MK9 Basics guide

NO!

Jumping in and attacking is all I know!
Forget applying back dashing and dash punches and Heavy Kicks to apply spacing to my opponents. JUMP IN AND ATTACK DAMNIT!

NO!

Forget applying back dashing and dash punches and Heavy Kicks to apply spacing to my opponents. JUMP IN AND ATTACK DAMNIT!

Let me introduce you to my friend called antiair ( standing 1 ) he loves people who love to jump.

NO!

Pretty much how I play UMvC3 with the exception of Phoenix Wright lol.

I do no such thing as spacing in MK9. None. Especially if I'm using that Tarkatan slut.

"Mobility

"Special Advance" – Certain tools given to characters that can be used to close in, whiff, or attack.

Example:
// Jax – Dash punch (after a ground pound fake, a cancel into a dash punch is a great advantage)
// Reptile – Elbow dash (can extend combos as well as be used as a maneuvering tool since it's faster than a regular dash) & Slide (slide can be used to go under certain projectiles)
// Kabal –Nomad Dash and Nomad cancel are a big part of his footsie strategy
// Cyrax, Freaddy, CSZ, and Raiden can advance or retreat with teleport
// Mileena - Although it’s high risk, a ball roll from a far enough distance can get you close enough to cause your opponent to open themselves up for full combo if they guess wrong on the up4 or the B3 start up.

I know its character specific but this post can apply to most characters.

@riko
I was thinking of adding those whilst I was doing it, but I decided against it as most of those things aren't really used to move around and if newbies think things like Reptile's run are sensible options for moving around, well, that isn't very good, lol

What about advancing Normals Kzaoo? Like Mileena's F+3 or Johnny's F+3.

I value spacing over rush down to be honest, It's so much rewarding to play lame than it is to go on a relentless offense IMO. Plus Mileena's pressure game is kinda weak so I heavily rely on whiff punishing and playing the Midrange game.

It's so sick to get a Anti Air 1, or D+1 with Scorpion with baiting jump ins and go into the vortex.

Yeah, I was also contemplating putting them in, but wasn't really sure so I just decided I could edit it in.

Yup, i'll add it in. I'll put a section at the bottom for anybody who suggested something to give them credit for it and say what they inputted. I'm gonna put it into my own words, however.

Anyway, how is it so far? Is there anything I need to go into more detail about or anything?

Everything is dandy. And lame over rushdown? I couldn't do that but i can understand your opinion

should seperate a category for Armor vs Super armor.

Normal armor can break to rapid hits like.

Noob Saibot's Xray. It can only absorb one hit. If you rapid hit him, You'll snuff his X-ray

Where as Super armor is like Jade's EX glow or Kung Lao's EX tele.

Also your description of Advantage is a bit misleading.

Advantage does not mean you get to attack. It just means you can act slightly quicker from an encounter than your opponent. and you gotta specify if it's hit advantage/block advantage.

Because advantage could also mean you got the stage advantage.

Baiting vs Conditioning.

baiting is the act of waiting for your opponent to do what you expect them to do. If you proc'd correctly. Punishment comes after.

Conditioning is where you repeat an action, to force your opponent to form a habit. So you can sort of "FORCE bait" a response.

For instance. If you spam F4 with Ermac. They cannot escape until they block low. You chain enough of these in a row. multiple times you get the opportunity. You'll condition them to stay blocking low after 1 successful F4. Then you just succeeded in conditioning them, so you can bait a blocking response from them perhaps to charge his B2 unblockable.

ect ect.

Also you can breaker a single hit.

I've done a breaker my opponents initial hit. You just have to be anticipating it.

For instance one time Johnny cage nut punched me, he gets a free jip, 11F1

Well I instead didn't block and then hit breaker on his JiP when I LET it hit me. Thus allowing me to live, where I otherwise would ahve died. the chip from JIP would've killed me.

Also hitbox is the area that is the attack, that when it overlaps with the hurtbox it hits them. So hitbox is the area that can cause damage when collided with a hurtbox.

Hurtbox is "the area that you can hit the character"

Also the "Vortex" is a bit misleading.

It's just a combo that leads into a "free mix up" scenario, that when either option is guessed wrong. It leads back into the same thing.

For instance, You get a free mix up off of Ermac's F4 standing reset right?

But it's not called a vortex. Now why is that? because his mix ups don't lead into a combo when guessed correctly that lead back to the same scenario.

Last edited:
Thanks! I'll make those changes a bit later. Trying to explain things like advantage without using frame data is a bish :laugh:

Last edited:
Updated
Added extra info to mobility section, added (unfinished) meter management section and changed a few things in the glossary section.

I also added a "contributions" section for all people that added info to the guide.

You should talk about the negative edge, how it can ruin your combos and how you can take advantage of it.