State of the ONLINE community

EVOKnight

Hello. I am a big Mortal Kombat fan and love the most recent version. I have not jumped into the competitive side of the game as timing was not on my side ie commitments and such. I played it a fair bit local pick up and play against friends and such but never touched the campaign or the challenges.

Here I find myself revisiting the game a year later. I am curious about the state of the online competitive community. I am quite familiar with the PRO circuit and how close knit it can be.

I operate a competitive gaming web site called "EVO Gaming UNLIMITED"...yeah yeah...I know it sounds like I copied the EVO fighting game circuit but I really didnt.

We mainly specialize in shooting games and run a variety of events online as well as local to where I live. I am looking at braodening our line up and wanted to offer up some fighting experiences for our players.

I have tried to do this in the past and the community had a hard time seeing value in what we had to offer. To be honest I sensed they felt I was trying to muscle in on their turf or something.
Either way the desire is to offer some organized events through our brand and pull the community that wants to play online a little closer together through Organized competitive play

Our events are tracked and well run and we bring a level of polish and structure. Most of all we all have fun. We have even managed to get support from vendors in the past ie. Mad Catz

In your honest opinion do you think that my time would be well spent here or am I wasting time with a game that is no longer active?

I appreciate your advixe and opinions. You can find out about us at our official site www.evogamingunlimited.com

I could see it working but you should be over at http://testyourmight.com/ . Trmk is more of a "fanboy site" TYM is the core of the hard core online and offline communities. I think it will work there are many active members of this community.

Yeah, there are a lot of really good players online and whilst we have a few really good players on this site, this site has quite a small community, so i'll have to agree with n9 and say check out TYM and MKU.

I checked out TYM and it seemed very chaotic. Lots of tournament announcements. To clarify... we are a new site and really not looking to " interupt" the communities forward momentum with a more established Competitive venue.
I am very interested in building our own community and that includes " casual" players as well as new players and returning players. I think the hardcore community already have there preffered outlets and wouldnt find value in what we do.
I would love to start building a brand new community of players who havent yet jumped into competitive play with MK9 ( too intimiadating, complex, challenging etc..) and build from there.

We are looking at starting small and if we can gather anywhere from 4-8 players who want to get this off the ground then we will add it to our roster and start hosting events ( It will give me an excuse to dust off my copy and play it some more)

Thanks for the tips guys but I think your community would be more in line to what we had in mind.

This is a casual site, not a fanboy site lol

I'm not sure what you mean by "casual site," given that the casual players of MK that I've spoken to don't know that TRMK exists.
TRMK isn't an MK Tournament site like TYM or MKU, but I don't think it's a casual site either.

@Araknyd_Commander - I disagree a lot of people on this site play mk9 regularly. I definitely think there will be no problem getting this off the ground.

That makes sense. I'm game this sounds fun. Would you guys run a tournament or just some kind of point system? Would there be teams? Also this will be for both consoles right?

I'm not sure what you mean by "casual site," given that the casual players of MK that I've spoken to don't know that TRMK exists.
TRMK isn't an MK Tournament site like TYM or MKU, but I don't think it's a casual site either.

Casual meaning most people here who play MK9 aren't aiming to train up for tournaments or become online warriors.
Most people just come here for the non-gameplay aspects of Mortal Kombat.
TRMK is very much a casual site.

@Araknyd_Commander - I disagree a lot of people on this site play mk9 regularly. I definitely think there will be no problem getting this off the ground.

That makes sense. I'm game this sounds fun. Would you guys run a tournament or just some kind of point system? Would there be teams? Also this will be for both consoles right?

EVO Gaming UNLIMITED host tournaments. We never really liked ladders and simular systems of competitive play.
Our events are hosted by a EGU staff member meaning that players will be able to be in contact with the admin throughought the whole event ( XBL, PSN, forum chat etc..)
Everything is facilitated hands on .

Our team is front facing to the community and you never have to worry about who is running the show behind the scenes.

My initial plan was to create a " Fight Club" ongoing event every week where our newly formed community can get together and start having some " Friendly" throw downs in an effort to get to know each other.

Once we have enough regular fighters ( 4-10) we can start hosting regular tournaments.

Our events are FREE to enter and reward players with custome banners to display and or sigs to showcase their accomplishments.
We operate a blog site that acts as a media hub for the company. Players get interviews and showcase articles based on their accomplishments in our events.

I would be very excited to get a MK community going and to give it a home in our roster!

Go to our web site and click the forums and blog links to see those sites.

Ok, i'd be down for that if there were european tournaments, i'm a decent player and have an understanding of fighting games but I don't play competitively at all.

BTW Araknyd_Commander . I love the profile pic and sig!

Thanks. ;-)

BTW, do you know any good offline players in Miami, FL, or a good offline scene down here?
I've been trying for the longest time to get more competitive, but online isn't the best answer for me either.

Even with the last Freddy patch, there's still lots of lag online, not to mention places like the NetherRealm which drops inputs.

being an ONLINE site we dont discrimanate over location but I understand that we have to be aware of internet connections/hosting issues etc.

My thought is this " If you arent a competitive player come join us as we introduce you to that world along with others who are picking up the guantlet for the first time"

If you are interested in getting involved please head over to our forums and sign up. I will have a thread created to act as an unofficial gathering ground for EGU " Fight Club" players...

I signed up. PSN Mk is region blocked online so basically I was just asking if you had anyone that covered EU.

They Region Locked it? Why did they do that?!?!?!?!
Do you know if XBOX is the same situation?

If thats the case I can start assembling a seperate group of EU players. maybe a seperate section of our forums can be dedicated for that...if there are enough players out there.

They Region Locked it? Why did they do that?!?!?!?!
Do you know if XBOX is the same situation?

If thats the case I can start assembling a seperate group of EU players. maybe a seperate section of our forums can be dedicated for that...if there are enough players out there.

The netcode isn't great so they probably did that so the lag wouldn't be so bad. I'm not sure if its region blocked on xbox.

Ill look into it and see whats up. I wonder if there are an active community of EU players on these forums?

I'm a tournament player and I find this interesting. I'll check this out shortly.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Casual meaning most people here who play MK9 aren't aiming to train up for tournaments or become online warriors.
Most people just come here for the non-gameplay aspects of Mortal Kombat.
TRMK is very much a casual site.
Lol online warriors hahahaha. You get that alot in the EU due to the region lock. I understand practicing and getting good, but the level some folk take it to baffles me, especially here as there is literally no tournament scene, at all.

Not really. There might be some who don't post often but there really aren't many active EU posters here.
Thats correct, your the only person i see now from the EU. That about the region lock too, im not sure if XBOX is region locked either. Theres a bloke who does videos from Scotland called Wirrypodge on Youtube. Ive seen a few videos with Americans cast into an almighty rage while hes been playing them, hes on XBOX