Is any game more violent than Mortal Kombat?

Thrill Kill was supposed to be the "MK killer" as far as violence was concerned. However, when the game was nearly finished, EA bought the publisher, and when they saw this on the release schedule, they were so repulsed by the gratuitous violence that they shitcanned the game altogether, claiming that a game with this level of violence was bad for the company's image (and when EA, who has been voted Worst Company In America 2 or 3 times by The Consumerist and was unseated only by Comcast, tells you a violent game is bad for company image, you KNOW it's sick). EA never even attempted to sell the rights to the IP after that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thrill Kill or at least the Thrill Kill characters (especially Belladonna) should be bought by NRS. The Thrill Kill characters can be revenants in the Mortal Kombat storyline since after all, EVERY THRILL KILL CHARACTER is residing in Hell and Netherrealm is Hell (or like Hell) itself.

I'd want Belladonna and Tormentor to be canon characters in MK just like how Sarah Bryant and Jackie Bryant became canon characters in the Dead or Alive series.

most of mk's fatalities are either decapitations, cutting in half and blowing a hole in someone

they're boring
But isn't that what invented the ESRB in the first place?

Last edited:
I always thought that Eternal Champions had some pretty gruesome finishers. They had a lot more creative environment kills. It would have been nice to see what the series could have been like had it continued.

that was 20+ years ago.
It's still historically important. Where would the likes of GTA and Manhunt be today if it weren't for Mortal Kombat and its Fatalities? Absolutely nowhere. Mortal Kombat and its Fatalities are pioneers in violent gaming; that's a fact.

Both series also came out years after MK, when doing any of the Fatalities in MK (in 1992), were considered taboo in any game.

It's still historically important. Where would the likes of GTA and Manhunt be today if it weren't for Mortal Kombat and its Fatalities? Absolutely nowhere. Mortal Kombat and its Fatalities are pioneers in violent gaming; that's a fact.

I agree. That doesn't mean they're not boring. Unless NRS takes it to a whole new level. Remember the d'vorah's fatality? That was impressive, as they've actually created and animated assets (skull and etc) just for that fatality.

Unfortunately the majority is what I've described: either decaps, holes or slices.

I agree. That doesn't mean they're not boring. Unless NRS takes it to a whole new level. Remember the d'vorah's fatality? That was impressive, as they've actually created and animated assets (skull and etc) just for that fatality.

Unfortunately the majority is what I've described: either decaps, holes or slices.
Legacy is more important than "entertainment value". Pong is supposedly "boring", but a grand total of ZERO video games would exist today without Pong.

Legacy is more important than "entertainment value". Pong is supposedly "boring", but a grand total of ZERO video games would exist today without Pong.

Perhaps I should word this a bit better. The execution of fatalities is what's lacking, not the idea behind it.

Death Cargo is vaporware at this point. With Necrostorm's lack of transparency and lashing out in the face of criticism, it's no wonder why the project collapsed.

I always thought that Eternal Champions had some pretty gruesome finishers. They had a lot more creative environment kills. It would have been nice to see what the series could have been like had it continued.

We can thank Sega of Japan for wanting to scrap Eternal Champions 3 for Sega Saturn in favor of Virtua Fighter. SoJ swept EC3 under the rug so as to avoid EC competing with VF, which in retrospect was one of the key decisions that was the beginning of Sega making bad decisions to the point that they now exist as a third party developer.

Sega of America (specifically Michael Latham) wanted to do a third Eternal Champions game that would cap off the EC Trilogy with the first one for Genesis and the EC:Challenge from the Dark Side sequel for Sega CD.