TRMK's MKAK 1.02 Patch Notes and Bugs Thread

Patrick McCarron

TRMK Admin, Co-founder
Staff member
I'm going to create a thread here, of fixes and issues that still exist in 1.02. It'll take some time to consolidate and test but I wanted to create a one stop place to find info on this version. Since I'm one of few people with both versions of the game right now, I figured over this weekend I can help build this out when I have some free time.

1.02 PATCH RELEASE DATES:
PlayStation Network (North America): UNKNOWN (Hopefully 12/21/2011)
Xbox 360 (North America): 12/21/2011
PlayStation Network (European Regions): 12/7/2011
Xbox 360 (European Regions): 12/21/2011

Please refrain from replying to this thread unless you have something to add to it, like an issue not in the list or untested in 1.02

CHANGES
(Click thumbnails below to enlarge)

• New Video Display option "Stretch" that fills a HDTV. The screenshots in this article demonstrate this new feature.

• Scorpion's Voice on UMK3 can be heard when throwing the spear.
  • UMK3 now seems louder than before, pre-patch it seemed quieter than MK1 + MK2 did.
  • Online has player names on each side of the screen in the selection, loading screens and during games.

• Ranked game lobby no longer shows the other player's name or rank to avoid . Instead just shows PLAYER 1 or PLAYER 2.
  • Quitting from a ranked game gives the player a game loss and point loss. Thanks to Juggernaut for confirming this.
  • Online is MUCH improved. So far only been able to play against European players due to it being released over there only so far and it is quite smooth despite the long distance. Immediately feels different, no more like you are playing in molasses. Here's a quick video showing how fast online is now, hope to get a longer video up soon but having technical difficulties.
  • Unpausing the game no longer leaves you unable to move for a few seconds
  • You can use UKKs in UMK3 online (NON-RANKED GAMES ONLY) now.

• The "Arcade" Filter has more even scanlines when in "Stretched" mode, but in other modes retains it's uneven scan line arrangement from previous release.

DISPLAY: STRETCH FILTER: ARCADE
    MKAK_EvenScanlines.jpg

DISPLAY: CABINET/STANDARD FILTER: ARCADE
    MKAK_UnevenScanlines.jpg
  • The video "gamma" level was reduced resulting in a less washed out colors.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Last edited:
TRMK's MKAK 1.02 Patch - BUGS / ISSUES LIST

List of issues and bugs that remain in this version of the game will go on this post

• Unfortunately they didn't put in version restrictions on the matchmaking, so if you get matched against a 1.02 player from Europe or a 1.01 player in the US right now you get a nasty black screen. This problem should go away once 1.02 is sent out worldwide.
    BlackScreen.jpg
  • There is still music playback issues, especially on MK1 and MK2, where there are gaps and glitches with the music looping on the attract modes and in-game.
  • Reports of wrong sound (MK1 Courtyard clapping and Jump Landing sounding like a blocked punch) which remain and may be due to a volume/mixing/emulation error.
  • Uneven scanlines on non-Stretched video output modes. This may be intentional, just looks odd and is not present in STRECH mode.
    MKAK_UnevenScanlines.jpg
  • When in a game lobby and you toggle READY it locks you in the READY position, unable to mute player, check gamer card, etc. That is bad but what is worse is that if you happen QUICKLY hit down after ready, you'll be stuck on a lower item and be unable to do anything in the menu. Here's a video pre-patch from Terry Masters demonstrating the problem, and I've repeated this in 1.02 as well.

Last edited:
TRMK's MKAK 1.02 Patch - BUGS ACTUALLY IN ARCADE ROM

Sometime the bugs in the Arcade Rom are incorrectly mentioned as a bug in the MKAK. Here's a few examples.

• Performing Scorpion's Second Fatality (F, F, D, U + RUN) on the Subway stage will reset the game.
  • Raiden's missed MK2 Fatality will reset the MKAK too.

Last edited:
TRMK's MKAK 1.02 Patch - ANNOYANCES LIST

This is more for unlikely stuff that would ever get fixed in a patch, but we fans would like or are annoyed about. Hard to call them bugs, but more of oversights, but that depends on who you ask.

• Mapping of multiple buttons to multiple commands for joystick
  • Scale how much STRECH mode actually scales, cuts edges of on most TV sets.
  • Also some fans desire that MK4 be added to the MKAK.
    I think this is silly and not part of the scope of this project but I put it here just so they don't constantly bug me to add it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Pat. There are some very interesting things going on with the MKAK:

-Despite the number of people out for blood over how long the patch took, believe it or not, they've improved some things. Scorpion's "Get Over Here/Come Here" was actually broken in the original arcade hardware - every wolf unit revision of UMK3 has this problem with the exception of WaveNet (I should know, I have it, along with it's little green marquee topper. AHEM. Anyway...)

-Because I love breaking stuff, I had to test the original bugs; Scorpion's second fatality, Raiden's late Uppercut fatality, the Impact Draw in MK1 and Reptile's forceball glitches all reset the original hardware, and will crash the AK too (the PS3 version of MKII froze completely with Raiden). I test these first just to see how the emulation handles them, followed by the online to figure out how matchmaking is handled.

Thanks for the info Pat. There are some very interesting things going on with the MKAK:

-Despite the number of people out for blood over how long the patch took, believe it or not, they've improved some things. Scorpion's "Get Over Here/Come Here" was actually broken in the original arcade hardware - every wolf unit revision of UMK3 has this problem with the exception of WaveNet (I should know, I have it, along with it's little green marquee topper. AHEM. Anyway...)

I have seen a few versions where UMK3 plays Scorpion's voice fine actually, I think it's a deep down rare hardware issue where it works right. I need to test my hardware here.

As far as WaveNET, you're getting a PM for that one...

-Because I love breaking stuff, I had to test the original bugs; Scorpion's second fatality, Raiden's late Uppercut fatality, the Impact Draw in MK1 and Reptile's forceball glitches all reset the original hardware, and will crash the AK too (the PS3 version of MKII froze completely with Raiden). I test these first just to see how the emulation handles them, followed by the online to figure out how matchmaking is handled.

Your statement confused me. So you have tested these as bugs in the original hardware too? My MK machine is in dis-repair right now so not easy to test stuff on the hardware for me.

I can't wait to play MKII online! I hope they get around to fixing the other bugs too I mean they should definitely be fixing the scorpion bug that's a no brainer. Now that their Ipod game is out maybe they can fix this one in a reasonable period of time.

Your statement confused me. So you have tested these as bugs in the original hardware too? My MK machine is in dis-repair right now so not easy to test stuff on the hardware for me.

Yeah man, they all work on my cabs. I've actually taken videos of some of them. Raiden's MKII late fatality makes the speakers pop when the game resets. This should bring up the playlist:

http://www.youtube.com/terryxmasters#p/c/1D0651A761F63336

The second I hear of a new bug or glitch I put it through the arcade boards first, then try to break as many ports as I can :laugh:

Yeah man, they all work on my cabs. I've actually taken videos of some of them. Raiden's MKII late fatality makes the speakers pop when the game resets. This should bring up the playlist:

http://www.youtube.com/terryxmasters#p/c/1D0651A761F63336

The second I hear of a new bug or glitch I put it through the arcade boards first, then try to break as many ports as I can :laugh:

Can you do me a favor when you get time, do a UMK3 video of the the Scorpion crash (didn't see it in your list of bugs) and also do a video of UMK3 Scorpion's spear from varying distances and in and out of combos. I'll try to replicate on the patch. I have a bad theory I'd like to investigate about Scorpion in UMK3.

Can you do me a favor when you get time, do a UMK3 video of the the Scorpion crash (didn't see it in your list of bugs) and also do a video of UMK3 Scorpion's spear from varying distances and in and out of combos. I'll try to replicate on the patch. I have a bad theory I'd like to investigate about Scorpion in UMK3.

I just messed around with it now really quick, and some even more interesting things popped up.

I got him to say it uninterrupted. It froze the game!

Or paused it for much longer than normal, anyhow. Took a video of that and another bug I came across in the process where Player 2 loses a credit if he doesn't choose what game mode he wants to play. Also found a pretty sick Scorpion combo (infinite?) where he can repeatedly spear and uppercut someone before they hit the ground, but it's only possible because the uppercut recovery window is cut shorter than normal during fatality time. That I couldn't get on tape, though. I have to edit it because it took a couple tries so I'll need a little while. For the record, this was on 1.1 - I never found the time to upgrade to 1.2 which I may end up doing tomorrow.

Ninja Edit- The subway fatality glitch was buried in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgHG10SsCcw at 2:12

*The pause glitch is also still in the game, it doesn't always happen, and it seems like the back movement is most affected
*Is there a way to check the framerate? 'cause I feel that the MK2 emulation has a variable framerate
--->all PS3 BTW
*receiving PM messages while creating a lobby/ while in a lobby / on the VS screen, frooze my game a few times, had to hard reset my PS3 a few times

Have any of you tried the baby bashing glitch for 3.1 that involves Scorpion or Shang? Using Shang, I think it's possible to crash the game by morphing into Baraka and using his Blades of Fury after the Babality.

Needless to say, this has to be done on the winning round. Basically, you have to position yourself in the corner with your back to it, and the opponent next to you on the opposite side. With your opponent on danger, and while morphed into Scorpion, have both fighters jump straight up and throw the opponent into the corner using Scorpion's air throw, causing both fighters to swap places. Two things must happen here as soon as both players land: 1) The opponent must rapidly tap Down+HK (any low attack will work, including an uppercut, but this supposedly works best), and 2) Scorpion must perform his Babality. If timed right, the opponent will be turned into a baby right before knocking Scorpion out of his win pose with their crouched kick. This should cause Shang to morph back into himself, allowing you to morph into Baraka.

I haven't exactly tested this variation of the glitch; I've only seen it described. If someone feels like testing it, please share your results.

Ok I didn't even get a chance to read the rest of the thread because something really wonky happened to my PC last night, I had to roll back drivers just to use Movie Maker for this but here's the first video I took showing what I mentioned before:

I'll (hopefully) be back in a little while after I get this driver issue figured out.

Ok I didn't even get a chance to read the rest of the thread because something really wonky happened to my PC last night, I had to roll back drivers just to use Movie Maker for this but here's the first video I took showing what I mentioned before:

I'll (hopefully) be back in a little while after I get this driver issue figured out.

Woah love that lost credit glitch, so odd.

Thanks for the Scorpion video, I'll have a comparison one later today. From your video it seems he says "COME HERE" more than "GET OVER HERE" but like 60/40 maybe?

I had a bad feeling that UMK3 only was now doing "Come here" post patch, but I got Scorpion to say both "Get Over Here" and "Come Here" so we're good.

That said I found the cause of the audio differences in the MKAK, not good news and nothing a future patch would likely solve. More on that another day.

That said I found the cause of the audio differences in the MKAK, not good news and nothing a future patch would likely solve. More on that another day.

Even the PSP version of Miday Arcade Treasures had the same audio issues during the attract mode of MK2.

Something that I haven't seen adressed yet (maybe I overlooked) but was the volume on UMK3 fixed?
Noticed it pre-patch it's not as loud as MKI or MKII.