IGN bashing the game already

If IGN made a glowing review, I bet there will be a lot less people being outraged. Don't get me wrong, I thought IGN's write-up was terrible but I can say the same thing about the majority of reviewers, especially fighting games. More often than not, when reviewers mention little or nothing in the way of lore or game mechanics. I can't count the number of times where a reviewer use buzzwords like "deep" to describe a game but fail to mention any specifics.

Don't forget a person who's actually decent at the game, and they're willing to learn the game Mechanics.

IGN gave a review of MK9 from a Casual player Point of view, and that kills me inside. I know that everyone who picks the game up with up their game to the highest level, but that's what makes a fighter fun IMO.

Most of reviews of fighting games have been from a casual point of view. This is not just, IGN but across the board. I agree that there should be more knowledgeable people to review fighting games, but unfortunately they seem to be far few in between.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I thought IGN's write-up was terrible but I can say the same thing about the majority of reviewers, especially fighting games. More often than not, when reviewers mention little or nothing in the way of lore or game mechanics. I can't count the number of times where a reviewer use buzzwords like "deep" to describe a game but fail to mention any specifics.

Don't forget a person who's actually decent at the game, and they're willing to learn the game Mechanics.

IGN gave a review of MK9 from a Casual player Point of view, and that kills me inside. I know that everyone who picks the game up with up their game to the highest level, but that's what makes a fighter fun IMO.

That's exactly my point.
I'd like to see reviewers, in general (not only on IGN), talk about more fighting mechanic things like frame count and negative edge.
All the game sites are so wrapped up in "OOH GEARZ OF WAR AND MW3 IZ DA BEST," that when they finally do get someone who reviews a fighting game, they look like complete buffoons.

FV said:
Truth be told, I'm not that hyped about the trailer. I'm not particularly attached to DC, so I'm not going to appreciate it the same way like a DC fan would. However, as fighting game fan, I'll wait for new information or media for any interesting developments.

I love the Dc characters. :)

I hate the preconceived notion that Nrs automatically has to be a Mortal kombat only studio that some people have. It would be like saying Kojima can only make MGS games. If they want to get away from MK and diversify let them, But don't toss it to the waste side just because it looks different "IGN".

I also find it funny that IGN has never down played a fps and always rates MW and BF highly but degrades a game or development company when they choose to devate from the norm. I wonder if Capcom completely re-did SF with an entirely new cast an story, would IGN praise them for trying something new or attack them because it's different?

That's exactly my point.
I'd like to see reviewers, in general (not only on IGN), talk about more fighting mechanic things like frame count and negative edge.
All the game sites are so wrapped up in "OOH GEARZ OF WAR AND MW3 IZ DA BEST," that when they finally do get someone who reviews a fighting game, they look like complete buffoons.

Well you got to understand that some mechanics that make a game deep aren't readily notice-able until the metagame evolves. I don't think NRS made chip damage high in an attempt to make the game faster paced.

That IMO is an accident, but a good one IMO.

Fighting games are hard to review day1. Unless it's a re-hash or update.

Well you got to understand that some mechanics that make a game deep aren't readily notice-able until the metagame evolves. I don't think NRS made chip damage high in an attempt to make the game faster paced.

So in other words, Treat a fighting game review like a Tier list.

Point taken. ;-)
That's another reason why I don't like it when these places rate a fighting game.
In order to properly rate a fighter, you have to spend some time with it.

lots of these gaming websites get the game 2 days before, to write up a review, and it's based off of a casual player's point of view.

So in other words, Treat a fighting game review like a Tier list.

YES!!!!

Not buying.I don't think it will do that great.Maybe They should add the invincible Kung Lao as a character then everyone will pick the game up.

If IGN made a glowing review, I bet there will be a lot less people being outraged. Don't get me wrong, I thought IGN's write-up was terrible but I can say the same thing about the majority of reviewers, especially fighting games. More often than not, when reviewers mention little or nothing in the way of lore or game mechanics. I can't count the number of times where a reviewer use buzzwords like "deep" to describe a game but fail to mention any specifics.

Some MK fans couldnt handle the criticism of the review, but I think you're blowing it out of proportion as that being the reason for the lack of respect MK fans give them. I mean sure they gave MK9 a score of 8, I personally wouldnt give it anything higher than an 9 at all. Its a flawed game and everyone, even MK fans should accept that. However it's just IGN's overall clueless attitude toward the series that MK fans can easily pick up on. Or at least that's how I see it.

Not to mention how in the article they are stupidly bashing Injustice for not being as violent as MK. Which leads me further to believe that the only thing IGN ever saw in MK9 was just the violence, fatalities, and x-rays and not the gameplay. As an MK fan I can spot these types of people who only play this game for the violence and or Kratos, and IGN just seem like those type of people.

The studio sucks at 3d.. of course it will suck. The graphics aren't even impressive.

This is exactly why the FGC thinks that Mortal Kombat fans are a bunch of braindead idiots.
Because people like you whine about graphics in a fighting game.

Go jerk your gerk to Crysis 3 and leave the fighting games to people who know that they're meant to be played and not stared at.

"Although this isn't a Mortal Kombat game, it seems to me like it's going to leave people in the exact same spot. This is a T-rated fighter that looks a lot like Mortal Kombat, but it's lacking the brutality that makes that game standout."

completly agree.
they should be doing the next mk. if this is going to be a 2013 release, then that means there prolly wont be another mk game til 2014-15 which sucks balls. bc i dont picture nrs doing 2 titles at once.

i dont see why trmk is even posting the news for this game. its trmk not trdc.
yea nrs is working on it, but has nothing at all to do with mk.

just wanna stay on wb's sack i guess

For one NRS is a game developing studio.
They're not solely a Mortal Kombat game developing studio.
Ed Boon said around the time that MK9 dropped that he didn't want to only work on MK games, he wanted to explore other options with his team and perhaps even create new IP's. Its something new, something fresh. Nobody wants MK10 this soon, its going to have roughly the exact same gameplay as MK9. Also if MK10 comes out in 2014-5, then theres a strong chance it'll be on the next gen consoles. Allowing for a much more quality game.

However it's just IGN's overall clueless attitude toward the series that MK fans can easily pick up on. Or at least that's how I see it.

Not to mention how in the article they are stupidly bashing Injustice for not being as violent as MK. Which leads me further to believe that the only thing IGN ever saw in MK9 was just the violence, fatalities, and x-rays and not the gameplay. As an MK fan I can spot these types of people who only play this game for the violence and or Kratos, and IGN just seem like those type of people.

Exactly my point.
They seem utterly clueless towards the series, as a whole.

Sky Valley said:
As an MK fan I can spot these types of people who only play this game for the violence and or Kratos, and IGN just seem like those type of people.

Hey Now, I bought MK for Kratos but that don't mean I'm only here for him.
I've picked kratos apart and said what was wrong with him. Nrs's attempt left me wanting more I can say with a certainty Nrs f'ed up a few things on him. ;) I'm not well versed with specifics like hit boxes and things but kratos I know and they messed up.

You play MK on a regular basis, and didn't trade in MK yet.
It wasn't aimed at you. ;-)
I'm pretty sure what Sky was aiming at were the people who played the game for a week or 2 and haven't picked up the game since.
Or the people who play it only because it's what's hot at the moment.

Didn't Santa Monico Studios design Kratos?

I still think Kratos' parry move is cheap as hell.
Deflecting physical AND projectiles with the same command?
Thats lame. Oh well, low starters all day :laugh:

Anyway, IGN is a bunch of casual weakhearts.
Like Sky said, they treat MK like a movie instead of a fighting game.

I've picked kratos apart and said what was wrong with him. Nrs's attempt left me wanting more I can say with a certainty Nrs f'ed up a few things on him. ;) I'm not well versed with specifics like hit boxes and things but kratos I know and they messed up.

Nah dont worry I aint pointing at you.You post in the MK10 section enough and prove you know what you're talking about as far as the series goes.

bbblp said:
Didn't Santa Monico Studios design Kratos?

I still think Kratos' parry move is cheap as hell.
Deflecting physical AND projectiles with the same command?
Thats lame. Oh well, low starters all day

They assisted in how he looked and made sure he was "respected" but the damage output and speed was determined by Nrs.

Anyway, IGN is a bunch of casual weakhearts.
Like Sky said, they treat MK like a movie instead of a fighting game.

which is odd they seem so hostile toward Injustice considering how much crazy movie like stuff the game appears to have. They said themselves the game appears to be boring without he ultra violence that MK had, yet they dont like the crazy moves? Oh well.

However, despite IGN's cluelessness, there was one thing in the article that they could be right about
It all seems stiff -- like you'd tell your friend "Ooo, come over here and let me do this move!"

the part about telling a friend to come here and do a move rings a bell. It reminds me of how god awful the death traps in MK Deception and MK Armageddon were and how thats how they really only ended up being used. Yeah they looked badass but never really served as a real trap purpose and you ended up purposely doing them to eachother.

but nah, I still think they are wrong. The gameplay was stiff in the 3d Mk games and doing traps were, but MK9 did its best to not be stiff. I mean it still kinda was and thats something thats always bothered me, but its not horrible though. And if anything you'd think Injustice will learn from MK9's mistakes and play more smooth instead. And the super moves will most likely take the place of the X-rays except more flashy and will most likely be limited to once a round. I think IGN and other people have the bad taste of MK VS DC in their mouth when seeing this game, but I believe it will lean more closer to MK9 instead, like it should.

To be honest, I can kinda see this happening with Injustice:

*Superman blasts you over and over with eye lasers so you can't get near him.
Smashes you over the head fullscreen with a car.
Rinse and repeat*

Hopefully I'm wrong.

But I do remember the deathtraps being lame as hell.
Whenever you got close it became a game of who can circle the other guy the longest.
Only one I remember liking was the Falling Cliffs.

To be honest, I can kinda see this happening with Injustice:

*Superman blasts you over and over with eye lasers so you can't get near him.
Smashes you over the head fullscreen with a car.
Rinse and repeat*

Hopefully I'm wrong.

But I do remember the deathtraps being lame as hell.
Whenever you got close it became a game of who can circle the other guy the longest.
Only one I remember liking was the Falling Cliffs.

It's been said that this game won't be in 3D.
Ed Boon said that it would play more like MK9 (2D).