"Spirit Detective? That's a fancy title."- The Yu Yu Hakusho Thread

Metal Overlord

Since I was thoroughly robbed of my opportunity to make my own Dragonball thread, I figured why not make one for an even better anime series: Yu Yu Mother****ing Hakusho :cool:

I know that we have a thread already where we discuss a lot of anime, but that thread is just for anime in general, and since there's already a Dragonball thread, I'm pretty sure there should be no problem with me making this thread

This is probably my favorite shounen anime, even when concerning the Shounen Quadruplet of Badassery (Dragonball, Inuyasha, Rurouni Kenshin and YYH, of course), and definitely in my top 5 favorite animes ever

Feel free to discuss the anime and what you liked and didn't like about it, the manga, the movies, the OVAs, the music, etc.

I'll start off with a few of my favorite characters, in no particular order except for Kurama being first (I'll come back and edit the OP with more when I have time, but for now I'll just start with these two):

Kurama (left)/Yoko Kurama (right)

2613264kurama.jpg

I've always been of the belief that you don't have to be an antihero to be badass, and in my opinion, Kurama proves this in spades. Kurama has always been my favorite. He has a very strong devotion and care for his family and friends, and he has a strong sense of honor, as exemplified by his alliance to Yusuke for the latter's kind actions towards him. He is well-mannered and polite, being on good terms with the rest of the main characters, especially Hiei, who was at one point, and still is, his partner-in-crime and closest friend.

As a expert analyst and tactician, Kurama has a very calm, calculating and analytical personality in addition to having a vast amount of knowledge about many aspects and events of the series; these type of characters are always usually my favorites. He also possess cunning to a greater degree, typical to that of a fox. He is also able to fight without his emotions influencing him completely, making him somewhat of a foil to the main protagonist, Yusuke's, more brash and impulsive tendencies to pick a fight with someone he doesn't like. With all this, in addition to his extreme amount of durability in battle despite his frail appearance and reliance on tactics and strategy, his natural instincts in combat, and his perceptiveness make him a very valuable asset to Yusuke and the others and my absolute.

In his demon form, I must add, he does become more cruel and ruthless, having a tendency to enjoy toying with his opponents sadistically yet still retaining his intellectual capabilities. Because of this, in my opinion, this makes Yoko Kurama even more entertaining to watch, and I like him even more than I do Shuichi Minamino (though I love them both).

In a lot of ways, Kurama's demon form reminds me of Inuyasha (even though the latter actually came afterwards lololololo) because of his love of his human mother, his ears, and him being half-demon. His human form reminds me of Kenshin, because of his appearance (red hair, slightly androgynous appearance, delicate features, hell, at one point in the series, he even gets a cross-shaped scar on his face), both have a well-mannered, calm and friendly disposition, and their change in personality and even voice when they become Yoko and the Manslayer, respectively. Both of those two are some of my most loved fictional characters in not only anime, but overall, so consider it a pretty big compliment that I'm comparing them to Kurama

Shizuru Kuwabara

shizuru2.jpeg

Shizuru is anything, and I mean, anything but your typical anime girl. She isn't overly sexualized or even sexualized in the slightest really. She isn't even one of your typical anime girls that are generally nice but extremely hot-tempered (usually when one of the male characters grope them or slightly insult them in some way). She's for the most part... a normal woman. This is what I love about her, she just isn't like any of the big-breasted magical girls, moes, or any of the other typical kind of girls that you see in a lot of anime. She just has this sort of relatability about her that makes me gravitate towards her the most out of all of the Yu Yu Hakusho women.

Although she is very protective of her little brother and strongwilled, Shizuru is mostly calm and nonchalant, in addition to having somewhat of a cynical and apathetic personality, which is what I like about her the most. She is genuinely fun to watch; I find her to be perhaps the funniest character of the entire series other than her brother (it's usually just his voice that makes me laugh so hard, he basically sounds like a dumber version of Vegeta). She has a lot of memorable quotes that are actually pretty accurate (at one point, IIRC, she calls another main character, Botan, a freak, and yes, I'm talking about that kind of freak), and her tough love attitude towards her little brother definitely serves as some great comic relief. The site TVTropes calls her a "Deadpan Snarker", and trust me, they aren't bullshitting when they say that. I love sarcasm, and Shizuru is pretty damn sarcastic at times.

That classic "I don't give a shit" vibe that she usually gives off coupled with her almost always having a cigarette in her mouth definitely makes her one of my favorite characters of the series.

Like I said, I'll edit the OP with more when I have time

Last edited:
Everything about YYH is better than DBZ, in all honesty

Better fights, better dub, not as repetitive, funnier, better villains, better plot, MUCH better ending, more fleshed out universe, better developed characters, to name a few