TRMK Matchup Discussions

On block, She can't do anything but Uppercut to punish it.

But her Teleport can stuff his, both normal and EX.

Not gonna backpage ya.

Wouldn't it be more sensible to change the matchup being discussed when the conversation about the matchup dries up? The reason I think this is because if ut only gets updated every 7 days and the conversation dries up in 3 days it would be silly to wait, wouldn't it?

Not gonna backpage ya.

Wouldn't it be more sensible to change the matchup being discussed when the conversation about the matchup dries up? The reason I think this is because if ut only gets updated every 7 days and the conversation dries up in 3 days it would be silly to wait, wouldn't it?

There is enough to talk about each matchup, to last a month trust me. It's just people need to think about every detail.

For instance,

What's the risk and reward of doing a up-missile on a knocked down mileena?

What does Sektor benefit if he guessed right that she would stay there blocking.

What does Mileena gain if she guesses correctly and does a wakeup attack, or blocks.

That way people can better weigh their options.

@Treadmill

Sektor may have better point blank pokes.

But mileena has better range.

Up+4 with mileena can bait/punish jump ins or whiff moves from a distance.

So if she D4's you, and thinks your gonna jump next or dash in block, or dash in attack.

U+4 covers all those options. It anti-airs the jump in, it punishes whiffs, and it's a nice move to use to start pressure on block because your safe enough that you can check them if they decide to poke it.

Mileena can't wake up against the Up missile set up, Sektor can block and punish both the roll and Teleport.

If they try to Hit confirm His low starter into teleport and I guess right she can combo then, but that's about it though. If she techs a throw there's nothing she can do. I usually play patient against Sektor and wait for him to make mistakes.

Could you explain MK footsies to me? Cause it seems as if MK footsies are a lot different that SF footsies o-o

Mk footsies, is just the motion of trying to open up your opponent.

Through either, overhead/low. or by pokes to gain advantage to bait a slower move to your quicker move.

So if you're doing Up+4, and you check with D3, then do 1,1. Then sektor D3,'s you back after the blocked 1,1. gains advantage, does 1,2,B1 pressure.

All of this is footsies. The whole "Scenario" is footsies. Pokes are the most used moves during footsies because of their speed and use in gaining advantage.

The segment where your on the offensive, is pressure obviously. When a Johnny cage is dominating someone while they're blocking. You don't say "Good footsies johnny" right?

The footsies happens when the player pokes back, and johnny either baits the poke with his own poke or blocks it, then pokes back. Blah blah blah.

that whole exchange is what footsies is.

Is that lunging neckbite move unsafe on block vital?

Mileena can't wake up against the Up missile set up, Sektor can block and punish both the roll and Teleport.

If they try to Hit confirm His low starter into teleport and I guess right she can combo then, but that's about it though. If she techs a throw there's nothing she can do. I usually play patient against Sektor and wait for him to make mistakes.

Could you explain MK footsies to me? Cause it seems as if MK footsies are a lot different that SF footsies o-o

Fast forward to 38:56

Ah, I understand now.. Cause people are like Sektor's footsies are better than Kitana's footsies (Example) and I'm like "Lolwut?"

and Yup, all of her Specials are unsafe on block.

Soooo.. You're telling me, I've been playing footsies this whole damn time (About 6 months) and not even noticing it.. I'm mad at myself right now. Lol, and I have this urge to play MK now..

Also, The Word Imbigious. I love that word, it sounds so cool.

Last edited:
Ah, I understand now.. Cause people are like Sektor's footsies are better than Kitana's footsies (Example) and I'm like "Lolwut?"

and Yup, all of her Specials are unsafe on block.

Soooo.. You're telling me, I've been playing footsies this whole damn time (About 6 months) and not even noticing it.. I'm mad at myself right now. Lol, and I have this urge to play MK now..

Also, The Word Imbigious. I love that word, it sounds so cool.

In that video that Rikolaw posted.

Most people consider that spacing from my experience, but spacing is also a form of footsies.

Just think of it like this for general purposes.

it's using safe moves (and spacing) and a mixture of them to bait out patterns in your opponent, same goes for the opponent. they do safe stuff to test the waters of your patterns.

that's BASICALLY what footsies is. It's more deep than just that obviously. It's hard to describe becasue there's so much to it.

There's a whole handbook about Footsies by Sonic Hurricane, it's more related to SF footsies but same principles applies in MK. Kinda...

I really enjoyed that short Footsies Tut though, very informative in a small time.

This isn't particularly mileena vs sektor but EVERYONE vs sektor.

As long as you block low, and watch for the foot rising.

Since Sektor's low hits quicker than his overhead.

You can always guarantee you block both if he's a "Act ASAP" kind of player.

So if you just watch his leg rise and go LOW then High. You can cover both of sektor's options. You don't have to GUESS when you see his leg rise up cuz his Low starter and overhead almost look similar when they start up.

So I always want to block low against Sektor, and Ok.. Similar to blocking Scorpion's vortex. The Fuzzy guarding trick.

So I always want to block low against Sektor, and Ok.. Similar to blocking Scorpion's vortex. The Fuzzy guarding trick.

correct, but instead of waiting for the JIP as a rythm setter.

you're just watching for his leg left. the lower starter has a leg lift look also. So it works out if you do it everytime.

Taoxw.jpg

Original thread http://www.testyourmight.com/threads/mk-9-tier-list-august-2012.24692/

This a match up chart from TYM made with everything considered. It might not be 100% correct. But it's getting there.

We're not discussing probability of who beats who in the matchups N9195v

Just talking options and how each character should be played in specific scenarios/ options available/ Reaction vs prediction/ ect ect.

We're not looking for numbers like

oh this matchup is 6-4.

Just simply....

matchup discussion.

Just shaking my head right now.. Seriously 2-8 in Kenshi's favor?

4-6 in Jax's favor? Cage is understandable, I wish she had Armor on atleast ONE of her EX specials.. So lame and dumb I swear.

If you want to discuss likely hood of a character beating another character of equal skill I believe someone already made a thread for that, with that SAME chart here. Or you can go to TYM.

This is strictly to break down the gameplay of a match between sektor and mileena.

BBBLP:

Do you have any uses for any of his strings outside of

1,2,B1
B3,4
U+3,4

I swear these are the only strings I ever see sektors use. Does he have other useful ones?

Still can't believe Sektor doesn't have armor on EX Flame.

I don't know shit about footsies, because I don't care about them, but when someone knows the Sektor matchup and continually blocks low, I just go in with my dash d3 dash d3 spam. I've practiced it so much its insane. I throw in uppercuts too. They have nice pushback on block and will kill them if they jump.

Also I agree with Kazoo, 7 days for discussion is pretty dumb when you, Vital & I are the only ones contributing.

@Critical-Limit Okay calm down dog. I didn't read the OP the Thread title is very misleading no need to bite ones head off.

BTW I made that thread with the SAME chart......

Anyway.

Sektor's Forward2 is advantage on hit and 0 on block. It moves him about as far as a jump in. It's extremely useful but Mileena's down 4 will beat it every time.

Robo Sektor can only get like 23% punish on a blocked tele or roll. Human can get slightly more because of his his box on 122. I think it's like 30%.

They both only have armor on their X-Rays. They both have risky wake up games that can be safe with meter(I know ex tele isn't 100% safe but it's a pain to punish).

Sektor has to be really careful with zoning because if mileena guesses right or reacts "It's big trouble in little china" for sektor.

They both have low hitboxes.

They both have hella damage.

They both have ways to end combos on top of the opponent. But Sektor has to use meter.

BBBLP:

Do you have any uses for any of his strings outside of

1,2,B1
B3,4
U+3,4

I swear these are the only strings I ever see sektors use. Does he have other useful ones?

Outside of combos?
I use F2 a lot. I also use his double jab. B1 is nice to create distance.

But B2, 1 is a major player in his large damage game.

@N9, what do you mean Sektor has to use meter to get on top of his opponent?