How Have Your Musical Tastes Changed Over The Years?

Toxic

We all have our favourite genres of music. Sounds we prefer to grace our ears with when presented with all available options. But I don't think anyone as ever retained the same taste their entire lives. So that brings us to the question... How have your musical tastes changed over the years?

When I was just a young child, I myself listened to nothing but classical music. Not necessarily because I liked it, but because it was the only music available. However, it would not be long before I developed a fascination with the sound of electric guitar, and would set off in pursuit of the magic of classic rock. That phase, however, would be as short lived as the first. Time moved on, and I was still searching for a heavier sound. I found that, or so I believed, in thrash metal, the rapid fire riffs of such bands as Megadeth and Metallica providing my latest musical fix. I remained like this for a while, until eventually, I discovered the musical ingenuity that could be found in none other than, progressive rock, a fascination which I hold to this day. At the same time, I would develop an interest in both the incredible sound of jazz, and the harsh, visceral, notes of heavier forms of metal, such as 'death,' 'black,' and 'power.'

...And that's where I stand today.

What's your story?

I dont know really, i think in my teens i was more one genre orientated. Now im older i appreciate any music as long as it stirs some kind of emotion in me, mostly humour to be honest. Most music i like i see the funny side of it. I cant take metal seriously anymore, but that has increased my enjoyment of it.

As a child, I didn't listen to much music at all... then, around the age of 11 or 12 for some strange reason I started listening to pop music from the '60s... then in the latter half of the '90s I started listening to alternative music (the Buzz, for those of you in Houston)... the music I listened to then remains my favorite music of all time (on that note, props to tittiemcnuggets for posting Sneaker Pimps the other day). Since then, I've just sort of listened to whatever... I went through a minor country music phase in the early '00s, but I didn't really stick with country music. I seem to like fairly random things now. I liked Evanescence a lot when they first arrived on the scene, and still do. Katy Perry briefly captured my attention a couple years ago, as did Adele last year. Who knows what will be next for me?

When I was a kid I listened to only Rap/R&B/Reggae because that was the community I was raised up in. In never liked Reggae, but I loved Rap and New Jack Swing R&B.

Then later when I was about ten I discovered Rap-Rock/Nu-Metal(Korn, Limp Bizkit, and old Kid Rock). Than at about eleven I got into stuff like Michelle Branch and M2M which I previously thought was boring. In middle school I stopped listening to them because I was embarrassed to be caught listening to that type of stuff, and basically just listened to Rap/Nu-Metal/Pop Punk throughout then till late 2005.

That was the year that solidified my musical taste. We used to have this local radio station that had a show would only play Metal starting at midnight, and through this I found out about Lacuna Coil (who was at that time more metal). I instantly fell in love with them since I was also an Evanescence fan, and they started my interest in Metal and bands with female vocalists because I loved that sound. I also discovered KMFDM who got me into Industrial music. So those are the two bands who got me into most of what I listen to now and made me grow out of Nu-Metal and Rap.

Later I started listening to Michelle Branch again because I no longer cared what people thought about my taste, and she also got me into new artists(Marion Raven, Lily Holbrook, Charlotte Martin, Skye Sweetnam and other stuff like that). So thats basically what I listen to now Alternative/Industrial/Metal/Female Pop-Acoustic stuff.

Last edited:
From age 6-12 I listened to Rap most of the time, but when I turned 12 I played a Online PC shooter called Combat arms and I used to watch Montages and they used a shit ton of rock songs so I began to stray away from Rap and tried other genres.. I remember then day I watched a Combat arms Montage and this guy used Pendulum-Hold your color, that was the first Drum and bass song I heard and I looked for more songs of that genre and just stayed with it.

My transition to Metal Core was kinda crazy :laugh:

At first I hated Metal with a passion and I thought it was ALL satanic and shiz, so my E-friend showed me a Christan band called The Devil Wears Prada and I was shocked by how brutal they were and yet they're Christian.. Then from there and expanded to Non Christian bands and I don't regret dropping Rap at all for the genres I listen to today.

Umm back I remember listening to a lot of Mannheim Steamroller when I was about four (1989) years old, loved the Christmas albums. In 1992 I was big into White Zombie and Nirvana because of my brother. When I was 10 in 1995 I heard Mellon Collie by Smashing Pumpkins and that was a big deal to me, in 96 I was introduced to Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson. Loved Korn back then when Life Is Peachy came out .Was huge into them for years. Later started getting into more metal music. Then into heavy metal, then got into electronic. Then MSI back in 2000 when I was 15-16. Industrial ftw.

I listen to everything now. Mostly everything. I guess I only music that I like.

I used to listen to Rap as a kid (I grew up on Eminem, Hot boyz, etc...)

Then I took a road trip to a cousin's funeral in up-state VA while I was a Freshman in High School, my uncle played a Jimi Hendrix Tribute album in the car. I wasn't interested in the music at all until I heard Robert Randolph cover Purple Haze, after that I must of listened to that song at least 30 times throughout that day, I thought the sounds he made with the guitar was the coolest thing i ever heard.

And since then I've been more into Classic Rock (hendrix, zeppelin, Rush) and Some modern rock (Radiohead, Muse, Killers)

I hardly listen to rap anymore, except for Lupe and Eminem

It's crazy how 1 song can change your life

I've always listened to everything. My favourites were electronica and metal when I was a mini Kzaoo, but I listened to what my dad listened to a lot which were bands like the who & the rolling stones. When I was 14 I started listening to viking metal because the band Amon Amarth (not viking metal) intrigued me and I wanted to find some viking style stuff because I LOVED their viking theme 16 I tried out the band Cannibal Corpse, their lyrics were sick & twisted, but also f***ing hilarious to me so I tried out death and blackmetal. I don't know when I started listening to industrial & chiptune, probably when I was around 15 or so.

Umm back I remember listening to a lot of Mannheim Steamroller when I was about four (1989) years old, loved the Christmas albums. In 1992 I was big into White Zombie and Nirvana because of my brother. When I was 10 in 1995 I heard Mellon Collie by Smashing Pumpkins and that was a big deal to me, in 96 I was introduced to Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson. Loved Korn back then when Life Is Peachy came out .Was huge into them for years. Later started getting into more metal music. Then into heavy metal, then got into electronic. Then MSI back in 2000 when I was 15-16. Industrial ftw.

I listen to everything now. Mostly everything. I guess I only music that I like.

lucky you getting to live through all that at that age.

as for me. The first music I ever remember liking was through a cassete tape that belonged to my dad. The 2 songs on there that would define the type of music that I'd eventually grow to love were Gary Numan's "Cars" and A Flock of Seagull's "I Ran". I loved odd sounds of "Cars" and the mysterious aura that "I Ran" had.

Although there is a gap between this time I first heard these songs, and other music I ended up liking because of them, the point is, that I discovered a love for various types of electronic music, both soothing and harsh. This was when I was around 13. Industrial music has been a huge part of me as well. I'll admit it was also the intro song to Batman Beyond that urged me to find and listen to more of this type of music. It was Ministry and NIN that got me hooked. Also, it was bands like Alice in Chains that seemed to somehow click right with me. Although grunge music was way over before I was listening to them. (I'm only 19 you know) theres just something about them and other acts of that time that I love. AIC and Pearl Jam and Soundgarden never seemed to leave my headphones thoughout my early years of high school.

I listened to alot of metal when I was about 13 too. When I was younger I listened to alot of stuff like megadeth cause thats what some of my friends were into and I really didnt know anything else. I enjoyed them and still do, but it was Sepultura that blew me away and caused me to start listening to heavier sounding metal. Pantera too. Those 2 bands are very important to me. I went on from there as far as metal music goes.

And here I am now listening all sorts of stuff. I look back and theres nothing that I'm too embarassed about either. I feel like I was never driven to listen to things out of pure angst or trends. I mean sure theres some stuff that I dont like as much anymore, but I still respect alot of those things too.

When I was a child, my parents basically spoonfed me with everything from the Beatles and the Stones to Aerosmith and Van Halen. As I got older, I was craving something meaner and heavier than what I liked. Case in point; at age 14, my favorite band was AC/DC, but about a year and a half later, after initially ignoring them, I first heard Metallica, and I finally went out and bought Kill 'em All and Ride The Lightning at the same time with money I earned mowing the lawn. This later led to me getting into Megadeth, Slayer, Venom, Cannibal Corpse, Anthrax, Exodus, etc. I knew at 15-going-on-16 that I wanted to listen to metal, and fortunately, my dad (who also listened to metal in the 70s and 80s) knew what bands to turn me onto. I got into Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and Motorhead because of him, so in turn, I got him into Metallica (though I only like the first 4 albums), Pantera, and even Lamb of God. I like some subgenres more than others, but my favorite to this day is thrash metal.

I didn't grow up having much choice in what I listened to. I can't say my taste changed significantly over the years, it's more like I'm discovering things that I like after years of being forced to listen to stuff on the radio that I didn't care for. I was even accused of hating music, when the truth I was I didn't lean towards the stuff everyone else was listening to. Classical music and jazz are solid favorites. More recently, I started to like some metal and even overtone singing.

I actually didn't like ANY music really up until the age of 12.

I got into Techno/Trance at 12, til about 14 where I think being raised by my dad who loves rock n roll. My tastes flooded into Rock as well. Then certain songs here and there made me like the delivery of rap, but what I felt was lacking was quality.

by the age of 18, I also grew my tastes to classical, Metal. Then around age of 20, It spread to country and RnB

So I pretty much like any GENRE, I just have to like the song now.

Growing up I had always thought that black people were only supposed to listen to Rap, and only white people listened to rock. So thats all I listened to, rap. I also liked Alt. Rock, but that was my dirty little secret. Wasn't really till I got here that I saw other people's tastes in music and grew to like it too. Now I pretty much listen to anything that isn't rap, unless its underground.

I still hate that metal core, guttural metal and 'sissy' rock.

when i was young it was always rap r&b hip hop overtime though i begin getting an appreciation for all forms of music even in videogames i would rock a whole jet set radio future soundtrack if i wanted to now

lucky you getting to live through all that at that age.

The most memorable time was being in Nebraska at my Grandparents when Nirvana did the Unplugged in New York at the end of 1993. Also when he killed himself it was crazy to me because he was my hero when I was like 8 years old. Very vivid memories of that.

Growing up I had always thought that black people were only supposed to listen to Rap, and only white people listened to rock.

I strictly listen to DJ Muddbutt from now until death.

i didnt really get "into" music until i was 10 or 11. the first thing i remember getting was the mk movie soundtrack. man i thought that was awesome. i liked almost all the songs on it. it got me into fear factory and kmfdm and a few more bands. then when i was like 12 or 13 i started getting metallica, megadeth and iron maiden cds. i thought that was the coolest stuff then. then i was like 15 or 16 i got slipknot, pantera and slayer and judas priest. i kept getting into more stuff like "that range or metal bands" then in high school i started listening to stuff like cannibal corpse, deicide, cradle of filth, and dimmu borgir and emperor. by then i was no wimp when it came to music. when i get a metal album that was released nowdays i want it to sound like cannibal corpse. its like my set standard for most music i buy. if its black metal i say something like behemoth or dimmu borgir. i regret that i didnt start listening to lamb of god until ashes of the wake was released. i got that cd and was blown away. i was like wow why didnt i listen to them before? theyre one of my favorite bands now. i also got into devildriver a few years back. same situation lol. so ya id say my taste in music has changed a bit over the years.

Music has always been part of my life in some way or another. I started playing drums when I was around 5 or 6, got bored of that. Picked up the flute and violin soon after, got tired of that. Around 10 or so I started playing piano, stuck with that on and off until I was 18-19. In my early days I was exposed to a lot of rock and thrash metal as well as classical music. In my mid-teens I started paying more attention to rock and metal again though, and decided around 19-20 that I wanted to play rock music. I started playing bass and guitar then, and still play guitar today (at 26).

I've for the most part, always liked a broad variety of music, even if my daily listening habits are in general, some kind of metal. Even what kind of metal I prefer has changed over the years. I used to listen almost exclusively to proto-thrash and thrash + its derivatives (death metal, speed metal, folk metal, shred/neoclassical shred) but nowadays almost everything I listen to more often than not has a progressive bent, like progressive deathcore/djent (Periphery, The Contortionist, Veil of Maya, Born of Osiris, After the Burial, the Faceless), straight up prog rock (like Rush, Dream Theater, Ayreon, etc), or the like. Since I've almost always played an instrument at any given time, my music tastes are largely technically-challenging, listening-intense music.

Most of the music I listen to these days are like Engineering Ph.D. jokes--you have to understand the context/science of it to 'get it'. For the most part, the only people I know who really like the bands I've been into the last two or three years are musicians themselves.

My mom told me that my dad would put headphones on my moms stomach when she was pregnant with me. He'd put on Ozzy and Motley Crue and such.

When I was 5 years old, I found a bootleg concert VHS movie of Marilyn Manson called All-American Anti-Christ. It was a black plastic vhs box with Marilyn Manson inside a tv screen with a blue color to it and the letters on the cover were green. As to how I remember this, I don't know, but I do. I also remember driving around town with my dad while listening to PHM on cassette. I used to think the PHM cover was a snake. MM and NIN have been a part of my life for practically my whole life.

I was pretty much forced to listen to stuff like MM, NIN, Ministry, Korn, Nirvana and some other stuff, but MM was always my number 1 until 7th grade when I was introduced to Slipknot. I loved Slipknot back in middle school. Right before Vol.3 came out, Iowa was my shit lol. I listened to that album all day everyday. Then one day I just got out of it. Heard NIN on the radio and started getting into NIN heavily.

I was giving out the industrial genre a try when I first got into NIN, listened to some Skinny Puppy and didn't really like what I heard. I was always comparing it to NIN. I heard Ministry on Sirus radio and I thought it was pretty good. It was either Just One Fix or N.W.O.

After awhile I'd get into stuff like Lamb of God, Killswitch, All That Remains and As I Lay Dying but that phase grew dull quickly. I eventually found a decent medium of industrial and metal which was Static-X.

Now I'm more into industrial than ever before. I tear up that Skinny Puppy, Ministry, NIN, Front Line Assembly and Front 242.

Eventually, my taste will change again.

I use to be all into T-Pain, Akon, and Lil Wayne in middle school. In 7th grade, I got into Drake, Lil Wayne, and SPM. By 8th grade, I got into a spanish singer, Drake, SPM, and GANGTA MUSIK. 9th grade, I was just into Drake, Z-Ro, Ne-yo, same spanish singer, hardstyle, and SPM.

Now, I'm into Drake, Hardstyle, dubstep, house music, elctro, bachata, a little of Z-ro, and some bboy music (AKA old school hip hop).

Thank God my music taste has changed, lol.