How Have Your Musical Tastes Changed Over The Years?

It definitely changed, i loved metalcore and all that crap back in the day and hated classic death bands like Cannibal Corpse, Suffocation, Death. Used to hate on Rihanna too until i listened to her again recently, great stuff

Growing up I had always thought that black people were only supposed to listen to Rap, and only white people listened to rock. So thats all I listened to, rap. I also liked Alt. Rock, but that was my dirty little secret. Wasn't really till I got here that I saw other people's tastes in music and grew to like it too. Now I pretty much listen to anything that isn't rap, unless its underground.

I still hate that metal core, guttural metal and 'sissy' rock.

This is two years old but I'm gonna reply anyways.

I have this friend named Vinny and we've been friends since the 6th grade (though we didn't see each other for years because we went to different schools after elementary school) and he was always listening to stuff like Tupac and what not. Well one day I went over to his house and he was listening to some metal band and getting down on it. He was just sitting in front of his computer headbanging and I just watched him the whole time trying not to laugh. Once he finally heard me giggle a little bit, he bolted up from his chair and said something along the lines of "bro, don't tell my other homies. They don't know I be listening to this kinda stuff. They can't know about this."

Dead. Fluffing. Serious. Like he was ashamed to be listening to rock/metal because his friends would make fun of him for his music taste.

I remember leaving his house a few hours later and still trying to comprehend why he would want to hide his music taste. I don't give a single funk what anybody thinks of my music taste.

It's different for us. A lot of black people I know think that all Metal is "weird" and "satanic".
So it's generally frowned upon in the black community.

Which is gay and stupid, I just can't relate to a tigga talking about selling bricks out a beat up house while he's smashing broads with every STD in the book.

My tastes are slowly changing, I'm kinda leaving behind Metal core and transitioning into Post hardcore now, progressive post hard core is sooo good. [MENTION=11963]Kzaoo[/MENTION] :love:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which is gay and stupid, I just can't relate to a tigga talking about selling bricks out a beat up house while he's smashing broads with every STD in the book.

My tastes are slowly changing, I'm kinda leaving behind Metal core and transitioning into Post hardcore now, progressive post hard core is sooo good. @<u><a href="http://www.trmk.org/forums/member.php?u=11963" target="_blank">Kzaoo</a></u> :love:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mhmm, that it is. When you get used to post hardcore and then start broadening, it gets even better. A step ip from progressive post hardcore would be Mathcore, which is generally more heavy and technical... and alternative rock and stuff like that.

Listen to The Mars Volta's older stuff, man (They started to get shitty near the end of their run). There's only a little bit of post hardcore influence; they're more alternative/jazz rock.

And there's countless other bands you should listen to, too.

Any progressive at all, really. Not just post hardcore.

I really recommend progressive metal, too, Vital. Bands like Protest the Hero, Periphery and Mandroid Echostar are amazing. Nothing like all the shitty metalcore that's around (I do like Metalcore, but there is so much festering shit in the genre that I only listen to bands I know I like now, like Texas in July, This or the Apocalypse, ABR, Parkway Drive and Every Time I Die (BEST METALCORE BAND IN THE SCENE))

Lately I've been all Progressive House, the various subgenres of Electro House, such as Dutch House, Complextro, Big Room (although it's starting to get very over saturated), Trance and Trap Music. Dubstep has died down for me.

Also, I've been listening to a lot of Indie Rock/Pop and Alternative these days.

Rap is almost completely dead for me, unfortunately. Basically I'm waiting for the next Kendrick/Eminem album.

Well, I'm only into Rock.

About major and prolonged changes, I think I went from hard rock post-90's of Foo Fighters to 90's, with notable quotes on Pearl Jam and Soundgarden. Then I took a little look on the 80's, but found passion on the 70's.

Nowadays I can't stop listening to Elvis. No matter if it is the Rock n' Roll Elvis from mid 50's, or movie star Elvis from early-mid 60's, or awesome King Elvis from the whole decade of 1970's. That guy is just amazing.

I listened to rock, metal and punk mainly for most of my life but as I got older my tastes changed and I cannot stand most of that stuff anymore. The only bands I still listen to are Thin Lizzy, The Coronas, Linken Park, Rage Against The Machine, Serj Tankian, The Killers and Paramore, as for the rest of the heavy stuff I used to listen to I struggle to see what I once saw in it.

These days I listen to a lot of RnB and love to hear singers such as Alicia Keys, Adele, Emeli Sande and Christina Perri etc ones who have real power and soul in their voice and also listen to a bit of hip hop; N Dubz, Tinnie Tempah and DMX.

Apart from my personal preferences I also take an interest in whats trending in the charts but when I take a liking to something it wears out after a good few times after listening to it lol

I listened to a lot of random stuff when I was younger. When I turned 12, I started listening to classic rock. From there, it's been metal, metalcore, punk, and more classic stuff. I'm 18 now. So thanks to this post, I somehow feel old.

Well actually this thread made me remember what my life's music tastes have been.
From ages 1-9 I was in love with Destiny's Child, Britney Spears, Katy Perry, and a few more pop icons of that decade.
When I became 10, I fell in love with Korn, Linkin Park, Evanescence, and Three Days Grace, and I listened to all of them religiously until I became 14.
When I became 14, to now, I started appealing to Trina, Nicki Minaj, and other female rappers.

Nowadays my first priority in music is always Nicki Minaj and Three Days Grace. Alternative Rock and Female Rap are my 2 music tastes now. Back when I was a baby / child, I was into Pop.
Glad to have become who I am in music tastes. Music has shaped the way I move, breathe, talk, and work.
This thread really made me think of my childhood! Thank you.

I listen to Brutal Death, Melodic Death, Technical Death, Progressive Metal, Black Metal, Djent, Groove Metal, Country. That's my list of white people music. As for minority music, I love rap. Nas is my jam, Jay-Z a close second. Tupac. Crazy homie DMX. But sometimes I like to lay back and listen to some booty-clappin' music like French Montana, Juicy J, Lil' Wayne, etc. Their degrading lyrics turn me on when I go Khal Drogo on a hoe. I like Jazz as well, I like to turn it on, put on some candles, spread some rose petals on my bed and have some fun with myself when not in the company of women. That dick game strong with the right tunes. Oh, but my all-time favorite band is Steel Panther. I love listening to "Asian Hooker" when I'm on my Asa Akira mood...

Favorite Musicians:
Suffocation
At the Gates
Job for a Cowboy
Decapitated
Misery Index
At the Throne of Judgment
Cannibal Corpse
The Black Dahlia Murder
Watain
Mayhem
Inquisition
Meshuggah
Monuments
Nas
Tupac
Jay-Z
T.I.
Barry White
Johnny Cash
Ramones

Shittiest Music I've Ever Heard:
ANY Deathcore
Mars Volta
Dillinger Escape Plan
Any Dubstep
Any EDM
Any House
Any Trance/Techno

Growing up I had always thought that black people were only supposed to listen to Rap, and only white people listened to rock. So thats all I listened to, rap. I also liked Alt. Rock, but that was my dirty little secret. Wasn't really till I got here that I saw other people's tastes in music and grew to like it too. Now I pretty much listen to anything that isn't rap, unless its underground.

I still hate that metal core, guttural metal and 'sissy' rock.

hahaha I know where u coming from. im latino and even though I grew up listening to merengue,salsa and reaggeton I've always been open minded about music.
my number one choice would be hip hop but I wasn't ashame to say I like alternative or classic rock.
I told my sister yeah I like that song and she started laughing and then my gangsta a$$ brother in law said to her( hey I like rock too, when I was in highschool hiphop wasnt that popular so all we listened to was rock back then) and the look on my sisters face was priceless lol.
. I used to listen to limp bisket, poppa roach,but when I heard the ghost of you by My Chemical Romance, I thought it was the best rock song ever still is till this day.
the other day one of my shorty ,shes a white dimepiece btw lol, picks me up at work with her mom and best friend. I was sipping on some ciroc and we were smoking a blunt. all of a sudden that song champagne supernova comes on and her mom and I started singing it and they were like D what u know about that lol, and we were all trying to remember who was it by and then I guessed it, I said Oasis and they couldn't believe the spanish kid got it first. but yeah I like all music as long as its great.

Last edited:
When i was younger (around 12 - 17), used to listen a lot Marilyn Manson, U2, Lacrimosa... Suddenly (around 1 8) started listening to No Doubt, blink-182, Sublime, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Kylie Minogue, Christina Aguilera, Janelle Monáe, Amy Winehouse, Gwen Stefani solo and i'm still listening to all of that stuff. But my favorites that always have a place in my ears are No Doubt, Gwen Stefani, Kylie, U2 and Janelle Monáe.