Tag Team combos

Commander

As of recent, I started playing more of Tag Mode in MK9.

I haven't seen any threads on TRMK with written out Tag Team combos for certain characters together.
So, with that said, maybe we could post up some high and low damage Tag Team combos here, to feed off of.

Some Tag Teams that I had in mind (at first) are the ones who seem to go together, such as:

Smoke \ Sub-Zero
Scorpion \ Sub-Zero
Kitana \ Mileena
Kitana \ Jade
Jax \ Sonya
Liu Kang \ Kung Lao
Sektor \ Cyrax.

Granted, there are tons of more Tag Mix-ups that can be created, but I was just using these as examples.

Pat, is there any way that we could make this thread "sticky" in the MK9 "Characters" section, so that people may keep adding NEW Tag Team combos to the thread???
I didn't want to make a thread for every possible Tag Team out there, but I figured that people could just use this as a guide for improving Tag Team combos. ;-)

Sub-Zero\Scorpion by Critical-Limit

Sub-Zero\Kano by YungQ94

A pretty damn good team, you can 2,2 freeze, 2,2 tag in with Kano and 212 any special move with Kano (except choke) and it's pretty good.

11-hit CORNER combo, 33%damage
2, 2, FREEZE, 2, 2, TAG .. 1, 1, 2, Kano EX Ball by Araknyd_Commander

Scorpion and Sub Zero by iViTal

Scorpion: Jip, B+2, Jump Kick, teleport, 1 >> 1,1 >> Spear, TAG/Sub B+1,2,1

Combo does 31% (Average Damage) but if your opponent guesses wrong with the B+1,2,1 Mix-up you get a full combo, however since it's a 50/50 and they guess right you get blown up with a full combo.. So it's risky but can land huge damage.

Unblockable set ups

Sub has his chargeable B+2 that's unblockable (If charged all the way) And Scorpion has his Hell fire Assist but it takes 1 bar. Because your opponent is in hit stun from hell fire assist you have enough time to go for the unblockable B+2. Hellfire does 8%+ to any combo you use after the unblockable set up.

Sub on point: Unblockable assist, B+2(Fully charged) >> B+1,2 > 2,1,2 Slide. 35% Base damage +8% from the hellfire = 43%

Sindel\Mileena (with x-ray) by The_Wraith

Start with Sindel. Do JIP, B3, F2, Scream, JIP, B3, F2, (Change to Mileena), B1, 4, 4, X-ray. 56%

You can't get that damage doing ANY combo with just Sindel or just Mileena.

Cyrax\Kabal: by Immortal Reaver

15 Hits 37%: JiP, 2 1 Net. Walk backwards slightly. JiP 2 1 Tag. Dash, F+3 2 Nomad Dash. Try to catch them in the air high. B+1 2 1 (only the last hit connects sending them flying) Dash, F+3 2 Ground Blade.

18 Hits 61%: JiP 2 1 Net. Walk backwards slightly. JiP 2 1 Sticky Bomb, Medium Bomb, Uppercut, B+2 (do it kind of early so only the explosion hits them), Dash 2 1 Tag, Dash F+3 2 Ground Blade.

Cyrax\Sektor: by Immortal Reaver

18 Hits 65%: JiP 2 1 Net. BB+Tag. JiP 2 1, Sticky Bomb, Medium Bomb, Uppercut, B+2 (do it kind of early so only the explosion hits them), Dash 2 1 Sticky Bomb, Uppercut.

Quan Chi\Rain by nomad

quan chi and rain.

trance, to tag rain in, to ex damage boost... ahhhh the damage!!!

just going f1,2,trance, tag rain in, ex damage boost, 4,3,db3 ... 6 hits one bar 40%
also have a 51% 10 hits one bar, i'll post later
still finding cool shiit...
like ending rains lightning with quans tag assist telestomp, not really worth metre but it looks classy!

also you can go f1,2,L1 (high low med) to rain combo..

Kitana \ Mileena by Major Logan

Mileena's Splits (U+4) and Ball Roll can tag swap and Kitana Noble Lift (F+2, 1) can tag swap.
Tagging in Mileena using the Tag Special can catch opponents off guard.
Kitana's Tag Assist is only good in between combos and breaking certain pressure games.
Kitana's EX Fan Toss Dash Cancel can add extra damage to combos as long as you have meter.

Now for the tag combos:

Kitana
F+2, 1, Tag(Mileena), Ball Roll, B+1, 4, Tag Assist(Kitana), dash, 4, Neckbite (Easy BnB tag combo)

F+2, 1, NJP, dash, B+2, Air Fan Toss, dash, B+2, Air Fan Toss, Tag Special(Mileena), Air Sai Blast (Timing has to be perfect or you'll whiff the second teleport kick.)

Mileena
4, 2, Teleport Kick, Air Sai Blast, Ball Roll, Tag(Kitana), 4, Fan Toss, F+2, EX Fan Toss Dash Cancel, 4, Fan Cutter (Another tag combo that requires strict timing. You can add the EX Fan toss and 4 for extra damage at the cost of a bar)

JP, U+4, U+4, F+3, 2+1, Ball Roll, Tag(Kitana), B+2, X-Ray(Easy X-Ray Tag Combo)

B+3, Ball Roll, U+4, Tag(Kitana), B+2, Air Fan Toss, Tag Special(Mileena), Air Sai Blast (Strict timing but easy BnB tag combo)

You can mix those combos with the tag swaps. Mileena has one of the best tag swaps in the game (Ball Roll & Splits). I don't remember the number of hits and damage percentage but I will leave it up to you guys to discover that. Thanks for reading.

Cyber Sub-Zero \ Cyrax by Immortal Reaver

21 Hits 54%: JiP 2 1 Ice Ball. Walk backwards slightly and Tag. JiP 2 1 Net. Walk backwards slightly. JiP 2 1 Sticky Bomb, NJP, Dash, B2, 1 2 1 Anti-Air.

Sektor \ Baraka by back, back, back, low punch

Start with Seksek:
1, 2, b1 b2 tag into Raka

f4 for the reset into the mixup of your choosing.

Liu Kang \ Shang Tsung by HOOD_FRESH

Ermac \ Scorpion by HOOD_FRESH

Various Characters by TONY-T

Last edited:
Well I guess its time to spend some time in the Lab with Kitana and Mileena ;)

I will come back and post decent damage combos :)

I know plenty with Kitana & Mileena since I've been playing Tag with the two since release. I can post some whenever I get to a desktop...

Kitana and Mileena Tag combos sound sweet. :-D
Also, remember, anyone could post ANY Tag Team that they are proficient with. ;-)
Since we don't have a Tag Team combo thread, I thought this would be helpful.
I just recently added Sub-Zero to Nightwolf (2 days ago) and started using them both in a Tag Team.
I have Nightwolf's solo 9 and 10-hit combos down, but I have to integrate it more with Sub-Zero to get better Tag Team combos going.

That would be sweet. ;-)
I wish there was a way to make this thread "Sticky" in the MK9 characters section.

Jade can sticky a thread, I think all mods can.
But Idk about it being in the MK9 characters section, Maybe a Mod can move the thread into that section as well.

I love you for making this thread, I hope it turns out. I was thinking about making one myself but Tag is really under rated so I figured it wouldn't hit off too well. I play Tag exclusively. The only 1v1 I play is when they challenge me with it in chat rooms or if my friend wants to do it. I'm 92 in the world in the Tag leaderboards btw ;D

I'll definitely be posting some, I hope I can learn some new ones also. Tag could be really sweet if people got into it.

Sub-Zero/Kano

A pretty damn good team, you can 2,2 freeze, 2,2 tag in with Kano and 212 any special move with Kano (except choke) and it's pretty good. Then again not everybody plays with Kano :laugh:

I'm not a fan of tag team combos. Simply because in the crushing majority of the situations, doing a combo with one character does more damage or the same damage as doing a tag combo. But doing the combo with 1 character is obviously way easier, so there is no point in doing the tag combo.

Although there ARE some rare situations that doing combos with both characters maximize damage.

Here's one of them:

Sindel/Mileena (with x-ray):

Start with Sindel. Do JIP, B3, F2, Scream, JIP, B3, F2, (Change to Mileena), B1, 4, 4, X-ray. 56%

I'm not a fan of tag team combos. Simply because in the crushing majority of the situations, doing a combo with one character does more damage or the same damage as doing a tag combo. But doing the combo with 1 character is obviously way easier, so there is no point in doing the tag combo.

Although there ARE some rare situations that doing combos with both characters maximize damage.

Here's one of them:

Sindel/Mileena (with x-ray):

I don't think those situations are as rare as you're making them sound.

:Cyrax and Kabal:

15 Hits 37%: JiP, 2 1 Net. Walk backwards slightly. JiP 2 1 Tag. Dash, F+3 2 Nomad Dash. Try to catch them in the air high. B+1 2 1 (only the last hit connects sending them flying) Dash, F+3 2 Ground Blade.

18 Hits 61%: JiP 2 1 Net. Walk backwards slightly. JiP 2 1 Sticky Bomb, Medium Bomb, Uppercut, B+2 (do it kind of early so only the explosion hits them), Dash 2 1 Tag, Dash F+3 2 Ground Blade.

Tag combos are fun anyways, even if they don't do a lot of damage. It also mind****s people because most people don't do them. Sometimes I switch between my characters a lot and it throws them off. Like I'll do JiP 2 1 Tag, then do the same with the next character. It's like a mixup of the mind. haha

I used to have a really cool one with Kabal and Sub-Zero but his ice puddle reset got removed. I can transcribe it for anyone who wants it if they play on an un-patched version...

Last edited:
I love you for making this thread, I hope it turns out. I was thinking about making one myself but Tag is really under rated so I figured it wouldn't hit off too well. I play Tag exclusively. The only 1v1 I play is when they challenge me with it in chat rooms or if my friend wants to do it. I'm 92 in the world in the Tag leaderboards btw ;D

I'll definitely be posting some, I hope I can learn some new ones also. Tag could be really sweet if people got into it.

Immortal, I've been getting into Tag more, and I'm starting to love it more than single matches.
I REALLY want to get into it more, and even though I'm not ranked, I plan to learn some combos and post any that I discover.
Yung, Sub-Zero and Kano are both in the rotation of characters that I'm trying to get better.

Worry not peeps.
Even if you use characters that aren't so popular, people still do use them.
Besides, the more Tag combos, the merrier.

Sub-Zero/Kano

A pretty damn good team, you can 2,2 freeze, 2,2 tag in with Kano and 212 any special move with Kano (except choke) and it's pretty good. Then again not everybody plays with Kano :laugh:

YungQ,
I was messing around with Sub-Zero / Kano Tag, and I modified your combo with a Kano EX Ball move for 11- Hits / 33% damage CORNER COMBO.

Here it is (starting with Sub-Zero),

2, 2, FREEZE, 2, 2, TAG .. 2, 2, 1, Kano EX Ball

EDIT:
I will be checking this thread every so often (every 2 days or so) and updating the OP with your combo inputs, and giving you credit for it. ;)

I can't do it right now, since I don't have access to a computer right now, and I'm typing from my iPod Touch.

:Cyrax and Sektor:

18 Hits 65%: JiP 2 1 Net. BB+Tag. JiP 2 1, Sticky Bomb, Medium Bomb, Uppercut, B+2 (do it kind of early so only the explosion hits them), Dash 2 1 Sticky Bomb, Uppercut.

This one makes me wish I could play Tag with someone else on my team online. Me and BBBLP would rock out with our cyborg ****s out.

i dont like how some moves with certain characters whifs all the time , it doesnt matter how early u do it. i used to do some sick sek/rax combos but i havent used cyrax in a minute. my new main is kano, so ill post some kano/sektor combos later.

Last edited:
Well, I do think. Most useful tag-team combos are also wall combos and require 3 bars of meter. That is just too specific.

there are tag swaps that also lead to things much worse than combos.

I fought a kabal/Kenshi player. And he would tag assist kenshi when I jump to anti air me and start his kabal combos. HE also had a combo when he started as kenshi that would end in kabals knee reset. so it was like 38% damage plus I'm left standing for more pressure. 38% isn't that much for swapping but it was worth it for resetting me in the standing position.

Some characters on a team can help deal more damage than others.

Scorpion/Ermac do a ALOT more as a team than seperate.
Scorpion/Subzero as you see in that video above can take out two full characters life bars in one combo.

Subzero(or anyone that has a combo that leaves the opponent standing at a disadvantage) Teamed with noob can take a full life bar with noobs ghost ball.

Night wolf on anyone's team can unleash 80%+ with some characters because his arrows leaves them staggering and enough time to come in and deal JiP combo and if you leave them standing like noob saibot, You can get another JiP until your out of meter.

Sure you're spending meter. But all of these are double the damage of X-ray... for 3 bars.