- Samurai Shodown
- King of Fighters
- Capcom VS
- Dead or Alive
- Blazblue
- Darkstalkers
- Arcana Heart
- Rival Schools

If you created/had your own fighting game, what kind of fighting game would you want? And which gaming company (Bandai Namco, Sega, Capcom, SNK, Konami or Netherrealm Studios) would want that? What mechanics would you want on your game?

Martial Arts? Weapons? Supernatural powers?

If I made my own, it'd be about psychics. Each one with its own kinetic ability. The power to control telekinesis, fire, water, ice, etc.

Sorry. Maybe I put it on the wrong forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I was to design a fighter, it would have to be made by NRS in 2.5D.

My characters would be inspired by Theater art using porcelain masks that would shatter as the progressive damage increases.

greek-theater-mask.jpg

product-enlarged.jpg

mask-theatre-workshop-1920x1200.jpg

Porcelain_Mask_of_Fu_Leng_4.jpg

The music would be a blend of classical music with rock and hip hop mixed in.

Its funny because I was thinking about this the other day

I'd probably have NRS design it with the same format as MK9

Itd probably be a mix of Martial arts and Horror type theme fighting games. basically a mix between Mk and Darkstalkers

For the music it would be a rock/horror theme.

For the characters I would probably grab inspiration from different horror media

Last edited:
Good forum!

I'd team up with NRS for this game.

My game would be a mixture of MKSM, Manhunt, Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects and Deadliest Warrior. The game will be based on complete realism and with other mature content, it may get an AO rating. The places and the concept may also be based on the Grand theft Auto series without using the vehicles that much though. The graphics 3D and as good or better than MK9's.

Fighting Mechanics/Gameplay: The button styles will be like Marvel Nemesis and MKSM. The character will begin unarmed with few special moves such as a flying kick as well as stealth moves where the character sneaks up behind an opponent to kick him/her at the back for example. Stealth moves must be done when no enemy notices you (like Manhunt). Unarmed combat can make good combos and can be combined with weapons (including guns) when performing combos.

Weapons: Weapons play a big role in this game. Guns/Explosives would be in the game where the character can aim at the opponent with a scope or just basically fire away. Melee weapons will come in a variety from something small like a syringe or pen to something more intimidating like a chainsaw and a yari (bladed staff). The melee weapons also have some special moves that can be performed. Melee weapons such as blades may dismember weaker enemies even before they die (like in Deadliest Warrior). The envidronment may be used as weapons too.

Rage (Power Up) Meter: There will be a 2 level meter that will power up the character. In the level 1 meter (if meaning if one meter is used), the character may perform a fatality that is simple but brutal (like unarmed fatalities and some of her weapon fatalities that involve a simple decapitation or a stab in the eye) or the character can power up with armor (damage may be inflicted but she usually won't fall off her feet or stumble), be a lot quicker and be a lot stronger (there will be a button to press for that). In level 2 (both meters used) there will be a button to press for the character to do a Brutality (MKSM style) where she can use her weapons and/or be punching/kicking, unarmed which may show internal x-ray damage or she may perform a Massacre (the "Multality" of my game) that involves weapons killing multple enemies and yes you must have certain weapons to do this such as swords or chainsaws that will decapitate the all the enemies around the character (does not work on boss characters but will get other enemies aorund him/her) Also in level 2, she may do the nastiest fatality with a combination of more than one weapon such as vertically impaling her victim first with a yari, and then torturing him to death by stabbing him with a knife while he's impaled and finally ripping his head off, or use one weapon such as a chainsaw split the victim vertically in half from crotch to groin. These level 2 fatalities can be done with weapons only and may be done face-to-face or with stealth (stealth kill). Also note that after beating a boss or major character, your health bar gains at least 1 level so you can at least finish your foe. ;-)

Finishers: Finishers usually kill the minions right away but when it comes to boss opponents or more major enemies, victims' health must be 1/4 or less or finishers can be done when the background voice says, "finish him" if the player beats the opponent already. There will be a button to press for the character to hit her opponent before she can do a finisher on him/her. Once she hits her foe with that button, the input will be similar to MKSM where it'll be timed for the player to put a specific intput for each fatality. For level 1 finishers, the player can just simply press one button depending on which finisher it is. For level 2 finishers, there must be a combination of buttons pressed for the input. There are two types of finishers, face-to-face kill or stealth kill. Let's talk about face-to-face kill first. Basically, a face to face kill is like the MK fatality where the character won't need to hide. The character can kill her minor enemies with it right The character will have a default finisher of doing curb stomp or neck break. But the finishers get really brutal it comes to the weapons. In level 1, the weapons usually just do a simple stab or decapitation and may follow up with a neck break or curb stomp only. In level 2, that's when weapons may be used with other weapons and can make the nastiest kills as mentioned above. The Stealth Kill on the other hand must be done without anyone noticing your character. It can be done unarmed or with weapons and can be done with 1 or 2 meters. To do the Stealth Kill, press the finisher button when sneaking up the opponent and do the combination. Again it shouldn't be hard to do especially because you can do a level 1 finisher with any one button. The level 2 finishers are like the inputs we do for Mortal Kombat fatalities. Multalities can also be considered when bombing or shooting multiple enemies at once (no need for a Power Up Meter but you will have very limited ammo/bombs).

Outfits: There will be pieces of clothing that can be unlocked with points and the player can mix and match the character's clothes.

Mini Game: That would be the sex game that can be found in several locations in the map of my game (especially San Francisco). You gain points, gain health, or even build up the Power Up Meter everytime you press a button correctly like in the God of War series.

Main Character: Cassandra Jade
mkakakcassandra.jpg

Overview: The story would be based on a corrupt society that ruins San Francisco and the other parts of the Bay Area because of some ghetto criminals taking over. Cassandra Jade will also have a few allies with her along the way tohelp her fight back and bring the Bay Area to the way it was before it got corrupt.

2 Player: May be co-op or there is a versus mode (imagine MKSM's and Marvel Nemesis's versus mode).

Music: Mostly pop songs from artists like Rihanna, Britney Spears, X-Tina, Ke$ha and more. It's kind of like what Lollipop Chainsaw did to the classic songs. And when the character is pwoered up, her background song would be "Toxic" by Britney Spears.

Hope you guys enjoyed. ;-)

Last edited:
Its funny because I was thinking about this the other day

I'd probably have NRS design it with the same format as MK9

Itd probably be a mix of Martial arts and Horror type theme fighting games. basically a mix between Mk and Darkstalkers

For the music it would be a rock/horror theme.

For the characters I would probably grab inspiration from different horror media

How would that story of yours go?

Combo System : Killer Instinct, but with Super Combos like Street Fighter

I'd also include finishing moves, but nothing too over the top like MK usually has. More like the ones from KI mixed in with MK.

Probably would go with Capcom on my company, due to the quality of games they have produced for so many years.

NRS.

Gameplay - Spacing Like street fighter, and a combo system like MK.
Fatalities of course. (Fatalities with more humor less realistically).
Characters - Horror themed definitely, I am not into the whole martial arts thing, or the Army type fighters.
Like a mixed up version of grim reaper and I have artwork of something just like that. (I am planning on a game making career.)
Arenas have to be some other world stuff. Like the pit 2.
Based on another realm or planet.

Take inspirations from MK characters and some powers from DC.

Oooops!!! This is a fighting game genre. Well, I would still have the same concepts above but with different characters. It'll be like Marvel Nemesis and MKSM va mode.

The style would be dark/gothic, but won't take itself too seriously.

It would be a 3D fighter with a button layout similar to Tekken with each button controlling left/right punch kick and speed like DOA.

Character's would be comic book-ish.

The combat will be mostly hand to hand.

There will also be a combo meter which builds up during the fight and you'll get a perk such as a projectile or a super combo etc...

Also has some multi-tier stages ala DOA.

The finishing moves will be executed like SC when your opponents health is low enough you will have to hit the right combination and you'll get a cut-scene like finishing move. They will be over the top, not realistic at all.

The sound would be Industial and Metal inspired.

This made me think of the defjam games but I like it! Rock legends beating each other up would be awsome -- ozzy vs rob zombie, Steven Tyler vs Alice Cooper, Axel Rose vs Kurt Cobain.

Not much anime-like fighting games here.
There is a no shortage of them when it comes to games actually produced, especially if you look into some indie games that the Japanese produced. Some of the better ones even get an arcade release later on. I would try some out if there were English patches and such. I like some anime, but it's not something I want for myself, being influenced by many different artists.

I hope this thread gets more responses, especially with so many people expressing how MK or any fighting game for that matter should be like. I haven't fine-tuned my ideas yet, so forgive me if I'm indecisive.

Company: There is a oligopoly in the fighting genre as it is, I'd rather bring in "new blood" to compete with the giants of the genre. If I had to choose between existing companies, I would either go with SNK or Reverge Labs. SNK already made a game similar to what I have in mind, and have been consistently good with fighting games in general. Reverge Labs, a newcomer, proven they can make a decent fighting game, and I like the animation they did with Skullgirls. Visual Concepts in 90's might have been a viable choice, but these days they primarily make sports games.

Art Style: Graphics will be sprite-based. Animation is hand-drawn. I'm leaning towards stylization along these lines....
Spoiler:
Night_Walk_by_MattRhodes.jpg
ME0000197186_2.jpg
The_Whispered_World_2.jpg
There is a moderate degree of blood, nothing over-the-top like MK.

Music: I would go for orchestral, Norse or Celtic folk music (or something like it), and even overtone singing, depending on the stage/scene.

Setting: I'm going for a fantasy setting. As far as time period is concerned, the Middle Ages will tentatively serve as its base. I may allow some anachronism as I see fit. Geography is diverse to provide a wide range of arenas. It can range from anything from a urban environment to a sparsely inhabited swamp.

Casting: It will mostly consist of human or humanoid characters wielding melee weapons or magic. There might might be odd character who fights unarmed or use ranged weapons.

Gameplay: The game will be 2D fighting game in a similar vein of Samurai Shodown and Weaponlord.

Tapping forward twice to run and tapping back twice will perform a backdash. Only a select few characters can double-jump, air-dash, or wall jump.

Some attacks can hit a downed opponent. When a character has fallen, there is option to delay getting up, stand up quickly, or roll depending on the situation.

While I want opportunities for combos, I prefer their hit count to be on the lower end of the spectrum like Virtua Fighter 5.

I'm unsure if blocking should be manual or done by holding back. Chip damage is possible by specials and supers, not regular attacks.

Damage and properties of attacks may change depending the character's effective range of weapon/fighting style. For example, if a spear user thrusts, maximum damage will come from hitting with the tip of the spear. The same attack will do less damage at closer ranges, where they will be hit with the shaft. Swords have less of a penalty, having a larger cutting surface with their attacks.

Parries can be used disrupt an opponent's attack, giving you opportunity to counter. Beware, using a parry too early will momentarily leave your vulnerable to an enemy's strike. Weapon clashes are possible when two weapons collide without hitting the other character, cancelling out both attacks. Taunts may provide bonuses such as increased defense or longer stun on the next attack.

Meter gain is more or less typical fighting game fare. It's gained from attacking, blocking, and parrying. Hitting a blocking opponent and using a special attack (even without landing a blow) will gain a small amount of meter. Meter can stocked for later use. Meter can be expended by disrupting a combo and pushing them back, or used for a super. More powerful supers may use more than one stock.

Last edited:
- Tekken talked about a fighter family clan that carries a family curse.
- Soulcalibur involved two swords of good & evil
- Street Fighter was about the way of a true fighter and not get addicted to evil power
- Mortal Kombat was about a battle between good and evil in an ancient tournament

What's your story for the next fighting game franchise?

All based on Shaolin.
Combat would be incredibly flow based. Attacks coincide with movement. Moving in the direction of your attack increases the momentum and damage. Blocking and moving in the exact opposite direction would cause you to shift the opponent's weight, putting them off balance. A parry of sorts. Gameplay would be somewhat like DoA, except not as dynamic and over the top.

A genuine experience.

Stages showing off the greatest beauty China's uninhabited natures and rural areas have to offer. Cherry blossom trees, bases of waterfalls, mountainous ridges of green overlooking clouds, the Temple itself.

Multitudes of fighting styles, pole fighting as well.

No electronic music, all true instrumentals.

Single player tutorial modes would be actual training exercises monks do.

The game would never sell well, but I would never stop playing it. I love Shaolin above all other human creations.

Super Steam Bros
who wouldnt love to duke it out between Super Meat Boy, and Gordon Freeman.

But yeah as for an original fighter, I dont know if I would like it to be too theme driven. Something more along the lines of Killer Instinct with its random characters. Idk, I just liked that game and the fact it featured a dinosaur, a robot and a werewolf fighting and I would love to capture the same feeling that game had.

We've seen bloody roar where a fighter transforms into a werebeast.

How about a fighting game where martial artists around the world are influenced by beast spirits. From normal to legendary.

Ok what I said above is my ideal adventure game.

Now I will talk about my fighting game.

This game would be made by NRS.

Gameplay:
It'll be like Mortal Kombat 9 (3D in a 2D plane) with blood and gore but with complete realism. No powers!!! The button lay outs would be similar to MK9 too. Each character has their own unique styles and special moves that involves unarmed combat, gadgets, and weapons. So most will have some kind of weapon to use. Environments may be used too like in Injustice. Some stages may have different levels.

Rage Meter: There will be 4 levels.
- Level 1 allows characters to do an enhanced special move.
- Level 2 allows the character to do a counter attack.
- Level 3 allows the character to do a super combo. In this level, the character will either run up to his/her opponent and do a series of attacks in combination ending with one strong blow depending which character it is (like in King of Fighters and in Street Fighter), it can be a series of projectiles such as a long machine gun attack, or even a combination of both.
- In level 4, the character may use an armor that allows them to not fall down or react to any hit inflicted on them but will still take damage even though it's less damage than when he/she doesn't have armor. This armor would last for about 1 minute.
- Also in level 4 is the x-ray move. This will inflict more damage than the level 3 super combo. An x-ray can work on an "armored" opponent but will inflict less damage during the "armored mode" of the enemy.
- The meter may be gained by performing special moves (not enhanced), getting hit by the enemy, or hitting an opponent that's blocking, or hitting an armored opponent with basic moves or special moves (not enhanced moves) only.

Finishers:
- There would be fatalities that are nastier and more realistic than MK with some involving private parts being tortured and mutilated by sharp objects especially by this character named Cassandra Jade. ;)
- If you don't want to kill your enemy, you can always do a friendship.
- Brutalities would be here too. It'd be similar to the ones in Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks but with some x-ray vision.
- And of course, stage fatalities will be here too.
- Here is an idea of how brutal finishers can get. Imagine some of those finishers being done on private parts of the human body.

Music:
Would be similar to MK9 and King of Fighters but more darker and grittier.

Setting:
It'll take place in a modern timeline. Characters will be like ppl we see today (a variety).

Stages:
It usually is in any place that's modern. Most are real places we know (like San Francisco) but may be ruined because of the game's storyline.

Story:
Based on criminals taking over certain places (San Francisco especially) so badly that those places have been ruined and with many buildings taken down. It's up to Cassandra Jade and her other allies to stop the evil and save their loved ones before it's too late. A tournament would be held to determine the fate of the ppl and these cities.
(Not that good with story telling lol.)

Secrets:
Would be DLC or hidden or unlockable.

Last edited: