Mortal Kombat 10 Storymode Ideas/Discussion Thread

Flying Jinko

Although this exists in parts in my MK10 story thread, I thought of compiling it here for additional feedback and for those who do not visit the writing section. This thread can also be used for sharing all the storymode ideas anyone else has got which can be compiled and discussed here till perhaps MK10 is released. :)

As for my idea was concerned it was created jointly by Vigilante Fire Dragon and me. The concept revolves mainly around the MK9 storymode, where the story progresses through the viewpoints of various characters. Along with this we have added certain elements of the challenge tower so that the storymode is much more unique and more entertaining so that it does not feel like just 1 vs 1 or 1 vs 2 fights with cinematics in between like the Mk9's storymode. Also since we can reasonably presume that the next MK game will feature multiple massive battles (since the Netherealm will attack Outworld and Earthrealm) we thought that adding generic non playable grunts to have that epic feel of the story.

As far as the story is concerned, it is directly based on the story/plot I have written at this link below. I recommend that you read it so that you fully understand the flow of the chapters.

http://www.trmk.org/forums/showthread.php/22514-My-Future-Mortal-Kombat-Story.?p=347124#post347124

As far as the roster is concerned, these are the characters I thought would aptly fit the next MK game.

Forces of Light
Raiden
Fujin
Kai
Shujinko
Johnny Cage
Sonya
Bo Rai Cho
Kenshi
Ashrah

Forces of Outworld
Mileena
Ermac (King Jerrod)
Li Mei
Goro (playable in story mode only)
Kintaro (playable in story mode only)
Sheeva

Forces of Netherealm
Shinnok
Quan Chi
Scorpion
Noob Saibot
Motaro
Liu Kang (resurrected)
Baraka
Reiko
Kano
Jarek (non playable)
Mavado
Hsu Hao (non playable)
Reptile
Sektor
Cyrax
Rain
Tanya
Kia (non playable)
Jataaka (non playable)
Sareena (non playable)
Undead Warriors (all dead heroes of MK9, non playable)

These are the chapters we made keeping the story I had written as the basis. It is not fully complete as some more stipulations are to be added in the later chapters, but I think it will do for now.

(special thanks to Vigilante Fire Dragon for coming up with most of these matchups and stipulations, bbblp for the matchups of the final battle and YungQ94 for the tag team idea)

Chapter 1 - Sonya

Sonya vs 2 black dragon members
Sonya vs Kano
Sonya vs Mavado
Sonya vs Kenshi

Chapter 2 - Kenshi

Kenshi vs 3 black dragon members
Kenshi vs 3 red dragon members
Kenshi vs 2 Shadow priests
Kenshi vs Ermac(Stipulation:none of Kenshi's telekinetic attacks will do any damage against Ermac.)

Chapter 3 - Johnny Cage

Johnny vs 4 black dragon members
Johnny vs 4 red dragon members
(Stipulation: Johnny Cage's specials and combo ender does a 150% damage boost, but the player loses control of him for 3 seconds.)
Johnny vs Bo Rai Cho
Johnny vs 3 Seido guardsmen

Chapter 4 - Kai

Kai vs 4 Lin Kuei assasins
Kai vs 3 cyber Ninjas
Kai vs Raiden (training)
Kai vs 5 brotherhood of the shadow

Chapter 5 -Shujinko

Shujinko vs Ashrah (training)
Shujinko vs 6 netherealm oni
Shujinko vs 5 brotherhood of the shadow
Shujinko Vs Sareena, Kia and Jataaka

Chapter 6 - Ermac

Ermac (in appearance of Jerrod) vs 10 other Ermacs
Ermac vs Shadow Priests
Ermac vs Kenshi (training)
Ermac vs 10 Edenian Soldiers

Chapter 7 - Sheeva

Sheeva vs Kintaro (training)
Sheeva vs Goro (training)
Sheeva vs 2 random centaurs
(Stipulation:Sheeva's stomping specials (Jump Stomp, Ground Stomp) won't work against them.)
Sheeva vs Reiko

Chapter 8 - Ashrah

Ashrah vs 8 Netherrealm Oni
Ashrah vs Moloch and Drahmin
Ashrah vs 10 Brotherhood of The Shadow
(Stipulation for above 3: whenever Ashrah uses the Kriss against the denizens of the Netherrealm, she does double damage, but she's limited to 5 attempts with the weapon.)
Ashrah vs Noob Saibot and Quan Chi

Chapter 9 - Reiko

(Shinnok tests Reiko to see if he is indeed worthy of joining forces with him)

Reiko vs 10 Netherrealm Oni - (Stipulation: Cannot use any special moves.)
Reiko vs 10 Brotherhood of the Shadow - (Stipulation: Must defeat each enemy with Shuriken Barrage)
Reiko vs Scorpion - (Stipulation: Scorpion attack damage increases every 2 seconds and it stacks up.)
Reiko vs Noob Saibot( Stipulation: Reiko starts with only half the health bar in each round)

Chapter 10 - Fujin

Fujin vs 3 Gargoyles, 3 Netherrealm Oni and 4 Hellbeasts
Fujin vs Shinnok- (Stipulation: Survive the battle for 90 seconds while Fujin does only 40% of his normal damage.)
Fujin vs 20 Brotherhood of the Shadow and 10 Tarkatans
(Stipulation: He fights with only 40% of his health when it begins.)
Fujin and Raiden tag team vs 20 Brotherhood of the Shadow, 10 Hellbeasts, and 10 Tarkatans - (Stipulation: Attack power gets reduces every 20 seconds and it stacks unless you tag switch.)

Chapter 11 - Spectre Liu Kang

Liu Kang vs 20 Shaolin Monks
Liu Kang vs 10 Special Forces agents
Liu Kang vs 5 White Lotus Warriors
(Stipulation for above 3: Liu Kang's health deceases every 2 seconds. Attack the opponent to regain any health back.)
Liu Kang vs Raiden

Chapter 12 - Mileena

Mileena Vs Li Mei (training)
Mileena Vs 20 Tarkatans
Mileena Vs 10 Brotherhood of the Shadow
Mileena Vs Noob Saibot

Chapter 13 - Tanya

Tanya Vs 25 Edenidan soldiers
Tanya Vs 25 Outworld warriors
Tanya Vs 5 shokans
Tanya Vs Sheeva

Chapter 14 - Goro (only playable in story mode)

Goro vs 50 Tarkatans - (Stipulation: He only has 30 seconds to defeat at least 40 of them. And Goro can 1-hit kill them.)
Goro vs Baraka
Goro vs 5 Centaurs
Goro vs Reiko

Chapter 15 - Sonya and Kenshi Tag Team

Sonya and Kenshi Vs 40 Lin kuei assasins
Sonya and Kenshi Vs 20 Cyborgs
Sonya and Kenshi Vs 10 Cyborg demons
Sonya and Kenshi Vs 15 Human Dragon hybrids
Sonya and Kenshi Vs Sektor and Cyrax

Chapter 16 - Kai and Shujinko Tag Team

Kai and Shujinko Vs 40 brotherhood of the shadow
Kai and Shujinko Vs 30 brotherhood cultists
Kai and Shujinko Vs 25 Cyborg Demons
Kai and Shujinko Vs 20 human dragon hybrids
Kai and Shujinko Vs Reiko and Scorpion
Fujin Vs Raiden

Chapter 17 - Cyrax

Cyrax Vs 30 Red dragon warriors
Cyrax Vs 10 Elite red dragon warriors
Cyrax Vs 15 Human dragon hybrids
Cyrax Vs Hsu Hao
Cyrax Vs Mavado

Chapter 18 - Johnny Cage

Johnny Cage Vs 5 Elite Seidan guardsmen
Johnny Cage Vs Bo Rai Cho
Johnny Cage Vs 50 Black dragon members
Johnny Cage Vs 60 Netherealm Oni
Johnny Cage Vs 30 Brotherhood of the shadow
Johnny Cage Vs 20 Brotherhood Cultists
Johnny Cage Vs 10 hellbeasts
Johnny Cage Vs Spectre Liu Kang

Chapter 19 - Outworld Battle

Goro Vs Motaro
Noob Vs Goro
Kintaro Vs Reptile
Rain Vs Li Mei
Mileena Vs Tanya
Baraka Vs Mileena

Fujin Vs Baraka
Fujin Vs 40 Tarkatans
Fujin Vs 50 Corrupt outworld warriors
Fujin Vs 60 Netherealm Oni
Fujin Vs 65 Edenian traitors
Fujin Vs 40 brotherhood of the shadow
Fujin Vs 15 centaurs

Chapter 20 - The Final Battle

Ermac Vs Sindel and Kitana(possessed by Quan Chi)

Johnny Cage Vs 70 undead zombies (by Quan Chi)
Johnny Cage Vs Kia, Jataaka and Sareena
Johnny Cage Vs Quan Chi

Bo Rai Cho Vs Sub Zero and Nightwolf
Kenshi Vs Smoke and Stryker
Cyrax Vs Jade and Kabal
Ashrah Vs Kung Lao, Jax and Scorpion

Scorpion Vs 80 Netherealm Oni
Scorpion Vs 60 Brotherhood of the shadow
Scorpion Vs 45 Gargoyles
Scorpion Vs 20 Hellbeasts

Kai Vs Spectre Liu Kang

Fujin Vs Possesed Raiden
Spectre Liu Kang vs Possesed Raiden

Scorpion Vs Quan Chi

Shujinko Vs Hellbeasts
Shujinko Vs Hellbeast Lord

Shujinko Vs Shinnok (normal)
Shujinko Vs Shinnok (form 1)
Shujinko Vs Shinnok (form 2)
(all the above 3 using only 1 health bar)

Spectre Liu Kang Vs Shinnok (form 2)
Spectre Liu Kang Vs Shinnok (form 3)
Spectre Liu Kang Vs Shinnok (nomal)
(all the above 2 using only 75% of one health bar)

X----X

So what to you guys think of this so far? Would you enjoy playing a storymode like this, if not what other ideas would you like to be seen? Also feel free to post up your storymode ideas and what you would like to see in the story of the next game.:)

Last edited:
No Mileena chapter, I r sadz :'(

So like for example Kenshi v 3 Black dragon, would it be like a endurance match like in challenge tower?

You know I would love to play this at any cost :)
Are you guys gonna include the advantages for the characters who fight 10 or 10+ warriors?

Like Johnny Cage vs 70 zombies type of deal?

No Mileena chapter, I r sadz :'(

So like for example Kenshi v 3 Black dragon, would it be like a endurance match like in challenge tower?
Just changed chapter 12 to Mileena. I think it would fit better since she has a vital role in the story and it won't change the progession. :p

And yea, the idea is basically like an endurance match like challenge tower in over 3 rounds like a normal fight.

You know I would love to play this at any cost :)
Are you guys gonna include the advantages for the characters who fight 10 or 10+ warriors?

Like Johnny Cage vs 70 zombies type of deal?

Basically we thought of it as characters being played normally (without advantages) but the grunts are less powerful and have smaller life bars than normal characters and in some cases advantages/disadvantages can be given via stipulations to make it more challenging and fun. Also going by this concept the challenge tower could be scrapped for the next game, since I feel no one really plays it more than once. Perhaps some other mode can be added in its place.

This all just ideas mate, something I feel will be the perfect storymode for the next game.:)

Nice FJ :-D
I agree with the grunts life bars and the removal of the challenge tower

Maybe a Surivor type of game mode with an interesting mechanic behind it.
OR maybe a RPG/Action Krypt type of Game mode where you unlock stuff instead of just going to a place and buying things like normal people ;). Just an idea

oh god...
reading this just makes me want to start a story on mk 10 now!

*sigh* ah well maybe some other time but hey cool idea i would really like to play the one scene against the fallen heroes imagine the conversations that would breakout.

oh and two neat idea for arcade mode is to have Quan chi as a Sub-boss being aided by two more random undead heroes. and bring back the choose your destiny option

oh and give each character two xrays that would be sick

Oohh epic listing of the chapters... =D I have a project going on thats drawing a picture every month and I already have this months nearly finished but I would like to do one of these battles for next month (only chars from MK9) anyone want to give me an idea as to which one to draw? :)

Oohh epic listing of the chapters... =D I have a project going on thats drawing a picture every month and I already have this months nearly finished but I would like to do one of these battles for next month (only chars from MK9) anyone want to give me an idea as to which one to draw? :)
Thats great news mate, glad your projects are going well. As for battles I would like to see Scorpion Vs Quan Chi since they both MK9 characters and also since that battle would be iconic. Other options include

Sonya Vs Kano
Sonya Vs Kenshi
Mileena Vs Noob
Scorpion Vs Quan Chi
Kenshi Vs Ermac

Or any match up you are comfortable with. Hope it helps :)

Jarek....not.....playable? :cry:
Lol, personally I would like Jarek in the next game based on bbblp's ideas in this thread. Either one of the two.

http://www.trmk.org/forums/showthread.php/25263-Rebuilding-Jarek

But since he already seems to be a dommed character which majority of fans do not like, there is a strong possibility that NRS may never include him again unless he is revamped. Thats the reason I put him as unplayable, he won't take up roster space but still can be the generic bad guy we can fight against. :)

Last edited:
Thats great news mate, glad your projects are going well. As for battles I would like to see Scorpion Vs Quan Chi since they both MK9 characters and also since that battle would be iconic. Other options include

Sonya Vs Kano
Sonya Vs Kenshi
Mileena Vs Noob
Scorpion Vs Quan Chi
Kenshi Vs Ermac

Or any match up you are comfortable with. Hope it helps :)

Yeah Scorpion vs Quan Chi would be epic!! Ill use that!! =D Thanks mate =D

Earthrealm
- Raiden proposing temporary alliance with Outworld in order to stop Shinnok from taking over both realms?

- Raiden recruits warriors from all over the world to serve as Earthrealm's new protectors. Kai, Kenshi, Cyrax (Sonya reprogramming him, maybe?), Sub-Zero's full Cryomancer father to name a few (maybe middle-aged Shujinko as well?)

- Sektor becoming Grandmaster of the Lin Kuei and becoming more powerful through the Dragon Medallion, maybe allying with Shinnok?

- Frost I guess?

- Johnny Cage developing into a major hero without changing his personality much

- Sonya also having a large role in the story, maybe developing feelings for Cage (not going overboard with the romantic aspect, however, by keeping things subtle and implied)

- Fujin coming into the picture as well

- Kano using the money he made to upgrade his combat abilities/cybernetic abilities (without the whole Jax infiltrating his mind nonsense)

- If Liu Kang is still alive, he goes off on his own path to try and find a way to bring the fallen heroes back to life

Outworld
- Mileena becomes the new emperor of Outworld by default

- Shinnok and/or Quan Chi threatening to kill Mileena if she doesn't give up her throne to them?

- Some of Shao Kahn's former minions such as Rain and Reiko plot to kill Mileena and usurp the throne

- Reptile becomes good through Khameleon's or Raiden's influence (perhaps both?)

- Goro and the Shokan allying with the Forces of Light? Or at least Goro becoming the Destroyer Prince?

- Bo Rai Cho and Li Mei join up with the Forces of Light at some point in the story

- Skarlet hunts down Quan Chi in an effort to get revenge on him for getting Shao Kahn killed

- Kintaro staying evil

Edenia

- Ermac/Jerrod regains his conscience and allies with Earthrealm as a means to revive Kitana, Jade and Sindel, unmerge his home realm from Outworld and atone for his past evil deeds

- Rain finds out about his royal heritage, still plots to take over Outworld

- Tanya allies herself with Shinnok, plans to manipulate and betray him in some form

Netherrealm

- Shinnok puts his plans of total domination into motion by slaying the Elder Gods

- Noob feigns loyalty to Shinnok, allies with Havik in order to kill Shinnok and the Brotherhood of Shadow and take Netherrealm for himself

- Scorpion finds out about Quan Chi's treachery and hunts him down

- Reiko fights alongside Shinnok and the second Forces of Darkness, rival to Rain for the throne of Outworld

- In all honesty, Shinnok finding out where his real amulet is and maybe killing Quan Chi soon afterwards (who is unaware that Shinnok knows about him having the amulet) or having Quan Chi killed by someone else *cough* Hanzo Hasashi *cough*

- Moloch being the sub-boss and the personal bodyguard of Shinnok

- BELOKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Seido/Orderrealm

- Hotaru training Johnny Cage, teaching him how to control his powers

- Hotaru allying with Shinnok at a later point, forcing Cage to fight against his one-time mentor

Chaosrealm

- Havik fights against Shinnok, being disgusted at his plans for ruling the realms

Last edited: