MKDA: more violent than MK9?

Noob Saibot 2011

What do you think.

I still think MK9 is the goriest MK. But MKDA really isn't that far behind it. (Except for quan chi's fatality)
When scorpion spears your head off in MKDA parts are scattered EVERYWHERE on the floor making it look over the top. However its still nothing compared to noob's ''make a wish fatality'' Where he spilts his opponent in half balls first. And kung lao's razor's edge fatality.

What do you think :).

I think MK:DA just as if not more violent than MK9 it's just the worse/out of date graphics make it seem cartoonish and takes away from the seriousness of the violence and gore, if it was made today with MK9's details and graphics I think it'd be considered more violent. Like in MK9 you see Kung Lao cut someone in half in full details and you're like:

227ef5_2795903.jpeg

I think MK:DA is more violent because the kombatants used swords on each other a lot more often, in terms of gameplay

In terms of fatalities it's definitely MK9

I thought MK2 was pretty harsh first time around. Kung Laos hat slice when i saw bits of bone i was like "OH WOW". I think they are all pretty brutal, its just IMO, some Fatalites suck the others are just pure exploitation cinema bliss. But to answer the question, no i think MK9 it pretty nasty compared to MKDA. All Fatalities seemed to be in same league of brutality back in the day.

With MK9 they added the new dimension of terror by putting emphasis on genital mutilation, balls first.

MK9 is the nastiest so far. > MKSM > MK2 > MKD > MKDA > MKA > MKT > MK4 > MK1 > MKvsDCU

In terms of violence.

I like both (Even if both games killed Liu Kang) I wouldnt say MKDA is gorier then MK9 but I will say that its darker then Mk9. This was really when evil started to win with the death of Liu everything kinda went down hill from there. also some of the Arcade endings were depressing.

i agree with the above statement MKDA felt far darker than MK9 i can't imagine how darker MKDA could have been if it had it's successors graphics

on a side note MKDA had the BEST fatality music of all games period. I really wished it would have been used for MK9

I think they overdid the gore in MKDA. When Shang Tsung does that one fatality were he uses magic to slam you on the floor a few times then stomp on your abdomen, there was too much gore that would come out after each slam. Too much gore on each slam made it some what unrealistic.

Deadly Alliance's fatalities were violent, yeah, but most of them were just silly looking in retrospect with all the popcorn gore and how the characters completely froze up while performing their winning poses

Deadly Alliance has by far a better and darker atmosphere than MK9 had, though, that isn't even a debate

Oh, and MK2 has the best fatality music and presentation in the series, end of story

MK9 may have had the most violent realistic fatalities and the characters have battle damage, however..

Previous games (like mk2) just felt more brutal while fighting. Everything about the atmosphere just felt more sinister too. Others can agree. If only there was a way to combine both of these....... MK10 I am looking at you.

That and I've probably just gotten older and the violence didnt have as big of an impact on me in MK9 compared to older games. But some of mk9's fatalites were cring worthy the first time I saw them I will admit.

The level of violence has pretty much the same over the years, difference lies in the available tools for Midway/NRS at the time. I thought DA to Armageddon were pretty terrible for their time though, even Resident Evil 1's gore looks more convincing in comparison....unless it was done on purpose to make the violence easier to take.

Last edited:
MK9 may have had the most violent realistic fatalities and the characters have battle damage, however..

Previous games (like mk2) just felt more brutal while fighting. Everything about the atmosphere just felt more sinister too. Others can agree. If only there was a way to combine both of these....... MK10 I am looking at you.

Completely agree. MK2 had such a dark and sinister atmosphere; I still prefer mk2's music in the new game because of this and it just gives more of a tense, violent vibe. I will say, I think mk9 is by far the most brutal (just the x-ray moves alone out do any fatality in DA) but the cartoony tone and look just take away from it. I understand they're going for tongue in cheek humor but games like twisted metal pull that off great while still having that dark vibe to it.

Completely agree. MK2 had such a dark and sinister atmosphere; I still prefer mk2's music in the new game because of this and it just gives more of a tense, violent vibe. I will say, I think mk9 is by far the most brutal (just the x-ray moves alone out do any fatality in DA) but the cartoony tone and look just take away from it. I understand they're going for tongue in cheek humor but games like twisted metal pull that off great while still having that dark vibe to it.

Mk series has always had humor in it, I just think the older games were able to pull it off better with their evil atmosphere.

Like I said before, MK9 doesn't have that raw and ominous feeling that the earlier games had, it just felt like "Save Earthrealm, kick the bad guys' asses and get the girls, too"

Honestly, it felt more like an R-rated Hollywood movie with gore and black comedy than it did MK

MK9 doesn't have that raw and ominous feeling that the earlier games had, it just felt like "Save Earthrealm, kick the bad guys' asses and get the girls, too"

Honestly, it felt more like an R-rated Hollywood movie with gore and black comedy than it did MK

I know what you mean. This new way they went with MK9 kinda reminds me of like a superhero movie.......kinda like Injustice actually.

They do seem similar the more you think about it.

If MKDA were made now it would be more violent I think. It still has the darkest atmosphere of all the MK games though I think. Still a great game still play rounds to this day