Votes: 10 58.8%
  • No!

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Depends on the game

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters

Shirayuki Mizore

I thought about this today.

I was playing SSF4 and it was a really close match. I was Sakura and he was Dudley. He activated his ultra and I blocked it but my health was so low that the chip damage KO'ed me. I still had my ultra combo so if there was no block damage, the match would have been mine.

Do you like block damage?

I know Tekken has no block damage unlike SF and MK.

Tell me your opinion.

I have no strong feelings about it, I think 3D games can do without it while 2D games kinda need it. Also since we're on this topic, f*ck Iceman.

Last edited:
I've been beaten in MvC3 by Dante's who go X Factor and kill me with immense chip damage from his hyper.

I just get bothered by the fact that you can't do anything about it. You might as well not even block cause you know you're going to lose no matter what.

I don't like block damage, but I accept that it's there. There's probably also some strategic purpose for having it which escapes me.

I like it

If someone punches you while blocking in real life, it still hurts, but just not in the face

Mortal Kombat taught me that if people are shooting missiles and fireballs at me, all I have to do is put my arms in front of my face and I'll be fine.

Well in SSF4 it added a sort of tactical element you have to make a decision if you're gonna bait that ultra chip & punish it (not on block, with like an ex counter with juri) I made it based on somebody's playstyle.

I'm absolutely pro-block damage. Honestly, it still annoys me a bit that SF only has chip damage on specials; I much prefer the MK method.

I find block damage to be absolutely essential in a 2D fighter. 3D could survive without it, although keep in mind even Tekken has a slight counter to that since there are unblockable attacks.

I mean seriously, Shirayuki... just thinking logically, do you honestly think you should have been able to survive that just by throwing your arms up?

I like chip damage, but it really depends on the game imo.

Take MvC3 and the Ultimate version for example. You have true unblockables in that game and certain assist can lead into a devastating mix up option so taking chip from specials is cool in that game.

I think chip damage is there to stop turtling which kinda forces you to be more aggravate to your opponent. I think there are some instances where certain characters have an advantage over another because of it so I think its a necessary evil. You can't live with it or without it

I like it

If someone punches you while blocking in real life, it still hurts, but just not in the face

Realism shouldn't be much of a factor in video games, much less in one where a giant ball of fire, 2 bullets, and swords does just as much damage as a punch. Anyway I don't think there should be block damage except on specials. It's not like when you're
blocking you're invincible, there's overheads, unblockables, and low attacks.

Mortal Kombat taught me that if people are shooting missiles and fireballs at me, all I have to do is put my arms in front of my face and I'll be fine.
Street Fighter taught me that you don't even have to block at all, just walk backwards and you'll be all set.

I hate mk9 blockers... it makes me angry. if somebody blocks i do the hellfire move thing of scorpion, and spear them followed by a x-ray. just to punish them for blocking.

I find block damage to be absolutely essential in a 2D fighter. 3D could survive without it, although keep in mind even Tekken has a slight counter to that since there are unblockable attacks.

I mean seriously, Shirayuki... just thinking logically, do you honestly think you should have been able to survive that just by throwing your arms up?

So logically I can freeze people and fly in the air using a set of fans? :laugh:

It's a video game dude =P