MK9 Basics guide

I was planning to.

Critical, I didn't change my definition of baits in the glossary because what you were describing was reads/yomi.

^^^^^^
@Yung - You brought up a good point I didn't see anything about Tech Throws, Tech Rolls vs Wake-ups either but honestly for a noob it's going to be a bit harder to determine a forward throw vs a back throw. If a fighter like Sub Zero wants you in the corner he will more than likely try to throw you back in the corner for more damage but for a fighter who want more open space he will put himself in the corner and open the plain for a juggle combo IE Smoke's infinite como. These are easier to predict than the mid screen 50/50 guess. MK has three variations of Tech throws - Forward, Back and airial - If the opponent grabs you with a back throw, you can perform a tech by pressing Front Punch or Front Kick right after the opponent connects their throw. If they perform a front throw, you can tech out by pressing either back Punch or back Kick right after the opponent grabs you.

Landing the correct tech is about 1% of damage against you vs its full damage

@kzaoo --Major props on the meter managment portion.

Last edited:
Teching grabs in MK is hella hard compared to SF.

I remember watching a match on stream and the commentators were like "Throws are powerful in MK" but when I think about it, not many characters have good Oki set ups after a throw or any devastating Mix-up potential after, So are throws really that powerful in MK? o-o

I was planning to.

Critical, I didn't change my definition of baits in the glossary because what you were describing was reads/yomi.

Doing 2,1(Kung Lao) then back dashing. Is baiting a poke.

the read and the bait go hand in hand. I do the 2,1 dash back because I expect(read) a poke. thus "baiting" a poke.

Everytime you bait you're making a read so obviously it's hand in hand.

When I back dash after 2,1 and they don't poke. I still tried to "bait" it. but I didn't actively bait it because they didn't fall for it. So it's just a failed bait/read. the difference is... a READ can be used for things that aren't "baiting" but baiting always has to be a read.

Like I can read a backthrow instead of a forward throw. But I obviously didn't bait your backthrow lol I just read it because it's optimal for you.

but anything you mention about baiting. It's always a read also.

You definitely need to add conditioning though.

Last edited:
Your armor thing is still confusing.

You take damage on super armor and regular armor. the difference is regular armor has a limited number of hits and the armor can be broken, while super armor can't until the game says the armor is over.

I know you know what you're talking about kzaoo, I just think a newbie reading it might think super armor has invincibility because you only mention the damage on regular armor. and then you use an example of "breaking armor" for taking damage..

It's confusing.

You take damage on super armor and regular armor. the difference is regular armor has a limited number of hits and the armor can be broken, while super armor can't until the game says the armor is over.

I know you know what you're talking about kzaoo, I just think a newbie reading it might think super armor has invincibility because you only mention the damage on regular armor. and then you use an example of "breaking armor" for taking damage..

It's confusing.

I definitely have to change it, I thought that when I read it myself tbh. I did add conditioning as well. Thanks for the input.
With Jade's EX glow don't you take double damage? Does that have a specific name?

It's confusing.

Also, I'm fairly sure you can disrupt normal armor with projectiles.

Also, I'm fairly sure you can disrupt normal armor with projectiles.

This is true, but since most armor has to absorb atleast ONE hit. It needs to be a multi hit projectile to break armor. like Sonya's EX fireballs, or Skarlets fireballs.

Or really fast back to back IAF like kabal. Armor moves are strong against zone tactics as long as it's use to absorb the projectile and it's semi fast approaching.

@Kzaoo: no specific name that I know of. but yes she takes 1.5 more damage.

Also her super armor ends if the move that does 1.5x more damage would kill her. It'll cancel her super armor and she'll take the hit to avoid death. (aka taking normal damage instead)