Modern Rap.

J.cole is my favorite rapper and has been for a couple of years since his mixtape the warm up now with born sinner out it just reinforces why this guy is awesome

Meh, Kinda gave up on trying Hip Hop again. I don't even listen to Kendrick like I used to because of the fact that he's collabin' with the other mainstream phags.

Dubstep and modern rap are plaguing this world. Modern rap often has questionable and inappropriate subject matters about drugs and sex. And dubstep just sounds like complete and utter crap.

Dubstep and modern rap are plaguing this world. Modern rap often has questionable and inappropriate subject matters about drugs and sex. And dubstep just sounds like complete and utter crap.

Questionable and Inappropriate subject matter about drugs and sex? No offense dude, are you 5 years old?

While I agree with you about how modern rap is plaguing this world, it's not because of the references to drugs and sex, since the Golden Age when Rap was actually good (anytime before the mid 00's IMO) also discussed that subject matter, its the desperate direction Rap is going in to stay relevant as it used to be in the Golden Age.

Rap is probably the most annoying genre out there right now because the songs are just about utter garbage. No song has a consistent theme to it these days, its basically a bunch of freestyles with "clever" metaphors and similes, screaming into the mic claiming "they go hard". That and it's being taken over by rappers who were previously Correction Officers and Child TV Stars, and they're rapping about drug use, gangs, violence, sex, etc. so how do you take that shit seriously?

As for Dubstep, I don't see how that relates to "ruining" the world. It had its short lived run with Skrillex and now it's basically gone. Dubstep was made for the EDM scene, which it is now returning to as opposed to the mainstream.

Mainstream rap hasn't ruined anything. It's great party/club/celebration music, always has been. The simple minded idiots who take everything their favorite rapper says as a way of life ruined music.

If you don't like sex, drugs, alcohol, or naked women, nobody is forcing you to listen to it or watch the videos. What kind of fool listens to something they don't like?

Mainstream rap hasn't ruined anything. It's great party/club/celebration music, always has been. The simple minded idiots who take everything their favorite rapper says as a way of life ruined music.

If you don't like sex, drugs, alcohol, or naked women, nobody is forcing you to listen to it or watch the videos. What kind of fool listens to something they don't like?

funny thing is rap wasnt always about sex unlike today. and nothing personal but i really dont think you understand what real hiphop is

pfft real rap/hiphop died around 2004ish

Hip Hop never died, it just moved.
What you hear on the radio nowadays is black dudes singing Pop music.

The simple minded idiots who take everything their favorite rapper says as a way of life ruined music.?

Nah baby, Rappers ruined hip hop. When it shifted from 'I want to do this to be the best there is and show my struggle' to 'I want to make money easy' the whole game changed. An artist, hip hop or otherwise, without passion for what they do is just a shame in my mind.

funny thing is rap wasnt always about sex unlike today. and nothing personal but i really dont think you understand what real hiphop is

DCP knows about the genre more than most, if not all, people here. He has a different opinion about it, but he knows what he's talking about.

Hip Hop may have not been as vulgar, but it was always about kickin it (Partying) and fly honeys & dames (bitches & hoes)

Hip Hop may have not been as vulgar, but it was always about kickin it (Partying) and fly honeys & dames (bitches & hoes)

i take it you never listened to krs-one rakim. or public enemy .

they both had a legit message behind what they were rapping about

the gangsta rap didnt start till ice t than nwa so you are looking at mid 80's and that was the westcoast who started that whole thing.

No one said anything about not liking lyrics that contain suggestive content. It's the fact that you cannot take it seriously these days due to the amount of whack ass rappers on the scene (Drake & "Rozay" are prime examples). Rap music is not just music, it's also culturally and identity linked too. How can the genre go from great music from the 80's like Public Enemy, NWA, etc. with consistent messages in their songs with actual THEMES in their songs, to the 90's where there still was a theme and somewhat meaning, to now where it's just a bunch of metaphors, similes, and randomness being spat into a mic? (worst example of a good rapper turned absolute garbage: Lil Wayne).

Lol. The fact that you used the phrase "real hip-hop" shows me YOU don't know much about the genre. I use to be just like you. ANYTHING mainstream was wack to me just because it was mainstream. I would secretly like a song but not admit it just because it was a Wayne song or a Kanye joint. Then I grew up a bit and realized that there is a time and place for everything.

UGHH is good for when you need to be uplifted, inspired, or you're just chilling with friends at a late summer night kickback smoking and drinking casually. You can't listen to a Blu joint while you're rubbing up against a chick in the club because his music just doesn't suit the atmosphere. That's when mainstream music comes in. When you're at the club or at a party dancing, do you REALLY listen to the lyrics? Or are you more concerned with possibility getting with this chick you're dancing with? I don't know about you but I could give a flying fvck what Weezy is saying, i'm just having fun with a bad chick moving to the beat.

Nah baby, Rappers ruined hip hop. When it shifted from 'I want to do this to be the best there is and show my struggle' to 'I want to make money easy' the whole game changed. An artist, hip hop or otherwise, without passion for what they do is just a shame in my mind.

See this is what most people (including myself) overlook when it comes to this topic.

Our generation is LAZY as I'm sure you've noticed. We for the most part have the most sense of entitlement when comparing us to previous generations. The reason music back then was more about passion, struggling, and overcoming that struggle is because people actually had to grind to get where they wanted. Nowadays EVERYONE *thinks* they can achieve fame by sitting on their ass shifting through their various news feeds on social media sites. You've seen them. The 15+ kids on Instagram and Twitter with over 20k followers when in reality they're nobodies. But having that number next to their name reassures them that they're "famous". And what did they have to achieve to get there? Nothing.

A lot of mainstream rappers had to overcome a lot to get to where they are. Even Drake with his "Started from the Bottom" had his obstacles to climb. I don't care that he was a child star from a middle class home. He put time and effort into this craft he had a passion for. I've seen his interviews from when he was still a teen. Dude has a make-shift studio full of notepads with TONS of lyrics. He had a HUGE library of CDs, tapes, and vinyls. He did his research, worked on his flow, and sure made the right connection with the right people. (You can watch the interview here.

The problem is kids see Drake and what he raps about and think they can achieve that same lifestyle by doing absolutely nothing. And to be honest it's kind of sad that Drake does spit some true shit on his songs and people overlook that because he has a couple club joints filled with what club joints should have - ignorant shit.

And Taj there are still plenty of mainstream artist songs with themes. Check out the song below. It's clearly a song touching on the repercussions of being famous, the struggle before achieving fame/lying to yourself as well as others, and a bit about being homesick.

(Sorry for all the Drake but he's been on heavy rotation at the moment)

tl;dr version - I'm a fan of hip-hop. From the most mainstream ignorant shit, to the most underground of the underground. I like what I like, fvck everyone and everything else.

Last edited:
Low got me wondering what happened to Xzibit, found out he actually released an album fairly recently (2012)

I haven't heard the whole album but I like this track.