theme in Nocturne is pretty bad ass.

This was the video that influenced my decision to get Nocturne. I'm indifferent about DMC, but the vid gave me a rough idea of how the the battle system works.

At Gamestop, I was asked if I wanted to pre-order SMT4. I had to pass since I don't own a 3DS. Besides the SMT games, I don't know what else I would get besides Nintendo-exclusives like Fire Emblem.

Yeah that is true. I got lost a lot in the prison level since every floor basically looks the same.

I'm now 12 hours into Soul Hackers. I am at the VR Haunted Mansion. I keep getting my ass kicked by the boss so I'm just grinding for awhile. The game has it's difficulty spikes, I'll say that for sure, but nothing compared to Nocturne still. The automap in SH is amazing. I haven't gotten lost yet. Getting by without maps in SH and Nocturne sucks. So I hope they add the automap into SMTIV as well since I already know that the levels are going to be a hell of a lot bigger than SH's levels.

If I didn't have access to a map, I wouldn't bother playing after a while.

Last edited:

This was the video that influenced my decision to get Nocturne. I'm indifferent about DMC, but the vid gave me a rough idea of how the the battle system works.

At Gamestop, I was asked if I wanted to pre-order SMT4. I had to pass since I don't own a 3DS. Besides the SMT games, I don't know what else I would get besides Nintendo-exclusives like Fire Emblem.

I'm actually using a guide for Nocturne. Not gonna lie. The map is huge, it doesn't really tell you where to go sometimes, so I just use a guide because it'd be easy to get lost.

As for getting a 3DS. Honestly, the SMT series is the only reason I wanted a 3DS. Same goes for the Vita. P4G was the only reason I wanted a Vita.

If I didn't have access to a map, I wouldn't bother playing after a while.

Well I mean, you have access to a map. It's on the bottom screen, but you have the choice to where automap is off which makes the bottom map screen blank and each step you take fills in the map or you have the automap which is the map already filled in.

Also NEW SMTIV TRAILER

IN ENGLISH!

Spoiler:
It also basically shows fvcking nothing at all

I love /SMTG/

Cool dudes I can have conversations with without bickering except what OST is going to be better. Nocturne or SMTIV. Either way. They came up with this. Here you guys go.

My first entry was actually Digital Devil Saga (part 1) and I didn't care for it since it was my first JRPG (yup) and didn't care for the random encounters and what not and the voice acting is pretty bad lol. So I stopped and got P4. So I guess you can say P4 was my first TRUE entry to the SMT series. Though this list is pretty damn spot on. The only thing I can't say about is Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha games and Devil Survivor as I've never played either of them or their sequels.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18k713jqk0xmypng/ku-xlarge.png

I'd post the IMG but the new Photobucket sucks ass and changes the size to all my pictures.

While I agree, you gotta remember it's for the 3DS. Not the PS3 or the 360. So I was always expecting PS2-like graphics.

Some of Atlus' titles have slick art direction, but they hardly ever push hardware limitations in their respective platforms. Now that I think about it, Atlus only published a handful of games for X360 and PS3, with Catherine being their sole in-house developed game. SMT is a niche series, and Atlus doesn't have the resources like Square-Enix to compete with AAA titles.

Last edited:

Some of Atlus' titles have a slick art direction, but they hardly ever push hardware limitations in their respective platforms. Now that I think about it, Atlus only published a handful of games for X360 and PS3, with Catherine being their sole in-house developed game. SMT is a niche series, and Atlus doesn't have the resources like Square-Enix to compete with AAA titles.

I love the art for the most part of the SMT series. I don't think they'll ever really push the hardware due to the games having so much stuff in them. There's always a lot of stuff to do, but then again, I'm one that will go for story and all the extra stuff they added instead of graphics.

You're right though. Atlus hasn't published much this gen. Catherine, P4A,P4G and that's really it that comes to mind.

SMT is basically the only thing that Atlus has going for it, developing wise. Not publishing. Though it's nothing to really complain about because each one is fantastic.

Ugh, now I'm tempted to picking up a 3DS, but that will have to wait since there are other expenses that I need to take care of first. Besides SMT IV, I'm particularly interested in Devil Survivor, since I'm a fan of strategy-RPGs, a sub-genre of RPGs which is sorely lacking outside of handhelds in this generation.

In other news, Persona 4 Arena: Official Design Works will be available in July. I like seeing design-related notes like this:
p4a-artbook-preview5.jpg