How Have Your Musical Tastes Changed Over The Years?

Started with Hip-Hop/Rap continued with that all the way into my High School years, where I then got into various genres of Rock, which then progressed into Metal. Also started getting into Electronic music at that time.

End of High School I dropped Rock and Metal, kept Rap and was getting more into Electronic music, House to be more specific.

Now going into my third year of University, Rap is slowly fading and my love for Electronic music is the strongest it's ever been. I listen to all genres of house, all genres of dubstep and Drum N Bass.

Hip hop and R&B/soul/contemporary R&B is what I've always mainly listened to, from childhood to today.

My tastes in hip hop have changed a lot of the years, though. At first, I only listened to mainstream hip hop, but then I grew to love underground hip hop when I was around 9 or 10 courtesy of the Tony Hawk games, and then I couldn't really listen to mainstream hip hop anymore. Then I grew to love and appreciate old school hip hop around middle school, and now I would say my favorite subgenres of hip hop are jazz hop (mostly instrumentals), and conscious hip hop. My favorite R&B subgenres would have to be neo-soul and new jack swing.

As for other genres, I like rock but I don't actively search for rock songs, I just listen to them if they're apart of the soundtrack of a game I like and whatnot. Speaking of which, in middle school, I also started to listen to video game/movie/anime OSTs. I like some electronica now as well.

Now, in all honesty, I feel like I'm pretty open when it comes to music. I don't really think that there's a genre I really dislike, if I like a song, then I like it. It doesn't matter if it's hip hop, rock, country, pop, etc.

I started listening to video game OSTs in high school.

I listen and love a lot of mainstream music too. I hate people that hate mainstream music, just because it's mainstream.

Get a life.

I don't dislike Mainstream music because it's mainstream. I hate it because there's nothing impressive about stating the same thing in every single song.

Most of the bands I listen to vary it up in their songs and nothing sounds repetitive, and the same goes for the Chill step Artists.

Oh, I used to not care for Michael Jackson's music much at all, but now I absolutely love him, he's in my top 10 favorite artists of all time:

I don't dislike Mainstream music because it's mainstream. I hate it because there's nothing impressive about stating the same thing in every single song.

Most of the bands I listen to vary it up in their songs and nothing sounds repetitive, and the same goes for the Chill step Artists.

I agree with the statement above.

Anywho...

I've pretty much always liked the same music. There was once a time that I liked all of the bullshit nu-metal on the radio. Until...

I picked up the hair straightener, put on the skinny jeans and got my crabcore on. It all shifted from Rammstein to The Devil Wears Prada, Slipknot to Enter Shikari. All that jazz.

When I was done being a scene kid. I started listening to groove metal such as Chimaria and Machine Head.

Then I got into punk for a short while.

Then I got into trip-hop and electronic music.

Then back into metal.

Now I stand with...

Progessive metal and Djent. Such as: Meshuggah, Born of Osiris, Veil of Maya, Vildhjarta and TesseracT.

P.S.

Progressive Metal is the current pinnacle of musical talent. Just saying. It's the best. Ever.

lol

When I listen to the radio, there will be like a really good song that I think will never get old, but it does and I get bored of it. And the same thing will happen with another song, the cycle just keeps repeating.

as a kid I was listening to everything from Tupac to the mexican mariachi bands but now I just listen to anything as of late I've gotten into Nirvana

Lately I haven't been finding anything that I love. Back when I first discovered Rhyme Sayers rap and chillouts, I was finding gold tracks every day. But it's been pretty stale lately. So I've been looking into other genres.

Really liking Disturbed.

I used to listen to rap alot when I was young, but when I got in to the 7th grade I dropped that for rock and metal.

Now I'm in High School and I mostly listen to video game OSTs and occasionally listen to some rap and metal on the side.

I now listen to a lot of up beat club music and some Latin music because that's what they mostly play in the club. I still do listen to the mainstream music though and the other music I listened too before.

I used to HATE rap.
Now I love it. :p
TEAM MINAJ

Second to that!!! She may have some bad songs like "Stupid Hoe" but songs like "Fly", "Pound the Alarm", and "Turn Me On" really makes me like her a lot.

Rihanna, Katy Perry, and P!nk are also people to look up to when listening to their music.

once a metalhead, always a metalhead, it all started with Ozzy Osbourne when i was 13, it was hard being a 90's kid then though

I'll do this properly this time.

I grew up listening to what my dad listened to. This was basically the Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Hendrix, stuff like that.
Then, I started delving into punk music when I was around 7 or so? I'm not quite sure, all I know was that it was fueled by the Tony Hawk Pro Skater games and I started listening to stuff like Blink 182, Green day (whatever was on TV). My music tastes pretty much stayed the same until I was about 12. Then I started listening to Post Hardcore, emo and indie. Dashboard Confessional, Finch, Hawthorne Heights, Sunny Day Real Estate, stuff like that. I'm not entirely sure why, but I haven't regretted it.

At around the same time, I got into metal. I started by listening to thrash metal: Slayer, Testament, Anthrax and stuff like that. I eventually came across Amon Amarth 2 years later and even though they were Melodic Death, they got me into Viking Metal at the time.

I think a friend got me into black metal when I was 16. I think I liked 1349, Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth the most.

Throughout this period, I was still listening to post hardcore and other core music.

It might have been 2 years ago or something like that, but somebody on this site (Spinerippingfun if I recall correctly) recommended a few bands to me. Suicide Commando, Hocico and stuff like that. That really got me into EBM music.

There's a lot of genres I missed like Industrial metal, Chiptunes, Drum and Bass but I can't remember how or when I started listening to that. I don't think I've ever stopped listening to a genre except for pop-punk, so it's hard to keep up with all the stuff I listen to.

I use to be in to metal. As I mature I got more in to grung, punk, underground, alternative and also gangster rap. Eventually, in high school I opened my ear to electronic sorts of music. Anymore, I'm kinda bored that nothing game changing has really happened in the music scenes.

I started listening to video game OSTs in high school.

I listen and love a lot of mainstream music too. I hate people that hate mainstream music, just because it's mainstream.

Get a life.

I hate that mainstream music is mainstream and I very much hate it.

Life acquired.