Reptile Guide by Treadmill

Treadmill

This will be a work in progress as it will take a while to get everything in I'd like.
BEST NORMALS:

2: 9 Frames, special cancellable, best anti air option
1: 9 frames and leads to his fastest full combo punish with 122
F2: good reach, special cancellable
D4: greatly lowers his hit box, good advantage on hit, combined with acid hand makes it an amazing footsie/spacing tool. Feel free to abuse d4 acid hand as its a safe overhead poking option with push back. Also d4 forceball works well and creates fear in the opponent and d4 fball is a decent anti air that you can combo after
B4: reptiles sweep hops over many annoying d4's like mileena and sonya

BEST STRINGS:

1221: one of the few strings in the game that is four hits long, and also has the last two hits as overheads.

The last hit is not special cancellable however it does pop up. If you hit confirm the last hit you can normal dash f2 into ex forceball and continue comboing, or slide.

The go to combo from 1221 is this...122 slowball njp(timing is strict so if you have trouble skip njp) 32 fastball 321 slide/invis/slowball/ex slowball. Reptile has numerous combo ender's which I will get into later.

Using 12b1 on blocking opponents is good to keep them guessing. B1 is low, but can't be comboed out of. You can follow a hit from b1 with d4 shenanigans or f2 variations, or with ex elbow dash, 321 mix ups etc.

321: this is reptile's primary combo and pressure string. It's not as fast as 1221 but the damage output, reach, and fact that any hit of 321 on block leaves reptile at 0 advantage make it his best, and one of the best, strings in the game.

321 elbow dash njp slowball 32 fastball 321 ender of choice is his best combo.

2f31+2: this is primarily used to end combos. Example...321 edash njp sball 32 fball 2f31+2. On airborn opponents in combos, the 1+2 will do 1 of 2 things. If the opponent blocks he will get otg(off the ground) reset and be left at disadvantage for more pressuring. If he doesn't block he takes the hit and receives 7% unscaled reset damage. This is great to force opponents to either eat huge combo damage or give up wake up options and be left at disadvantage.

If blocked, a d3 attempt is guaranteed if reptile slightly dashes and cancels it with the d3. You can also d4 fball to try and catch opponents jumping and full combo punish, or d3 ex edash to continue more pressure and build meter.

F31+2: good poking option as f3 can hop over some pokes, has great distance and 1+2 only comes out if f3 hits.

F2b1: second hit is overhead and you can combo after in the corner. F2 has good reach as well.

MUCH MORE TO COME!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

COMBOS (ed=elbow dash, dash=normal dash)
All damage is without jip, just add 3%. All listed are for damage, hence ending with a slide. Usually you would negate the slide for forceballs or invisibility etc.

BNB1 321 ed njp sball 32 fball 321 slide (37%)

BNB2 122 fball njp (strict timing takes practice) 32 sball 321 slide (34%)

BNB3 fball njp 32 sball 321 slide (31%, or 30% if sball is done first

BNB4 2 fball njp 32 sball 321 slide (35%) this combo has good damage but use only if you know it will connect as you can't hit confirm it and you will get blown up on a blocked forceball.

Njp combo...
Njp dash(not elbow) 32 fball 32 sball 321 slide (32%) second 32 sball is strict timing, you can omit the 32 and just do sball and finish for 29%

EX COMBOS
While using meter for combos is usually a waste of meter for reptile, if it'll kill them try these. There are more but again, you will use these rarely.

321 ed njp exah dash 32 fball sball 321 slide (42%)

122 fball njp exah dash 32 sball 321 slide (39%)

32 exfball njp exah dash 32 sball 321 slide (45%)

ANTI AIR

2 fball 32 sball 321 slide (31%)

D4 fball 32 sball 321 slide (29%)

CORNER
There are more but these are his best, most consistent. Also I highly recommend ending all corner combos with 321 invis. You sacrifice 1% and now they have to guess what you do next.

BNB 321 ed njp 4 fball 321 sball 321 slide (42%)

321 ah 321 fball 321 exsball 4 slide (43%)

BACK TO CORNER

exed d4 fball 321 sball 321 slide (39%)

32 exed d4 fball 321 sball 321 slide (44%)

XRAY COMBOS...don't do it unless it will 100% kill them. His Cray had MASSIVE scaling in combos. Usr it for unbreakable damage or to squeeze like 3% more to kill at the end of a combo.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm on my phone so ill have to adjust a lot of stuff later, thanks.

I wanted to use Reptile so bad. Then I use him when the game came out and he felt so sluggish. Obviously this isn't the case since we've all seen Reptiles bounce around the screen like it's nothing.

Do you have any tips on moving around with Reptile that doesn't involve hail marying dash charges.

Good stuff treadmill, I always wanted to pick up reptile, and now I have a guide from the best reptile on XBL 8)

Will you have match up knowledge in this guide?

Yes

put up the match up section so that I may exploit Reptile's weakness

He has none (not saying he's S+). Its all about making smart reads and conditioning that will determine a win or not. I would try to be patient when playing against Reptile and Ermac because they can trick you into playing in their tempo instead of establishing your own. I would also say to be wise on his projectiles as they usually lead into juggles and don't play cat and mouse when rushing down on his dash and his slide.

Yeah guess ill put my thoughts in about match ups. Sorry it is taking me so long to finish this. I'll work.more on it tonight.

Take your time man, I'd rather have a well organized and informative guide vs a Half assed wall of text lol.

I wanted to use Reptile so bad. Then I use him when the game came out and he felt so sluggish. Obviously this isn't the case since we've all seen Reptiles bounce around the screen like it's nothing.

Do you have any tips on moving around with Reptile that doesn't involve hail marying dash charges.

Get a forceball on screen. It's your safety net. If you manage a slow ball dash in. Reptile has the fastest walk speed in the game as well.

Good reptiles will normally stay outside the range dash connects when trying to get in so that when you opportunity arises a quick dash in and now you are playing footsies or jumping in.

If you are afraid of a blocked dash, ex it if you have meter. Reptile gains meter like a champ, so using ex dashes and ex slow balls is your go to meter usage with him.

Get a forceball on screen. It's your safety net. If you manage a slow ball dash in. Reptile has the fastest walk speed in the game as well.

Good reptiles will normally stay outside the range dash connects when trying to get in so that when you opportunity arises a quick dash in and now you are playing footsies or jumping in.

If you are afraid of a blocked dash, ex it if you have meter. Reptile gains meter like a champ, so using ex dashes and ex slow balls is your go to meter usage with him.

Nice. So I use my slow force like a moving ice clone? I like this strategy. I'll try him out later.

Yes! Perfect analogy.

Say you do 321 ed njp sball 32 fball 321 ex sb(this only works because you did sball first, you can't do 2 of the same ball in a combo)...you get 34% then a slow movong, mid hitting, pop up projectile for free pressure jump ins etc.

He has none (not saying he's S+). Its all about making smart reads and conditioning that will determine a win or not. I would try to be patient when playing against Reptile and Ermac because they can trick you into playing in their tempo instead of establishing your own. I would also say to be wise on his projectiles as they usually lead into juggles and don't play cat and mouse when rushing down on his dash and his slide.

He has weaknesses, but I liken him to sektor because they seem to be the most balanced characters in the game.

His anti air options outside of ex forceballs is crazy limited. His fastest string is 9 frames and can be ducked. His normal dash is basically non existent. He has nothing outside of d4 and ex dash that gives him legit advantage, even then he is only guaranteed little more than a poke.

That being said he does have very few bad match ups. He goes even with or beats most of the cast with a few exceptions.

Sonya, wrecks him. Bad. Like 7-3 in my opinion. Everything he does, she has a counter. Her footsie beat his, her damage, resets into pressure...she can jump over forceballs, dive kick into like 40% then standing reset you with frame advantage. She outzones him. All her normals are faster and lead to huge damage. Nightmare of a time.

Mileena still beats him in my opinion. Sub zero goes even but it can feel like his favor if you play agressive as he negates edash. Kung Lao beats him, Reppy can't control his hopping around. Cyrax gives him problems, so does Freddy.

The good news is he pretty much goes even with kabal, because the forceball animation drops reptile under iagb. He also goes even with Kenshi and kitana.

Reptile is top 10 in my opinion AMD fares well against the top dogs.