TRMK Guide - Mortal Kombat Vita FAQs

Patrick McCarron

TRMK Admin, Co-founder
Staff member
This list of FAQs is In Progress, feel free to leave questions below you want answered. I'll organize this main post and start adding them and will answer them next week once we get the game in our hands.

GENERAL

Q: What is the game's release date?
A: The game will be released on May 1st in North America and May 4th in Europe.

Q: What will the price of the game be?
A: In the US the game will be $39.99 USD at Retail stores, in Europe it'll be £29.95. There is a possibility but not confirmation of a discount if purchased on the PlayStation Network.

You can still pre-order today from Amazon with Release Date delivery.

Q: Is it only available in stores, or is it also on PlayStation Network?
A: Yes, the game should also be available for purchase over the PlayStation Network. It should become available around mid-afternoon on release day according to PlayStation Blog's Sid Shuman.

Q: How big is the game?
A: The game clocks in at about exactly 3GB. So those downloading it, expect it to take at least an hour on a fast connection due to Sony's network always being on the slow side.

Q: What special Vita only features are there?
A: This is the known list of Vita only features:
  • 150 new Bonus Challenge Tower missions including the first chance to play as Shao Kahn.
  • Touch-screen activated X-Rays and Fatalities.
  • More outfits including klassic outfits for the ninjas and alternates for the DLC characters (Skarlet, Kenshi & Rain).
  • More mini-games including Test Your Balance and Test Your Slice.
  • Augmented reality practice arena.

Q: Is a memory card required to play Mortal Kombat on the PS Vita?
A: According to a Interview by 2D-X from PAX East a memory card is not required if you buy the game in retail boxed as they managed to save room for saves and possible DLC on the game cart itself. This is a luxury not all games on the platform gives their players.

Q: What is missing from the console releases on the Vita?
A: Online is missing the King of the Hill mode as well as the lobby chat rooms. Also Kratos' "Chamber of the Flame" arena is not present. Otherwise the entire console game is here plus all the Vita only features.

Q: How do you unlock hidden stuff in the game?
A: Check our Mortal Kombat Vita Unlockables Guide for more on that.

ARENAS

Q: Does the Vita version have all the stages as the console game?
A: With the exception of the missing "Chamber of the Flame" (Kratos) arena, the Vita has all the rest of the stages from the console versions of the game along with the special Augmented Reality arena.

Q: What is the Augmented reality practice arena?
A: It's a special arena where instead of a standard arena for practice mode, it'll use a newly designed floor model along with the background of the arena being live video captured from the camera. So it's not exactly "augmented reality" but it's still a cool gimmick. Check our Mortal Kombat Vita Unlockables Guide.

Check out this video from PAX East with Mortal Kombat Senior Producer Hans Lo talks about the feature:

Q: Since the Augmented Reality Training mode uses video capture, will the feature consume battery life faster?
A: This is very likely, but hard to measure specific battery life.

CHARACTERS & UNLOCKS

Q: What do you get for completing the Bonus Challenge Tower?
A: Unlike the normal Challenge Tower, this time you unlock things as you progress the tower as well as once you complete the final mission #150 - End Game 2. Check our Mortal Kombat Vita Unlockables Guide for more on how and what you unlock in the Bonus Challenge Tower.

Q: Does the game have new characters?
A: It's possible some new guest characters make their appearance in the Vita exclusive Bonus Challenge Tower. Besides that, the rest of the talk around town just sound like rumors.

Q: I heard the bosses are playable, is this true?
A: Yes you are given the opportunity to play as Shao Kahn, Goro and Kintaro in the Vita exclusive Bonus Challenge Tower.

Q: How many new Vita-exclusive alternative costumes are there?
A: There are currently a known 16 new alternative costumes to see how to unlock them, see our Mortal Kombat Vita Unlockables Guide.

Q: Doesn't Freddy Krueger have a alternate costume? He wasn't on that list!
A: There was rumors early on he'd be included, but so far no sight of this skin has been made in the promotional videos or trophy leaks. More on this as it's discovered.

GAME PLAY

Q: What is the control scheme?
A: The game uses standard control similar to that of Mortal Kombat on the PS3. The main difference is Block is the R button, Throw is L Button and to Tag out characters move the Right stick any direction.

layout.png

As far as Xray Attacks, you can then do them pressing R+L together or just tapping the on-screen Xray button[/b]

ONLINE VERSUS PLAY

Q: Does it have Online play?
A: Yes Mortal Kombat Vita has online play via WiFi. You can also setup an Ad-Hoc local WiFi network to play people nearby.

Q: Can you play over 3G?
A: Unfortunately if you have a 3G PS Vita, you can not play against other players over 3G.

IN PROGRESS QUESTIONS
This is where questions go that we can't fully answer yet, or haven't answered yet.

Q: How is Online Versus Play?

Q: What, if any, differences are in the Krypt from the console version of the game?

Q: Are the backgrounds fully animated?

Q: How do you enable the Augmented Reality arena?

Q: Can you still do the Retro stage music selection?

Q: Is there a way to do custom soundtracks on the Vita?

Q: Are Kombat Kodes available at all in the game?

Q: How are the load times?

Q: How do you do the touch screen fatalities?

Q: How does the game use the various different PS Vita hardware features?

Q: Are there any new characters in the game exclusive to the Vita?

Q: Are there any new finishing moves, like say Friendships, on the Vita?

Q: Can you download and play MK for Vita on your PS3?

Q: What about Kombat Kodes? Did they make it over?

Q: We've heard some combo damages and other gameplay elements were tweaked on the Vita. Is this true?

Last edited:
I'm waiting for the game's release so people who get it can tell me how good Augmented Reality is.

Cause it just seems like something you can really get creative with even though it's only in practice mode which really stinks.

Answered some questions, be sure to reply to this thread with your own questions and we'll get them answered when we can next week!

So... is this all the exclusive content? Or can we expect any surprises when the game releases?

The majority of the exclusive content has been revealed, but I'm sure there may be a surprise or two instore for fans when they play it.

The majority of the exclusive content has been revealed, but I'm sure there may be a surprise or two instore for fans when they play it.

Hope there's some secrets in store for us ... it'd be a shame if every single thing is already known. It kinda blows off one of the MK series' coolest features :O

I'm getting the game this tuesday in the morning, I'll try contributing to this thread

Lucky you. Where I live, it's holiday so no game stores will be open :S

Hope there's some secrets in store for us ... it'd be a shame if every single thing is already known. It kinda blows off one of the MK series' coolest features :O

The game is just a port of an existing game to the Vita, but they added 150 challenges which may hold quite a few secrets.

I'm hoping that the new 150 challenges will have some humorous ones like the one where it was Shang vs Kahn fighting over a baby :laugh:

The game is just a port of an existing game to the Vita, but they added 150 challenges which may hold quite a few secrets.

Yeah, and personally, I'm ultra-grateful for that. Still, I'm hoping for not-yet-known extras, such as playable bosses outside the challenge tower or something (although that's just wishful thinking). I remember the PSP version of Deception having extra playable characters though.

Yeah, and personally, I'm ultra-grateful for that. Still, I'm hoping for not-yet-known extras, such as playable bosses outside the challenge tower or something (although that's just wishful thinking). I remember the PSP version of Deception having extra playable characters though.

While I think it's possible they may allow that, it was possible on the console MK9 as well but was never done. (I hacked the game to play as them in the Ladder and Versus on one of my consoles).

I really think they want to avoid those things being done online because of balance. This game is being sold as a "portable" MK9, which it is. So adding new characters to the online game which alter the game's balance and portable "training" aspect is very likely not going to happen.

Since augmented reality uses video capture, will the feature consume battery life faster from the PS Vita than practicing with a regular background?