The Official Alternative Rock/Indie Rock Thread

TaBB3rnackle92

Trolling You For Fun & Profit
My absolute favorite genre of all damn time.

Alternative rock (also called alternative music, alt rock or simply alternative) is a genre of rock music and a term used to describe a diverse musical movement that emerged from the independent music underground of the 1980s and became widely popular by the 1990s. Although the term was most commonly associated in its commercial heyday with a loud, distorted guitar sound, its original meaning was broader, referring to a generation of musicians unified by their collective debt to either the musical style, or simply the independent, D.I.Y. ethos, of punk rock, which in the late 1970s laid the groundwork for alternative music. At times, "alternative" has been used as a catch-all description for music from underground rock artists that receives mainstream recognition, or for any music, whether rock or not, that is seen to be descended from punk rock (including some examples of punk itself, as well as New Wave, and post-punk).

Alternative rock is a broad umbrella term consisting of music that differs greatly in terms of its sound, its social context and its regional roots. By the end of the 1980s, magazines and zines, college radio airplay and word of mouth had increased the prominence and highlighted the diversity of alternative rock, helping to define a number of distinct scenes such as gothic rock, jangle pop, noise pop, C86, Madchester, industrial music and shoegazing. Most of these subgenres had achieved minor mainstream notice and a few bands representing them, such as Hüsker Dü and R.E.M., had even signed to major labels. But most alternative bands' commercial success was limited in comparison to other genres of rock and pop music at the time, and most acts remained signed to independent labels and received relatively little attention from mainstream radio, television or newspapers. In the US, punk itself had also failed to find wide mainstream recognition, which the genre had briefly achieved in Britain. Instead, underground US bands in the early 1980s developed an uncompromising and uncommercial style of hardcore punk, which influenced the lo fi sound of much US alternative rock significantly.

Some examples of alternative rock bands that have achieved commercial success and mainstream critical recognition are The Smiths, R.E.M., Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Smashing Pumpkins, Foo Fighters, Oasis, Green Day, Weezer, Radiohead, Coldplay, Liz Phair, The Strokes, The Killers, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Modest Mouse, The White Stripes, and Muse. However, many alternative rock artists, such as The Birthday Party, Pixies, Cocteau Twins, Meat Puppets, My Bloody Valentine and Pavement, are cult acts that have recorded with independent labels and had more sustained influence on other bands than mainstream commercial success of their own.

Examples of the Greatness:

Last edited:
I like all sorts of music, but if I had to name one that is dearest to my heart, this is probably it. Which is wholly unsurprising since it hit its mainstream peak when I was you guys' age.

This is one of my favorite genres for sure! My favorite bands include Coldplay, REM, Radiohead and Oasis.

I like those tracks too TaBB, especially every you every me.

Thanks Flyman, I'm pretty big on Placebo. Coldplay and Radiohead are a few of my favorite bands, too.

Favorite Radiohead Songs:

I can actually play this on keyboard/piano lol

More Alt. Rock:

My personal two favorites at the time:

Just came across a finnish band named Poets of the fall. Im guessing its alternative rock, here is a track of theirs I like, what do you guys think? Are they really alternative or some other genre?

noticed R.E.M., Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, and Smashing Pumpkins up there on that list.
All bands I happen to really like alot. The word alternative doesnt describe a certain sound to me exactly, but you know what it overall helps label. Lot of great stuff to be found here.

and sorry tabb, I cant stand Indie rock lol. There's a few things out there that I might like, but for the most part I dont like it. Something just rubbs me the wrong way with Indie rock.

'Tis all good Sky, if we all liked the same thing then life would be pointless :mullet:
I'm a weird person, so I like weird music.
Personally, I am a fan of QUIETloudQUIET style of singing, popularized by Pixies (there is no "The" in front of their name.)
Commonly found in my favorite band, Modest Mouse.
Highly distorted guitar riffs, screaming and then sharply changing the pitch in the voice and slowing down the guitar.
Personally, I'm not a huge fan of breakdowns, but Modest Mouse sort of has this "2 song in 1" type about them.
Isaac Brock, the lead singer of MM, has a lisp, too.
Many blue collar references are found in his songs, as well as contradictory lyrics, of which I am an ENORMOUS fan of.
A made up example: "We had no teeth but we sure did have lots of goddamn toothpaste."
I love shit like that.