The Official Video Game Recommendation Thread

Shirayuki Mizore

Alright this isn't some place just to go

"Hey I want a new game, what do I get?"

This thread is for really getting deep down into the specifics so the person who recommends can really give a proper recommendation. Sure we can all look up reviews on youtube/gamespot/g4/ etc but why not take a review from one of your fellow TRMK members?

For example I needed a gift for my friend for Christmas and Back Back Back Low Punch recommended Just Cause 2 and guess what, my friend loves it. So thanks again for helping me out dude.

Anyway I have all this money from Christmas and I have no idea what game to get. I figure I ask the TRMK community for a recommendation and others posting in this thread can do the same. Now when someone is asking their post can be like this:

Favorite Genres: Open World, Action/Adventure, and shooter

Favorite games: GTA, Dead Rising, Red Dead Redemption, Saints Row

Least favorite game: Call of Duty

Playing right now: Saints Row 3, Borderlands, Dead Rising 2: OTR, LA Noire, Team Fortress 2

Doesn't want: Skyrim (Cause I know someone will suggest it)

Owns: Xbox 360

So anyone have any suggestions?

Just Cause 2? It's very similar to grand theft auto, and you can probably find it very cheap as well. It was somewhat overlooked when it released.

Also, Mass Effect.

You ain't got nothin' else but Sexbox?

Take yo ass to the local pawn shop and buy you a 64 and maybe a Dreamcast and a Super Nintendo too while you at it with dem stacks you got :cool:

... Oh wait, you forgot, you don't go to pawn shops, only eBay :neutral:

I keep hearing BBBLP raving about Sonic Generations... but I haven't played a Sonic game since the Genesis. In light of that, would I enjoy the game? Also, since I don't have a PS3 or X360 it looks like I'll need the PC version... I know how PC games can be sometimes, has anyone heard of any issues?

Fallout 3 or Fallout: New Vegas might be to your liking if you are not interested in Skyrim. The world is large, with tons of locations to discover and items to collect. The game's structure is open-ended, allowing you to play at your own pace and deviating from the main quest. One nice feature, combat-wise is the ability to damage specific parts which can disable the enemy in certain ways. There are more dialogue options in FO than Skyrim. If there is anything bad to say about the game, it's riddled with bugs, so you better not rely too heavily on autosave.

If you have questions, just ask or look for the Fallout thread.

Last edited:
Batman Arkham Asylum or Batman Arkham City. They are both so great, but I have only been playing Arkham Asylum as I borrowed it from my cousin.

Cameos: If your a fan of Batman, it is awesome how many cameos they have(Arkham City has 10X more:p). Ive seen Batman, Joker, Gordon, Scarecrow, Killer Croc, Bane, and Harley Quinn just to name a few. In the first 10 minutes of Arkham City there is the Penguin, Hugo Strange, The Joker, and Catwoman. So basically if you have ever seen any of the movies or read any of the comics, you will enjoy the game even more.

It is still fun no matter if you are a fan of Batman or not. It is really well written with a lot of plot twists. The combat system is very smooth(Seeing Batman kick a guy in the balls in slo mo is the coolest thing ever). There is tons of gadgets and stuff you can use. Riddler's puzzles will keep you entertained for a while. If your a perfectionist this game will take you a while, as I think there is 50 Arkham symbols hidden that you can find, about 256 of Riddler's puzzles and trophies, a challenge mode, and probably more.

So yeah, one of those games would be my personal recommendation.

Persona 4 on the PS2. It came out in 2008 and I just played it this year and it was amazing. Its somewhat hard to find but its not too rare, but it is still expensive for it being almost 4 years old (Its still $40 at Gamestop) but it was worth every penny. It'll take you about 90 hours to beat and its a fun challenge with likable characters and the story is fantastic. I recommend it to everyone, even if you don't like turn based style RPGs.

Just Cause 2? It's very similar to grand theft auto, and you can probably find it very cheap as well. It was somewhat overlooked when it released.

My friend is loving it and he is one picky dude so that is actually a good one.

This isn't really new to you is it, boobs? :?
Alot of money.. what, did you strike oil again?
:rofl:
Anyways, go buy RAGE dude. I loved it. Bbblp loved it. It's a shooter/Rpg.

Oh my god lol never going to let it go huh?

You ain't got nothin' else but Sexbox?

Take yo ass to the local pawn shop and buy you a 64 and maybe a Dreamcast and a Super Nintendo too while you at it with dem stacks you got :cool:

... Oh wait, you forgot, you don't go to pawn shops, only eBay :neutral:

I actually have a Dreamcast and I play Hydro Thunder =D

RPG's cramp Shirayuki's style LOL

This is true :neutral:

Fallout 3 or Fallout: New Vegas might be to your liking if you are not interested in Skyrim. The world is large, with tons of locations to discover and items to collect. The game's structure is open-ended, allowing you to play at your own pace and deviating from the main quest. One nice feature, combat-wise is the ability to damage specific parts which can disable the enemy in certain ways. There are more dialogue options in FO than Skyrim. If there is anything bad to say about the game, it's riddled with bugs, so you better not rely too heavily on autosave.

If you have questions, just ask or look for the Fallout thread.

The thing about Fallout 3 is that it takes place in that whole post apocalyptic thing which I'm not to into. It's hard enough to play Borderlands lol because my bro got it for me and I don't want to ignore it but the environment doesn't entertain me much.

Batman Arkham Asylum or Batman Arkham City. They are both so great, but I have only been playing Arkham Asylum as I borrowed it from my cousin.

Cameos: If your a fan of Batman, it is awesome how many cameos they have(Arkham City has 10X more:p). Ive seen Batman, Joker, Gordon, Scarecrow, Killer Croc, Bane, and Harley Quinn just to name a few. In the first 10 minutes of Arkham City there is the Penguin, Hugo Strange, The Joker, and Catwoman. So basically if you have ever seen any of the movies or read any of the comics, you will enjoy the game even more.

It is still fun no matter if you are a fan of Batman or not. It is really well written with a lot of plot twists. The combat system is very smooth(Seeing Batman kick a guy in the balls in slo mo is the coolest thing ever). There is tons of gadgets and stuff you can use. Riddler's puzzles will keep you entertained for a while. If your a perfectionist this game will take you a while, as I think there is 50 Arkham symbols hidden that you can find, about 256 of Riddler's puzzles and trophies, a challenge mode, and probably more.

So yeah, one of those games would be my personal recommendation.

I think I'll probably borrow Batman from my good friend since I never buy a game when there is an opportunity to borrow it :cool:

Persona 4 on the PS2. It came out in 2008 and I just played it this year and it was amazing. Its somewhat hard to find but its not too rare, but it is still expensive for it being almost 4 years old (Its still $40 at Gamestop) but it was worth every penny. It'll take you about 90 hours to beat and its a fun challenge with likable characters and the story is fantastic. I recommend it to everyone, even if you don't like turn based style RPGs.

Since I still play my ps2 I'll look into this game. Thanks =D

I'm looking for a new game

Favorite Genres: Fighting, platformer (mainly side-scrolling)
Favorite Games: MK9, KOF XIII, Trine, Castlevania, Metal Slug, Silent Hill, Kingdom Hearts, Heavy Rain
Least Favorite Games: First Person Shooters
Playing right now: Arkham City
Don't Want: COD, GTA
Owns: PS3

Thanks

I ended up getting 3 games for Christmas; inFamous 2, Assassin's Creed Revelations and Batman Arkham City.

All 3 of those are open-world adventures that you would probably like (based on your original post). Out of those 3 I only actually asked for Assassin's Creed but I can't put down Batman Arkham City, it's totally badass. I love just about everything about it: many Batman villains in it, the combat is cool (very simple with depth to it), and navigating is cool with all the toys Batman gets like the grapple hook and gliding.

Even though I already beat the main story I am still having fun with it as there is alot of optional content such as side quests, collectibles, Riddler challengers, new game+. But don't take my word for it, alot of critics think the same

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/batman-arkham-city

Also, if you do get it make sure you download the Catwoman DLC BEFORE you start a new game, which is free if you buy the game new. Her story is intermingled with Batman's and definitely better than playing her chapters independently