MK movie update/MK Legacy discussion

Re: MK movie update is apparently on the horizon

That's great! Been awhile since they announced it. Hoping to see any backstage photos.

I hope the movie comes out this year

I wonder if it will be this?

Personally I hope not. I don't mind the "Theme" in that.

But I don't want what that video stands for.

By theme I mean dark/gritty.

This is great news, studios are known to drop movie deals and stuff like that so at least this shows the movie is already in the works as they promised.

Lol, are you serious? It will come out in 2013

Dead serious. Production is only getting faster.

Personally I hope not. I don't mind the "Theme" in that.

But I don't want what that video stands for.

By theme I mean dark/gritty.

Yeah I want it dark and gritty but really I think this "realistic" view on things is the best way to make money. I would perfer it to be with realms and have not but idk how easy that is to sell now a days.

It was announced to be released sometime in 2013 from the start lol and I heard they're not gonna have that big of a budget (20-30 mill) it would make it more difficult to have the mythical themes with the realms because of this but we'll see. This director seems to know how to squeeze every penny though.

Is this movie even going to theatres? As of now I'm of the assumption that this will be a straight to dvd. I'm sorry, but unless it's an animated movie, I don't have much hope for this.

Also you're right pdg42 the budget is somewhere in that ballpark, which gives me even lower expectations. Love me some MK, don't love me some MK movies. It would take lots of money to make a live action mortal kombat movie watchable.

I thought the budget was upwards of 60 mil. The first mk movie was done with 20 mil budget And it was very successful, this guy can pull it off if thats the case but i doubt the budget will be that low with WB and New Line backing up the whole thing.

Anyone else noticed the tweets between larnell(legacy fight coleographer)and scott atkins considering to cast for the movie?

Scott is a beast and is on the expendables 2 movie as van dammes bodyguard, i hope they cast him.

Oh I'm sure WB will want this movie to be a hit especially considering the game was a huge success for them. Generally though, R rated movies dont get as high of a budget considering it will only appeal to adult audiences and not sell as much as pg13. Now I could be wrong with the budget but I read somewhere that, that was the rumor. He can pull it off if done properly but we'll see. I do hope they go the more traditional, mythical route cause it just makes so much more sense story wise.

Oh I'm sure WB will want this movie to be a hit especially considering the game was a huge success for them. Generally though, R rated movies dont get as high of a budget considering it will only appeal to adult audiences and not sell as much as pg13. Now I could be wrong with the budget but I read somewhere that, that was the rumor. He can pull it off if done properly but we'll see. I do hope they go the more traditional, mythical route cause it just makes so much more sense story wise.

The only thing the article originally said was that it was under 100 mil which means that it can still be in the 30-80 mil budget range.

Either way, since those Resident Evil films were R-rated with zombies and whatnot but still succeeds everytime(regardless of how much they suck lol) shows that this can easily succeed as well. Plus MK is one of THE MOST celebrated fighting game series' of all time.

Not to mention, Fantasy is STILL a successful genre so that would be no excuse to use the Rebirth concept. I mean WB's biggest franchise "Harry Potter" made records break at the Box office with every entry.

I dunno, 'rebirth' is what really brought all this about, it's the reason for the Legacy mini series and eventually the movie. Maybe they feel that's the way to go because of the popularity of that original short. Kind of a "Don't f*** with a good thing" type of thought process. And as many have said already, if they do have a minimal budget it's definitely more doable and honestly I'm for the 'rebirth' style.

Maybe they feel that's the way to go because of the popularity of that original short. Kind of a "Don't f*** with a good thing" type of thought process. And as many have said already, if they do have a minimal budget it's definitely more doable and honestly I'm for the 'rebirth' style.

Who said that this is what he's going for? Ya'll forget that KT was asking if Goro should be practical effects or CGI in the movie lol.

Plus the popularity of the short doesn't overshadow the intense backlash he got from fans for that and the fact that WB acknowledged this.

On the MKL featurettes and his interview in June shortly after the original short came out, KT made it clear that he has NO intention of completely ignoring the mysticism, the most "realistic" the movie will probably be is akin to the episodes 3, 6, 7, 8,and 9

Last edited:

It's slated for a 2013 release date.

The Rebirth trailer was used as a film pitch to the big studios.
It has nothing to do with the actual movie coming out.
That trailer is 2 years old.

If the movie ends up being anything like the Rebirth film pitch, I won't even bother seeing it.
Not wasting my money on a shitty SAW version of Mortal Kombat.

Well either way, thank god he's at least aiming to make it rated R lol my guess is that they'll prob show something for comicon. Hopefully we can get a teaser or even a teaser image.

I wonder if Kratos is set to appear as a guest character. lol Ooo I feel the fire coming. :laugh: