Debate Section: Kill it or Save It

Get rid of the debate section?

• Total voters
Like I said a few times, this discussion has already happened in the original MLP thread. All that happened this time was that it was made into it's own thread in the debate section.

Also....do you not think I get backlash from people when I move things into the NetherRealm? People care deeply here about their post count. I am not making fun of it, I am just posting a fact. Certain people have it in their minds that I only move things there to keep their post count down. It's absurd....I hardly ever know what my own post count is, let alone other people's. I don't care about how many posts I have, I just hope people see my posts as quality posts. THAT'S what I care about, not some silly count in a forum.

Really, there isn't any way to win, lol. If I do one thing, people complain. When I do another, people complain. People will always find something wrong with everything :/

Sorry.
I really didn't think about the backlash, but there has to be some other option than to kill it completely.
I don't go into a lot of the topics in that section, but I could also see how people use it to get stress off of their chest.
The debate section was always controversial.
There may just have to be more strict rules in place, instead.
I know that it's more work for the moderators, but if eliminating post counts in that section isn't an option, then I vote to keep it but with more strict rules.

My suggestion was to move some of the more active threads to general discussion and then the dead topics would go to our deleted section, where only the staff can see them, so that post count does not go down.
But...aren't the most active Threads the ones where the "heat" most likely begins...?

lol, regardless, I...am at whatever side wins.
Smashboards have a "Proving Grounds" where people who want to join the debate section have to debate a topic on hand to prove they are good at debating. And you can gain access if you show you are a competent debater.
I'm beginning to think an "Age Range" should be put on the debate thread.

Over 18's only.
Interesting but mean ideas.
For example, if someone wanted to post a thread about say, 'Whether or not America's educational system is broken', they would start the thread as per usual, but before anyone else can see it or reply to it, a moderator would have to approve/deny it, in order to assure whether or not the thread is germane to the forum's criteria.
Awesome idea!
The other forum I mod, I also made a debate section there, though it is much better (behavior wise) than it is here...and the members there are mostly in their mid to late teens.
Do you mind if I ask...around what does that community gravitate?
I think this debate section about keeping the debate section should be in the debate section.

/thread.
=o

Guru.
Idk if it's possible but I was wondering if there is a way to ban someone from one section. But only if they attack people! It wouldn't happen if they're just miserable at debating.
VB has an option to ban people from threads (not the entire forum, just a certain thread) and I mentioned it to Pat when this section originally went up but I believe Pat could not locate that option when he looked.
Hey! I think I remember not being able to "see" a certain Thread in the MK2011 section, and I had like, 10 posts or so at the time...! What gives...?

Last edited:
Hey! I think I remember not being able to "see" a certain Thread in the MK2011 section, and I had like, 10 posts or so at the time...! What gives...?

You probably clicked on a thread that was in the process of getting moved or deleted. We don't have any limitations based on post count.

I really havnt noticed an outcry over postcount. So I dont think its necessary to bring this up as if it's an issue going on that's holding you back from keeping the Debate section from going into the Neatherealm. But even if some people are butthurt over their postcount, I'd still rather have the debate section where posts are disabled, than no debate section at all. Once again, just cause a few people are mad over dumb things (in this case post count) that doesnt mean you should use that as an excuse not to have the debate section anymore.

lol, I don't know what you are reading, dude, but I never said anything about post count being one of the excuses to get rid of the debate section. Someone was asking why a thread was merged instead of moved to the NetherRealm and I was explaining why that would upset people. Post count has nothing to do with the problems of the debate section.

Disable post count, bring back rep as it's replacement. Problem solved.
(not that there ever was a problem, but you get what I mean)

It sounds wierd, but you never know.

Heck no, lol. Rep complaints were one of the worst things ever. Even if someone got a legit neg rep because they made a bad post, they would complain. The insults we took care of, yes, but a lot of the comments weren't even insults, it was just someone saying they disagreed, and that red box ticked people off so they complained about it because they 'felt they didn't deserve it'.

Don't get me wrong, I miss rep and I liked it a lot. There are a lot of posts here that I say to myself 'damn, where the is rep button?' because those posts deserve a positive rep, but people are too sensitive about these boxes.

Everyone's responses are appreciated so keep the feedback coming. Just try to understand both sides before you comment....this has nothing to do with the mods being this and that, it has to do with the community not being able to be mature about things. In fact, someone insulted another member yesterday so I stepped in and told EVERYONE to chill out and I get a message today from someone else saying I 'take the side of the whiners' and I apparently gave someone 'affirmation' for apparently insulting said person's intelligence. Once again, no one reported anything. On top of that, I don't take ANYONE'S side. I said 'chill out, peeps'. If people pay attention, they can see that it is not a comment targeting any particular person, but rather EVERYONE. PEEPS = EVERYONE. There are a number of people in this thread being rude to each other. It seems to be alright to tell someone to **** off or shut the hell up or get the **** out but if a mod steps in and tells everyone to chill, they are taking sides. I was on for only a few minutes last night. I apologize if I apparently missed something earlier but I only saw what was happening on the last page/page and a half. Regardless, I told everyone to chill. It was directed at every single person involved.

Everyone needs to learn to respect others. Not everyone is a grand debater. Not everyone is going to respond with paragraphs of information. Not everyone is going to go the lengths to back up what they say. That doesn't mean we can all disrespect each other.

Debates seem to be bringing out egos. People think that anyone who can't properly back up their claims or make several paragraph answers needs to stay out of the section. If you feel that someone isn't that great of a debater and isn't countering your posts, don't respond to them. Some people are just going back and forth with needless banter because one doesn't back up their facts. Just move on and talk with someone who is more on your level if another person can't satisfy you with their answers. It's a lot better than everyone resorting to insults.

I like EVERYONE here, I really do. Some people get on my nerves sometimes, lol, and I am sure I probably get on other people's nerves at times, but I just wish everyone could learn to get along. I don't like giving people trouble at all but it comes with being a mod....I get a lot of backlash for things I do and nothing I am doing is incorrect, people just don't like when it happens to them :/

Last edited:
Oh, I see. Sorry. I thought you were just finding another reason why you don't want the debate section to stay. My apologies lol

I'd like the debate section to stay honestly, but if the staff doesn't feel like dealing with it, (if everyone is so immature like you are saying) yet still wants to keep a squeaky clean atmosphere, then it's not gonna work out.

I mean, I dont see TOO big of a problem with how it is now. I know there are a few straight up bad apples ruining it , but I also kinda expect a section with touchy subjects to have people expressing their thoughts in a way that might seem harsh to easily offended people. Serious subjects can bring in harsh responses, and I dont see a problem with that. People should go in expecting theres a chance they may not like what is being posted. But if that's really not what you have in mind for the debate forum, go ahead and get rid of it. I just have a different mindset on the section as a whole, but I'm not in charge, so you can do whatever with it. I like the debate section for being a way to escape the rest of the forum. And even if some immaturity leaks over there, I would still rather have a flawed debate section, than no debate section at all. Which is why I'm strongly clinging to the idea of keeping it.

Last edited:
Um... how is asking someone to prove yourself mean? It's not different than someone proving themselves to be a good "Mod" or someone proving themselves to be a good "Back member" of fighting game sites.
On the idea taken from the Smashbros Bros Forum, you may never post, as the other users may be biased. Now, having your idea aproved (or not) by Mods is better because...they are Mods by a reason, and you may have a chance to post.

It should be tested if a person is good enough to be a Mod. But to be a poster? That's too much for so little.

Last edited:
I'm starting to regret my vote to keep the section. Too many people just jump in and either start trolling, or start flinging thinly-disguised insults at people because they feel the discussion hasn't gone their way or are suddenly uncomfortable with the fact that they can't back up their claims and get frustrated.

Oh, I see. Sorry. I thought you were just finding another reason why you don't want the debate section to stay. My apologies lol

I'd like the debate section to stay honestly, but if the staff doesn't feel like dealing with it, (if everyone is so immature like you are saying) yet still wants to keep a squeaky clean atmosphere, then it's not gonna work out.

I mean, I dont see TOO big of a problem with how it is now. I know there are a few straight up bad apples ruining it , but I also kinda expect a section with touchy subjects to have people expressing their thoughts in a way that might seem harsh to easily offended people. Serious subjects can bring in harsh responses, and I dont see a problem with that. People should go in expecting theres a chance they may not like what is being posted. But if that's really not what you have in mind for the debate forum, go ahead and get rid of it. I just have a different mindset on the section as a whole, but I'm not in charge, so you can do whatever with it. I like the debate section for being a way to escape the rest of the forum. And even if some immaturity leaks over there, I would still rather have a flawed debate section, than no debate section at all. Which is why I'm strongly clinging to the idea of keeping it.

That's okay, lol, I just assumed you may have read it wrong.

I like the debate section a lot and I had to convince Pat to add it, so I would hate to see it go after all that convincing, lol, I just hope people can handle the fact that it is a different section and the rules are going to be pushed more there than anywhere. Some negative comments have been said about the section from all sides so this was made public to see what you guys thought about the section.

I loved the debate section at first, but then it got bogged down with either pointless arguments or flaming up the ass. Sorry Jade, but I have to say it needs to be culled.

The debate forums here are where I 'grew up' on the site, sort to speak. I would be a bit saddened to see it removed, but I understand the reasoning behind its possible effacing. It's been remarkable, from my perspective. So much to learn from and elucidate to others, the experience has been ineffably didactic. It could get rowdy and harsh at times, but hey, so can life. It would upset me to see the DR gone.

I will keep this up until next Friday =)

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback.