i am new to the mortal kombat series

xse555

i got this game yesterday and love it. now on to my question. i am a person who uses noob sailbot and i cant get the hang of using him online. does anyone have any tips for me?

Noob is a zoning character, which basically means that you want to try to stay as far away from them as possible and throw some shadow clones at them. If they try to jump over them when they get close, use the upknee one.

Allow me to explain a bit of his metagame.

When you're fighting characters with good upclose game but no teleport like (Sonya, Jax, Johnny Cage, Barakka)

You're gonna want to stay away as Immortal REaver said. Full screen if possible and keep them away with your projectiles. Watch for their Meter, as Jax/JC/barakka and others have EX moves they can use to get through your projectiles easily and for free.

You don't just back to back throw shadows. you gotta mix up the timings sometimes to watch for jumps. you can use your running shadow man to knock opponents out of the air if you time it right. That way you can make them afraid to jump as well.

when it comes to EX moves sometimes when you think they might EX, you need to block at the moment you think they'll abuse their Meter. and punish accordingly.

When you're fighting characters with teleports like Scorpion/Raiden/Ermac/Rain You got to be careful about how you throw out your projectiles. You can bait their teleport which usually gives you a free combo/pressure. with these guys you want to be about mid screen distance. Close enough they can't teleport your clones on reaction, it has to be a prediction. That way you can occasionally scare them into preemptive teleports that you block for full combo damage.

Use the fear of your projectiles and your retreating, to occasionally catch your opponent off guard when you suddenly approach with a JiP or a dash in String, to build meter/chip. or possibly combo them.

@ Flying Jinko: when you post that to help people, be sure you let them know early posts are outdated and pre-patch and he may want to pay attention to more recent posts.

I mean.. there are posts on the front page of people claiming portal is a good wakeup LOL

Noob is a zoning character, which basically means that you want to try to stay as far away from them as possible and throw some shadow clones at them. If they try to jump over them when they get close, use the upknee one.
misc-jackie-chan.png

Turning him into a spammer(zoner) really?

Turning him into a spammer(zoner) really?

Are you suggesting that he should try to fight up close with Noob against Sonya and Johnny Cage? So not play to his characters strengths because otherwise that's 'spamming'?

*Silent Treatment*

The running shadow clone, and the slide. Noobish might have been the wrong word, its just a different play style that IMO doesn't take as much skill as another play style because you aren't constantly having to worry about the other players options to inflict damage.

Your main concern is keeping them away from you.

I think critical-limit is being taken the wrong way.

"Full screen if possible and keep them away with your projectiles"

This dosen't = to spanning -- it means to protect your range/ if they get too close, fire one off to force your op to retreat

"You don't just back to back throw shadows. you gotta mix up the timings sometimes to watch for jumps."

Key "You gotta mix up timing" -- spamming = relentless and sometimes thoughtless shadow attacks.

"That way you can occasionally scare them into preemptive teleports that you block for full combo damage."

MK 9 is all about inflicting the big damage combo, if you can scare an oponent to an early teleport slip up; a projectile isn't going to capitalize on this achievment.

I think critical-limit is being taken the wrong way.

"Full screen if possible and keep them away with your projectiles"

This dosen't = to spanning -- it means to protect your range/ if they get too close, fire one off to force your op to retreat

"You don't just back to back throw shadows. you gotta mix up the timings sometimes to watch for jumps."

Key "You gotta mix up timing" -- spamming = relentless and sometimes thoughtless shadow attacks.

"That way you can occasionally scare them into preemptive teleports that you block for full combo damage."

MK 9 is all about inflicting the big damage combo, if you can scare an oponent to an early teleport slip up; a projectile isn't going to capitalize on this achievment.

Its not all about the big damage combo. I've won matches without using any combos over 20% before against good players purely off of fundamentals.

Zoning takes just as much skill as rushdown, it may not seem like it at first but when you're zoning it makes sense why. When you're zoning you're pretty vulnerable to counter attacks so it takes a lot of thinking and reading your opponent to do it successfully.

EDIT: Last bit wasn't aimed at you riko.

Wow! Finally a response from you where your not being a smart ass. Bravo!

Yeah noob is a zoning character. I used to use him but not anymore. Check YouTube for tips as well

The running shadow clone, and the slide. Noobish might have been the wrong word, its just a different play style that IMO doesn't take as much skill as another play style because you aren't constantly having to worry about the other players options to inflict damage.

Your main concern is keeping them away from you.

Well, while playing keep away you have a lot more concerns than the player trying to get in.

You have to read their movement patterns, make sure you're not in the corner, correct spacing, and anticipating counters/Teleports. It's more than just blindly throwing out projectiles, cause eventually the player trying to get in will pick up on a pattern and use it to their advantage.

@Rikolaw.

You don't necessarily have to dish out your most damaging combo to win, in some situations you can only get a small percent of damage.