Ranked Matchmaking

Kogia

What criteria does it give you opponents based on when you're online in ranked?

I bought the game on release, but combination of MK poor net code and where I was living having not great net speed (8mb bb) meant that I could never play online, plus no offline scene where I was meant the only time I played was against the PC or training my partner (not a natural) for some 1v1. It grew old fast and I haven't played for months. Now I've temporarily moved back to my parents and have great net speed and can finally get online.

So my rank is as low as it can go, I've only fought about 15 matches online and most where against people with 200+ online fights and pretty hardcore skills, does it not try and match noobs like me with other noobs? I know you learn more from defeat (so they say), but being steamrolled match after match is not hugely fun. I don't mind losing, but I like to feel I could have won if I'd played a bit better. I've won 2 fights this week and both were against really crappy players, the rest have just been way out of my league.

ranked just randomly puts you together it seams. others will tell you different that it is on how close you are o other players but no one really know

Both Ranked and Player just randomly match people together. The only difference is that with Ranked you automatically accept a challenge instead of being able to decline.

Just go to the beginners rooms. There you can just scroll down and pick people with bad records. They could still be good though, you never know.

Thanks, it's shame they didn't try and do some sort of selecting based on skill, most fighters do. Anyway at least I know why I was popular in the room I did join, my few fights and bad win/loss ratio must have stood out like a shining guiding light. :O)

I ****ing hate MK's matchmaking.
Fight someone who is 2439/3101 then fight 12 people who are 3/9

Yes its not fair. Escpecially for people who want good game and achievement hunters. Its a bad online experience in general. I wish it had more of a group atmosphere. I know they attempted this with KOTH but it doesnt quite work IMO

It's too laggy(usually) for me to care to deal with anyways. I usually play online with friends that I know I don't have to deal with issues with.

I got invited for a KoTH match, the guy played okay, a bit repetitive, but he won, I scored him a 6 to be nice, the next match he got beat badly by a player with clearly more advanced skills, scored him 0 and left..... I guess that's normal??

I got invited for a KoTH match, the guy played okay, a bit repetitive, but he won, I scored him a 6 to be nice, the next match he got beat badly by a player with clearly more advanced skills, scored him 0 and left..... I guess that's normal??

That's called being salty. The guy who gave him a zero is pissed because his opponent wasn't easy for him to defeat he wants to just destroy noobs all day and that guy that destroyed him clearly isn't a noob.

I get zeros all the time in KotH with strangers. Ask anyone here who's played with me in KotH with strangers. >.> They are often salty.

Honestly people that get 0's usually deserve it. I get a lot of 10's and upper scores. I use numerous characters, pull off good combos, random select, babalities, and such. Most of the time when a good player gets lots of 0's it's because they play the same one or two characters non stop.

Honestly people that get 0's usually deserve it. I get a lot of 10's and upper scores. I use numerous characters, pull off good combos, random select, babalities, and such. Most of the time when a good player gets lots of 0's it's because they play the same one or two characters non stop.

You shouldn't be getting 10's just because you can combo. You should be getting 10's for deep back to back mindgames. And you can do mindgames EVERY game that isn't the same trick as the last one. If it's GOOD players the match will be different EVERY match. If it's the same it's just 2 people spamming combos at eachother until one breaks a block. And to me THAT's boring.

So people who give zeros. The person giving zeros is just a salty player.

No two matches are the same if you're any good at the game. Therefore the "same 2 characters non-stop" shouldn't apply. It just means the person who "is getting bored watching the same 2" is either 1.) a noob and can't recognize deep gameplay. or 2.) As I said earlier the 2 players fighting really are playing very shallow like with no mix ups and just spam the same tactics hoping they continue to work.

There is a reason I can watch Professionals play the same characters OVER and OVER and enjoy them.

Also are you telling me that it's not salt when someone gives good scores to people like "me" then once he loses to me he gives me a "zero" and it's because I played the same character? No that's salt.

Last edited:
I dont care for the KOTH respect points. They really dont mean anything on how you play since people rank you down if you beat them. There really isnt usually the Mortal Kombat equivalent of food critics watching, although some tend to act like that. I am condescending here but i really think some people should get of their high horse.

The guy/girl started a thread about online ranked matchmaking and people are going of into their own world about how they get high respect scores. I am aware i mentioned KOTH but only in relation to my opinion that i wish the whole online experience had a better group atmosphere to it.

Does anyone actually care about the respect points?

I rarely play public KOTH but when I do respect points are pointless, why does it matter how other people rank your match? It would be better if they actually told you what you did wrong or right to get the win/lose. Just my opinion <_<

I rarely play public KOTH but when I do respect points are pointless, why does it matter how other people rank your match? It would be better if they actually told you what you did wrong or right to get the win/lose. Just my opinion <_<

I dont care for the KOTH respect points. They really dont mean anything on how you play since people rank you down if you beat them. There really isnt usually the Mortal Kombat equivalent of food critics watching, although some tend to act like that. I am condescending here but i really think some people should get of their high horse.

The guy/girl started a thread about online ranked matchmaking and people are going of into their own world about how they get high respect scores. I am aware i mentioned KOTH but only in relation to my opinion that i wish the whole online experience had a better group atmosphere to it.

Does anyone actually care about the respect points?

I don't think anyone here actually "cares" about the points.

But they do "mean" something small. It means the person giving you the score probably approves of you or dissapproves of you. And I'm just pointing out that if they give Zeros, They are either salty, super noob to the point they can't recognize depth infront of them. Or the match really was extremely shallow like noob just spamms shadows, scorpion spammed teleports to counter shadows THE ENTIRE MATCH.

And if they Spam 10's to everything even boring matches, they are most likely not a salty player and is more likely to be a more "respectable" player.

You shouldn't be getting 10's just because you can combo. You should be getting 10's for deep back to back mindgames. And you can do mindgames EVERY game that isn't the same trick as the last one. If it's GOOD players the match will be different EVERY match. If it's the same it's just 2 people spamming combos at eachother until one breaks a block. And to me THAT's boring.

So people who give zeros. The person giving zeros is just a salty player.

No two matches are the same if you're any good at the game. Therefore the "same 2 characters non-stop" shouldn't apply. It just means the person who "is getting bored watching the same 2" is either 1.) a noob and can't recognize deep gameplay. or 2.) As I said earlier the 2 players fighting really are playing very shallow like with no mix ups and just spam the same tactics hoping they continue to work.

There is a reason I can watch Professionals play the same characters OVER and OVER and enjoy them.

Also are you telling me that it's not salt when someone gives good scores to people like "me" then once he loses to me he gives me a "zero" and it's because I played the same character? No that's salt.

Good combos and diversity in the characters you play as get you good ratings, and most online players don't care about "deep back to back mindgames." I'm not saying what I rate for, I'm saying what most players rate for. You seem pretty "salty" for people rating you low, even though that term is insanely overused nowadays.

Good combos and diversity in the characters you play as get you good ratings, and most online players don't care about "deep back to back mindgames." I'm not saying what I rate for, I'm saying what most players rate for. You seem pretty "salty" for people rating you low, even though that term is insanely overused nowadays.

lol I don't care about ratings. Nice assumption.

I'm just pointing out I judge them as "salty" when they rate zeros.

It's an easy way for me to see they are raging, w/o having them send me a message.

ONce again. BBBLP, Tabb, FatRay, ANYONE here who plays me will tell you I'm never salty.

I've never once been upset at playing any competitive game I've ever played. Not ONCE. I may get dissappointed with myself when I miss stupid things, but I'm not "salty." I always respect other players.

I even respect them when they disrespect me. I've befriended people who send me hate messages because they were too noob to understand why I destroyed them. So I helped them understand.

Term overused? It's just a term. I could type out "man he's a sore loser" But that's 5 words vs, he's salty which is 2. It's just convenient.

If I was salty at people's scorings of me. I'd give them a zero in return right? no I just spam 10's every game every match.

That's how pointless the rating system is to me. I just give points because if they win they deserve them, and who knows how many times someone trying to get a trophy or something didn't get points they deserve?

I don't care about trophys but there are people who do. So I just spam 10's no matter what the outcome of the match is.

Last edited:
lol I don't care about ratings. Nice assumption.

I'm just pointing out I judge them as "salty" when they rate zeros.

It's an easy way for me to see they are raging, w/o having them send me a message.

ONce again. BBBLP, Tabb, FatRay, ANYONE here who plays me will tell you I'm never salty.

I've never once been upset at playing any competitive game I've ever played. Not ONCE. I may get dissappointed with myself when I miss stupid things, but I'm not "salty." I always respect other players.

I even respect them when they disrespect me. I've befriended people who send me hate messages because they were too noob to understand why I destroyed them. So I helped them understand.

Term overused? It's just a term. I could type out "man he's a sore loser" But that's 5 words vs, he's salty which is 2. It's just convenient.

If I was salty at people's scorings of me. I'd give them a zero in return right? no I just spam 10's every game every match.

That's how pointless the rating system is to me. I just give points because if they win they deserve them, and who knows how many times someone trying to get a trophy or something didn't get points they deserve?

I don't care about trophys but there are people who do. So I just spam 10's no matter what the outcome of the match is.

You're pretty salty about other players being salty and me calling you salty so I bet you like salt.