Classic Sub-Zero Fatality

white_ninja

So we all know that Classic Sub-Zero's Fatality is censored. I have some questions:

1. Why did they do that back in 1995? Was it more brutal than the other fatalities?
2. Why did they do that in the new arcade kollection? nowadays people saw everything
3. Does an uncensored version excist? Maybe somebody could make the "Spin Rip Fatality" by himself and show us how it would look like? That would be bad ass!

So we all know that Classic Sub-Zero's Fatality is censored. I have some questions:

1. Why did they do that back in 1995? Was it more brutal than the other fatalities?
2. Why did they do that in the new arcade kollection? nowadays people saw everything
3. Does an uncensored version excist? Maybe somebody could make the "Spin Rip Fatality" by himself and show us how it would look like? That would be bad ass!

Midway censored the fatality in UMK3 as a way of mocking the ESRB, which was created shortly after Sub-Zero's MK1 fatality.

1. According to MK Wiki they did it parodying the controversy that first surrounded the Fatality.
2. Because MK:AK contains classic arcade ROMs which they didn't want to change.
3. Haven't seen one.

1. According to MK Wiki they did it parodying the controversy that first surrounded the Fatality.
2. Because MK:AK contains classic arcade ROMs which they didn't want to change.
3. Haven't seen one.

I hope thats the case, i was so dissapointed i actually took my copy of MK trilogy at the time back thinking i had bough a special censored copy. My personal take on why it was censored was that it would appear(judging by other fatalities on UMK3 and Trilogy) was that it caused to many problems with character models and images they had or they were too lazy to draw a spine on paint.

I think they also did because they were lazy. They didn't have the necessary sprites to pull it off, so they put forth a half-hearted effort.

I think they also did because they were lazy. They didn't have the necessary sprites to pull it off, so they put forth a half-hearted effort.

Yeah, that. In fact, I've seen an interview with Ed where states that almost to a T. He even admitted that it was a pretty lame move on their part.

I can't say I've really heard of the "ESRB mocking" thing. That kind of sounds like BS to me, to be honest, unless that's the just the official reason they decided on after seeing how lazy it looked.

I know there was a member here several years back that had created an animated gif of an "uncensored" version of the fatality for his sig. No clue where you could find it, though.

It was obviously done to avoid making the required sprites for it. It was one of the last Fatalities added to the game and they were ready to finish the game. I don't really consider it lazy so much as efficient. The game's popularity had waned, so they needed to move on.

That's what i think too .
g.gif

ive seen it on mortal kombat trilogy when i was a little kid but when i tried it recently on the disk i had done it on so many years ago, it was too scratched to work(TRIED EVERYTHING AND DIDNT GIVE UP EASY). it is actually one of the most dissapointing things in video games for me personally, i think about it often and hate the thought of mortal kombat trilogy because i love bi-han the most and they raped him of THEE best fatality. ive done soooo much research on it, bought many different versions of the game, only seen ONE person reference mkt klassic sub zero spine rip is possible, and want to see again so bad. not trippin either my bro was there with me to witness the MORTAL KOMBAT TRILOGY SPINE RIP, it was mk3 sprites getting spined ripped we saw it. and i still long to see it and finally it was brought up on TRMK!!!

As a completely random note, when UMK3 was released on Genesis (only game I ever bought on release day) my older brother told me this Fatality was censored because of an "explicit cannibalism scene". As a naive 11 y.o. who shouldn't even be playing UMK3, I believed that for longer than anyone would recommend me admitting.

I didn't like that they did that but if you look past it you can kind of see the humor in it. I can just imagine the smirks on their faces when they designed that just mocking all of those people saying "MORTAL KOMBAT IS DESTROYING KIDS MINDS AND THEY WILL GROWING UP TO ME MURDERERS BECAUSE GAMES TOTALLY DO THAT!"

You guys are kidding me right? OMG. The fatality ISNT Censored... it makes complete sense if you think about it for one second... SubZero is ripping out the victims EYEBALLS... so thats why it goes to a black screen. No eyeballs equals no vision... thats what they were getting at. Not censored at all. As for Scorpions fatality where all the Scorpions come on screen and it turns black... that is censored! Why?.. oh fak... i have no idea. But the SubZero one in NOT censored. It just goes to black because the eyes are being ripped out.. to sort of simulate blindness.... who ever wrote the strategy guides also mislabeled the fatality... calling it the "head rip"? Oh god.... absolutely incorrect

Last edited:
I found out what exactly happens when it cuts to black. Using an emulator and the ROM of Ultimate Mortal Kombat, I discovered that once the screen cuts to black, Sub-Zero goes to his victory pose, while the victim simply stands still, in their "shocked" pose. Nothing more.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NOlxJuWfaOo

somebody please tell me they own a copy of mortal kombat trilogy for ps1 that has classic sub zero able to do spine rip! PLEASE!

but i saw it!!! did you read my previous post? my brother and i witnessed it together when i first bought mkt a long time ago, i remember being so shocked and happy because i knew it was supposed to cut to black!

please believe me doods, i swear on my balls its true. months later i tried to play it but it didnt work anymore due to it being an old ass copy. after i realized it was broke i went on a hunt to see this fatality again. i bought many copies of mkt for ps1, none of them had it, i was so confused. i searched for a good while on youtube and only came across one little piece of evidence of its existence. it was a commenter on a mk3/umk3/mkt mod video, this guy casually refers to the uncensored spine rip mod with "must be a copy of mkt" or something of that nature, it was pretty long ago now.

i have like a mental scar from this bullshit. i know i saw it, my brother remembers seeing it, but sometimes we joke about having doubt it actually happened because i tried so hard to do it again after my original copy broke. the only thing i didnt do was get one of those tools that scratches the disc clean because im broke and feel like i need a high quality one, i will one day. the subject of the "uncensored mk3/umk3/mkt spine rip" sickens me honestly. because i wanted to see it again so bad but have given up