Offline and Online

I've played offline, and it is better, but online isn't worthless like people say. Offline is better for sure, but not everyone has good or decent people to play with offline. If you are messing up your special move inputs that's most likely your fault, because I don't have that problem at all when I play online.

Online is good for becoming familiar with match-ups (for the most part), that's pretty much it. Online is trash, and this is coming from someone who pretty much plays mostly online until recently. There are many things that are possible offline that aren't online, moves that are less punishable than they should be (Reptile's Dash, Raiden's Teleport). It's almost impossible to practice anti-airing depending on the character you play. I used to be one of the people that thought online wasn't as bad as people say, but it really is terrible. I believe there is only a certain level you can reach in terms of online skill before you need to go offline to up your game further.

For those who never plan to play offline competitively, then it obviously won't be as big of an issue because the differences will be negligible unless you are playing against high level players offline. Regardless, online should really just be viewed as something to pass the time and have fun with, it can't be taken seriously in a competitive sense in its current state.

The netcode is the #1 reason I've wanted a UMK9, sadly, it doesn't look like it'll happen.

The problem with lag is far bigger than not being able to land combos. It's often too hard to counter poke after a blocked d+3 which changes how pressure works. It's often too hard to anti-air which changes how footsies work. Its bad.

Not to mention things capable of reaction Offline, have to be done by "Prediction or Guess" Online.

Ermac's uppercut for example is just BARELY quick enough to punish on mid jump reaction. But online I have to pretty much just throw one out as a prediction and can't wait for the actual jump or it's already too late.

Meh, I feel like I'm the only one who's online isn't "laggy."

But anyways, I wish I knew friends who were good as heck on offline"/.

The smoothness of the moves isn't the problem, I don't "Lag" either. The game LOOKS smooth. But Lag will ALWAYS cause a timing error when it comes to "reacting".

Because by the time you see the action to react to. You should've already started it like half a second earlier to make it on time. Thus making reaction based things impossible in alot of situations.

I've just started using Skarlet in the lab. She is incredible. She is also highly technical and you need precise execution skills. Is it even worth trying to use her online?

Online sucks period, as well as all the A-S-S-H-O-L-E-S that are in the rooms who decline, pull, quit, spam, and do that annoying pending wait for like a minute to just finally press NO. The MK online community is the WORST group of gamers on the planet, with very few legit, straight and respectable players online. Online is only good if you play with people you know and if the connection is good. If not, this game is best enjoyed offline. Oh and of course, the online lag,lag,lag. F*%K this game online.

Like last night I was playing MK vs Dc and went into the main room GOTHAM CITY and there was more than 89 people in their and guess what, about 73 of them turned out to be real D-I-C-K-H-E-A-D-S. You beat them they call you *****h, they barely beat you - meaning the game was real close they have the stupid nerve to say "*****h I owned you" lol. The following players are respectable players i've come across over the years, these guys are top class gamers: YoungSilk_Champ, TylerLantern, HOOD_FRESH, MaceWind, FTR_CARTEL, Glitchfan, Emperor_Dark, FTR_FOXDIE, SCORPINITE, WC_PSYCHO, XHD_KarateChamp, Brakmoff, Check4900, NY_DISCIPLE, NOMERCYSCK1, KAKUROT_8, W-A-R-L-O-K lol.

Last edited:
Online has been good to me, not very laggy at all, but it's the ****ing people I am playing that ruin the experience more than anything. Such an awful community full of salty idiots.

Online has been good to me, not very laggy at all, but it's the ****ing people I am playing that ruin the experience more than anything. Such an awful community full of salty idiots.

offline people are great, I think forums bring out the worst in people. After participating in mk tourney that also hosted sf, I must say every single person that was participating in sf*roughly 35* were absolutely the grimiest, fattest, smelliest ****s I've seen in my life. I'm proud to say I play mk!

Pretty much all online games have an abundance of a-holes, MK is no different. I face lots of dicks on every online game. The major difference between MK and other fighting games is that MK takes far less skill and it's much easier to be a dick.

Starcraft 2, For the most part I want to say has 95% Gentlemen players.

It's the exact reverse effect you experience with fighters and FPS. It's more rare to see *******s than it is to see good sportsmanship.

Though if you don't know proper etiquette you might find some angry players.

For instance if I'm pretty much guaranteed a lost and I build buildings around to delay the inevitable. That will piss them off because you're adding an additional 8 minutes to their game that they won just to be a douche. So expect anger in response. IF you're practically guaranteed to lose you're suppose to "GG" and leave.

Interesting you mention Star Craft, Critical.

Years back I used to play another RTS game called Dawn of War. Easily one of my favourite games of all time. Like SC, it was a strategy war game, what I think of as a "thinking mans game". Even that had it's fair share of *******s. Germans were probably the best at that game, and some of the douchebaggery from them was mind blowing. Of course, UK and US players had their fair share of idiots. Funny enough, players from Russia, Indonesia, ect, were quite civil and friendly.

I just think people in the West are used to their spoilt brat society and it shows in online gaming.

FPS games hands down have the worst online communities.

And haha, yes Critical! Often if it's been a long tense game, but someone is about to lose, rather than quit, often players will do what they can survive a few minutes longer in DOW by building something elsewhere in a undiscovered part of the map. I dont think this was trolling, as it seemed to be a thing most people did (like a last stand type scenario). This happened more on big maps than smaller ones though and in team games. If you were thrashed within minutes or played singles, often you GG'd then left if you were beaten.

Starcraft 2, For the most part I want to say has 95% Gentlemen players.

I think that's because it's a PC game. I'm mostly a PC gamer, and IMO the average PC gamer is more mature than the average console gamer. I think the fact that it costs more to run PC games well helps filter out the tards/children. It could also be argued that games such as SC2 take way more skill/time investment to excel in.

I don't think it's an FPS vs RTS issue at all. I play FPS games on PC and don't notice any poor sportsmanship generally. However, I loaded up BF3 on PS3 one time to see the differences to the PC version... first guy that killed me came and corpse humped me.

...Which is exactly why I can't stand playing console games online usually. If it weren't for MK, I wouldn't be playing my PS3 at all with the exception of the hit exclusive here and there. (Twisted Metal) =/

I think that's because it's a PC game. I'm mostly a PC gamer, and IMO the average PC gamer is more mature than the average console gamer. I think the fact that it costs more to run PC games well helps filter out the tards/children. It could also be argued that games such as SC2 take way more skill/time investment to excel in.

I don't think it's an FPS vs RTS issue at all. I play FPS games on PC and don't notice any poor sportsmanship generally. However, I loaded up BF3 on PS3 one time to see the differences to the PC version... first guy that killed me came and corpse humped me.

...Which is exactly why I can't stand playing console games online usually. If it weren't for MK, I wouldn't be playing my PS3 at all with the exception of the hit exclusive here and there. (Twisted Metal) =/

You probably hold a valid point.

I played FPS on consoles mostly back in the day (I refuse to play FPS anymore). But I did play counter Strike on PC for a bit. And there definitely was a difference between PC vs Console. But I wrote that off as different game communities rather than console vs PC.

Sadly, online is STILL laggy.
Input delay also kills me, as far as combos go.

I play this game offline ALL THE TIME, but unfortunately I don't know of ANYONE here locally that loves Mortal Kombat as much as I do, for me to practice with. :-(

I wish you lived in NYC then we would be hard core MK buddies. :(

Well since you know what and where then share some NYC MK players contact info?

Just go to the Regional section of Test your might for New york City. And make a post asking to play some offline games.

Zoidberg shouldn't have to do all the work for you..

I'll be a nice guy and even link you.

http://www.testyourmight.com/forums/atlantic-north-discussion-matchmaking.17/

Find the New york thread, post.

Happy offlining.

btw Warlock I've told you New york has had a scene MONTHS ago(for offline) when you were talking about playing MKvsDC cuz Mk9 was too laggy for you.