Augmented Reality Confirmed!!!

C-Sword

PAX East: Vita Augmented Reality Arena Confirmed?

Just when you thought it wasn't going to happen, early reports coming from PAX East (Penny Arcade Expo) are suggesting Augmented Reality will indeed be a feature of Mortal Kombat when it hits PlayStation Vita, May 1st!

Confusion began with the release of a high concept trailer showing Scorpion and Sub-Zero's iconic feud spilling over into every day life -- the street, library and skate park. As major sites began reporting the commercial as evidence of augmented reality in MK, Warner Brothers sprang into action, debunking the myth directly to sources. Series Director Ed Boon even went so far as to tweet very shortly after reports, "Augmented Reality feature in MK Vita? No, just a really cool promotional video."

The misreported concept is an undeniably cool use of the PlayStation Vita hardware -- and clearly Boon and the team at NetherRealm Studios thought so too, enough to include it in the game in time for May!

A PAX East review posted by 2D-X.com includes apparent confirmation of the photo-background feature, a straight forward selection in arena options. Further integration comes from the use of the devices integrated microphone, which will no doubt be of great benefit as you spear friends into submission on your daily commute, inviting everyone on the bus to, "Get over here!!."

This isn't the first time rumors have become reality in the world of Mortal Kombat. At the beginning of the week, we ran a feature story on MK's illustrious history of pranks, rumors, and fake characters, which most recently resulted in the induction of Skarlet -- red masked assassin once rumored to be in MKII, now available as DLC, or packed in as content for Vita and Komplete Edition.

The "Fight Anywhere" motto is driving the latest Vita Kombat promotion, a stylish live-action demonstration of kombat in the real world. Kitana steps into an urban environment to show off her moves in the first teaser for the campaign.

Source: MKO

**edit**

Kombat Tabloid:

We are also at PAX and can confirm the validity of this article. We have it captured on footage and will be uploading it along with the rest of the content from the show in due time.

Nice, I'm kinda hoping this feature is included in the 3DS version of Super Smash Bros. 4

But now this begs this question: why did WB and NRS deny it if it actually is true that AR is in the game? I guess maybe it really was a case of it being true at the time that there was no AR feature in the game but they thought the idea was so cool that they had to include it

I don't know if this would be such a great feature I can already imagine all the immature people making a stage out of their nether realm if you know what I mean.

That's what i think too .
g.gif

Augmented reality feature shown here

**edit**

Augmented reality feature only works in training mode :(

Last edited:
That's a really neat idea. It's like you're hold the stage in your hands. They probably only do it in practice because it wouldn't really work over a wifi connection since the camera from both PSVs would be displaying different things, and it may be too much to process.

Wait... MKII Soul Tombs stage... With f*cking PTERODACTYLS flyin' around... Kombat Tomb is in this shit?!?!! WTF, that was like my most wanted stage ever for MK9 :cry:

They only used the base and the shadows of the original Soul Tombs stage, it's not a revamped version or anything like that.