Fishin' for some pointers with Sub if anyone can help ...

-Joh-

So finally got MK in the mail, & figure I'm gonna stick with Sub Zero as my primary, and Noob as my sencondary.

So for the last two day's, I been repeatedly clockin' Tower mode using Sub, goin' from Begginer, Easy, & I'm up to workin on Medium, until I get to Khan (guys a total dicchead). If I'm not smashin' away at Tower mode, I'm in the dojo, memorising combos & stringin' 'em together, figuring out how to mix special moves in, against a Hard AI. Can't seem to get the better of him (Kano). At best, I'm breaking even on Hard.

Basically, with Sub, I'm stuck in a sort of rut. My main combos I'm using are Ice Pick (<+x,y,x) Ice Cold (<+x,y,b) and Winter Blade (y,y,y). Mixing in ice balls, clones, slides, throws & xrays as much a possible along the way.

So, I'm pretty much gonna focus on honing my Sub-skills to the point I'm comfortable against an EXPERT AI.

Any advice would be MUCH appreciated!

- Joh

A Sub-Zero player? Hell yes :)

To get the general usage of Sub-Zero combos I recommend Youtube. Basic and advanced stuff that you can learn from the videos.

Sub is a solid character. His ice ball projectile can trade with other projectiles like Noob's shadow run, or even Sonya's ring blast. Certain projectiles do not trade like Kitana's fans, or Mileena's sais.

Certain combos can be extended while using the ice ball. For example, y,y,y can be extended to something simpler like y,y, ice ball, y,y,y or something more damaging.

One thing to keep in mind is that this projectile has a slow start-up so don't expect to catch anyone off guard with it unless they're jumping around like idiots.

Next is Sub-Zero's Ice slide. Best used to end a combo, something simple like <+X, Y, Ice slide. Or even use the Ice Ball. For example, y,y, iceball, y,y, ice slde.
It's a great wake-up move to get someone off you if they're not expecting it.

Short range it is good. Long Range is almost suicide however. Once you start the slide, it travels but gives your opponent enough time to block if he doesn't press a button. If they block, then that results into a free combo for them.

Long distance is suicide but not when it comes to certain projectiles. High projectiles like Stryker's gun or Liu Kang's high projectile fireball allows you to slide right under the attack. Mid projectiles like Kitana's Fans or Kano's knife will stop you dead in your tracks if you slide.

A thing mind for Sub is that he has a slow uppercut. So don't expect to hit people out of the air so easily with Sub-s uppercut.

Sub-Zero can both rush down and (Wrong) zone. Zone by summoning an ice clone (down+back+X). Once you have the ice clone up, keep your opponent away with ice balls. This can slow down a rush down character, a brief time to think of your next move. (Wrong)

Edit: Deadman was right one that point, I forgot the only zoning tool Sub has is the clone and ice ball (which is slow) My bad :laugh:

And hey, if they shoot projectiles at you, you could possible trade with the ice ball but it is risky. Certain characters can get around the ice clone to run your whole zoning game. Specifically teleporting characters.

On last thing, <+X, Y is an overhead, along with >+B. That means if the person is couching and blocking then those inputs will allow you to get a free combo in. That is if they don't block high at the last moment.

Hope this helps :D

Last edited:
My advice is avoid using 2,2,2. It gets blocked you get get blown up. Practice just 2,2, and only follow up once you hit confirm( which is difficult online and the dial a combo system). 2,2,4 ice clone also is a must. Just try and keep pressure while creating space. Despite what you have just been told Sub Zero cannot zone at all( sorry but the statement made about suicide keeping distance then saying he can zone contradicts to be honest). Do not try and trade projectiles as subs ice ball is one of the slowest on the game, meaning if someone throws a fire ball at the same time as you ice ball at distance chances are the opponent will havetime to block and you will be back to square one eating fireball.

If some one is zoning you i find the ex slide is an awesome move to get past this due to armor to shield you from projectiles, meaning basically if timed right should go through the opponents projectile and they wont have time to block. Always keep ice clones on screen at different distances and throw the odd ice ball. Even if they miss it still builds meter which is important.

I would check out testyourmight.com and youtube for combo videos, but dont just attack with dial a combos and expect they will hit. I find its best to chip away at your opponent mixing things up, wait for them to **** up and destroy them with a combo.

Although a solid character i must point out Sub Zero has a massive disadvantage to most characters. Slow projectiles and predictable tactics if you attempt to rush down. Play defensive, smart, build meter take your time and master combos for when the opponent is frozen. These are vital for maximum damage. I cant tell you how many times ive lost after screwing u a combo when my foe is frozen

Instead of 2,2 freeze 2,2,2

It's better to either after freeze.

Go for the unblockable mix up, Which you hold B2 while they are frozen. They will do 1 of 2 things. They will keep blocking, or they will let go of block. Letting go of block gets them out of the reset. Holding block means they will get hit by your unblockable. So why not just not block everytime? Because Subzero can charge it up, to bait you to drop block then dash cancel out of the move and start a quick string.

The other option is To 2,2 freeze

Then get close to them and do B1,2,1. This will leave them standing infront of you at a huge disadvantage. They will most of the time block leaving you a 50/50 mix up or more pressure. Or if you expect them to jump immediately, you can just 2,2 to anti air into freeze, then do a B1(whiff), 2, (wait a sec) 2,1,2 slide.

Dont spam ice clone against a good zoner like kitana, but don't just not use it either. She can outzone you, so you gotta approach her.

Approach her by dashing in and doing a D4(the move will put subzero under the fan, then dash in again repeat. That whay you aren't blocking her fan spam giving her double meter building bonus.

SUH-WEET! Good advice peeps, much appreciated. I shall indeed be returning (REGULARLY) to reference this thread in the future. SLAINTE!

Now my main competition, ATM, is in 2v2 against my room-mate; who uses Kabal/Cyber-Sub against my Sub/Noob. He's a pretty average player, but with Kabal/Cyber-Sub, he's quite adept rushing me. Especially when I've got Sub tagged in. So yeah, Subs slow, & defensive. Which is what I'm trying to adapt too, and employ effectively against rushers ... I'm only 2 days in, but I'm gettin' there.

And yes, I've been checking YouToob and TestYourMight. But before I try applying more advanced combos, I'm gonna focus on my ability to comfortably hold my own defensively against an Expert AI in the dojo before I before I focus on dominating him. But using Sub against Kano on Hard/Expert in the dojo, is easier said that done for me at the moment. Spend most of my time spinning in circles ...

Keep 'em comin' peeps :)

EDIT: PS: Having trouble with: (a) Y,Y,freeze,Y,Y,slide (b) X,X,freeze,B+X,Y,X. Can get a synchronized combo with 'em.

PPS: What does NJP and JIP mean?

Last edited:
SUH-WEET! Good advice peeps, much appreciated. I shall indeed be returning (REGULARLY) to reference this thread in the future. SLAINTE!

Now my main competition, ATM, is in 2v2 against my room-mate; who uses Kabal/Cyber-Sub against my Sub/Noob. He's a pretty average player, but with Kabal/Cyber-Sub, he's quite adept rushing me. Especially when I've got Sub tagged in. So yeah, Subs slow, & defensive. Which is what I'm trying to adapt too, and employ effectively against rushers ... I'm only 2 days in, but I'm gettin' there.

And yes, I've been checking YouToob and TestYourMight. But before I try applying more advanced combos, I'm gonna focus on my ability to comfortably hold my own defensively against an Expert AI in the dojo before I before I focus on dominating him. But using Sub against Kano on Hard/Expert in the dojo, is easier said that done for me at the moment. Spend most of my time spinning in circles ...

Keep 'em comin' peeps :)

EDIT: PS: Having trouble with: (a) Y,Y,freeze,Y,Y,slide (b) X,X,freeze,B+X,Y,X. Can get a synchronized combo with 'em.

PPS: What does NJP and JIP mean?
NJP is neutral jump punch which means you jump up and do a punch which pops your opponent up for a potential juggle, JIP is jump in punch, which is a jump punch at an angle which the moment the punch connects means you can link practically and combo or move immediately.

With your combos its more or less dial a combo unless you have incredible reflexes. Im afraid the onyl way to get a feel for combos is practice my friend. Hit practice and try them a few times you will get the feeling for the combo system in MK. Its alot more forgiving than Street Fighter lol. Subs Combos are fairly easy to pull off

Last edited:
THIS JUST IN: While playing my room-mate (Sub Zero VS Kano) his kid kicked over my xbox. MK is dead. FATALITY ... friday the 13th

Damn, what a bummer man. It has happened to me on too many occasions being in college so when I buy a new game, I pay the insurance on it to have it replaced if broken. Went through too many copies of Madden and NHL.

Update: game got fixed (took it to the video shop & got it polished for 2$). Plus I got another one on the way from china. I'm gonna install MK to the 360's hard drive now, coz' apparently a scuffed/damaged disc'll play ok off the hard drive ... or summin'. But, prevention being better that the cure & all, that kid's not getting near my xbox again, however, if he does I'll just drop a phone book on his head like Donkey Kong.

Side note: When MK got damaged, I had some friends over, who were getting well & truly sick of Sub Zero. And just I nearly clocked ladder on Hard in one sitting. So, yeah, I'm getting better, still room for improvement tho', so keep the pointers comin' peep's. Cheers!

Tom Brady is Love/hate for me.

he does some things that make me think very low of him.

But then he does things that make me super respect him.

Most vids he seems like a fun person to be around.

Was playing MK with mates the other night. Drinking beer and betting on fights (1$ per fight). Only one of my mates is any good with fight games, and he stuck with Cyber Sub and Kabal. Repeatedly spamming with Kabals Dash and Subs teleport etc. With Sub Zero, I had a %50 win/loss ratio with that partiular mate. All my other mates just chose whoever, & got their arses handed to them by Sub. When they demanded I stop using Sub, they quickly got sick Noob. I'd forgotten how much fun it is to infuriate a room full of people with MK.

I came to the following conclusion: Sub Zero is indeed a defensive character. He requires a bit more practice to use him effectively against the other more offensive characters prone to spamming. But he can hold his own. Noob's the offensive alter ego. Then again, Noob's the original Sub Zero, in a bad-ass black hoodie. And since childhood, I grew up strictly loyal to the blue ninja, it's Sub Zero (in his MK1 outfit) & Noob all the way. And they won me money, and free booze. Nuff said.

Side Note: Blood alcohol level drastically effects my gaming ability. Makes for good in-game conversation tho'.

Was playing MK with mates the other night. Drinking beer and betting on fights (1$ per fight). Only one of my mates is any good with fight games, and he stuck with Cyber Sub and Kabal. Repeatedly spamming with Kabals Dash and Subs teleport etc. With Sub Zero, I had a %50 win/loss ratio with that partiular mate. All my other mates just chose whoever, & got their arses handed to them by Sub. When they demanded I stop using Sub, they quickly got sick Noob. I'd forgotten how much fun it is to infuriate a room full of people with MK.

I came to the following conclusion: Sub Zero is indeed a defensive character. He requires a bit more practice to use him effectively against the other more offensive characters prone to spamming. But he can hold his own. Noob's the offensive alter ego. Then again, Noob's the original Sub Zero, in a bad-ass black hoodie. And since childhood, I grew up strictly loyal to the blue ninja, it's Sub Zero (in his MK1 outfit) & Noob all the way. And they won me money, and free booze. Nuff said.

Side Note: Blood alcohol level drastically effects my gaming ability. Makes for good in-game conversation tho'.

.. I'm pretty sure Noob is more keepaway orientated than sub, but I haven't been playing this game regularly since august so a lot might have changed (I play classic mk atm)

- YY,freeze,YXB,slide: pretty much my bread & butter. At 28%, it's quick & easy, & does the trick for me.
- YYB,ice clone: is my number 2.
- I use clone as much as possible because of teleporters, and to build meter.
- Slide usually only get's used if it's part of a combo. Or to get me closer, at the right time.
- Teleporters get to me more than anything. So I just lock myself in the practice dojo against Mileena, or one of the robots on Expert until I get the rhythm.

I'm gettin' there. Alot of space for improvement. But yeah ... gettin' there. Re-read this thread a more than once (bookmarked), which has helped. Keep 'em comin'.

Not gonna be content with this game until I can clock Ladder on Expert, with Sub Zero.

Update:
YY,freeze,YXB,slide = 28% (30% with a power slide)
Back+XY,freeze,YXB,slide = 31% (33% with p.slide) ... 3% better, but back+XY's a bit slower.

Is it just me, or does an extra 2% damage not seem worth the cost of a chunk of super-meter and potential x-ray? The way I'm seeing it, I'd rather wait for the x-ray. The only special's enhancement that sorta pay's off is ground freeze. Which I'm content to never use.

Last edited: