Random Gameplay Facts thread

Critical-Limit

Random Gameplay Facts Thread

This thread will be dedicated to people sharing random facts about MK9 gameplay tactics/tricks/timings ect ect. I will update original OP so the same fact isn't repeated.

General

Spoiler:

1.) Fastest 7 frame uppercuts (nightwolf, Sonya, Kung Lao, Johnny Cage, Stryker)
2.)Johnny's "forceball trap" can be ducked, making it unsafe
3.)cutting fan can be ducked, leaving it unsafe.
4.)You can cancel every single one of Nightwolf's wake ups with D+4 (the armored one won't hit you).
5.)All D1's are unsafe on block.
6.)you can NJP sheeva's stomp.

Scorpion
Offense
Spoiler:

Defense
Spoiler:

Lui Kang
Offense
Spoiler:

Defense
Spoiler:

Kung Lao
Offense
Spoiler:

1.) Kung lao's 2,4,low hat may not have the stun it use to to give free pressure, but if they try to do anything toward you besides block you can spin punish them for a full combo. you can use this to condition them to block waiting for spin and eat more of your pressure.

Defense
Spoiler:

Sub-Zero
Offense
Spoiler:

Defense
Spoiler:

Sindel
Offense
Spoiler:

1.)master sindels float cancel. using it in block strings leads into free throws

Defense
Spoiler:

Ermac
Offense
Spoiler:

1.) If F4 hits, you get enough advantage to do another before they can retaliate, they are forced to block low, which essentially gives free pressure when you expect them to start blocking.

Defense
Spoiler:

1.) Ermac can combo his uppercut when used as an anti-air into a lift for a full combo

Reptile
Offense
Spoiler:

Defense
Spoiler:

Kitana
Offense
Spoiler:

1.)Cutter can be ducked.
2.)Kitana is the ONLY character who can combo off of a GROUNDED uppercut( meaning kitana hit her opponent with an uppercut while they were standing). It only works in the corner. After hitting with the uppercut, do d1 into cutting fan and combo from there. The timing is VERY strict
3.)kitana has a reset. end juggles by whiffing f4 then either use 1 or b4 afterwards.

Defense
Spoiler:

1.)2 is an easy AA, 3 is harder to use but more damaging. (Kitana)

Johnny Cage
Offense
Spoiler:

1.)johnny's ex shadowball is advantage on block.

Defense
Spoiler:

Jade
Offense
Spoiler:

1.) Jade's 1,2 pressure leaves both her and her opponent at equal advantage. +0(frames) advantage on block. her 1 comes out in 9 frames.

Defense
Spoiler:

1.)Jade's EX glow makes jade take 1.5x more damage, and will shut off if that 1.5 damage will kill shot jade, so jade can survive.
2.)you dont have to wait for jades ex glow to activate before comboing , you can ex glow straight into a move ( b+2,u+1 etc)

Mileena
Offense
Spoiler:

1.)Mileena has a reset. end juggles by whiffing teleport kick. she recovers instantly and has time to use a move before the opponent can wake up. either use u4, d4, ex ball roll, b3, throw or just wait for the opponent to use a wake-up attack and punish.
2.)Mileena is the ONLY character in the game who can prevent a wake-up 100% of the time and its 100% safe. after doing 1 1 2 roll in the middle of your juggle, slightly back up and use b2. if the opponent back rolls, b2 hits and the damage is UNSCALED, but the opponent is "unharmed"(meaning the opponent seems like he didn't even get hit because he can still move around as if he was using jades ex glow). if the opponent just lays there, the opponent takes scaled damage and is "harmed". if the opponent tries to use a wake-up attack, b2 AUTOMATICALLY makes the opponent block, putting them into a reset situation.
3.)Mileenas teleport is unsafe EVEN AFTER A SAI..same for ex teleport.

Defense
Spoiler:

Nightwolf
Offense
Spoiler:

Defense
Spoiler:

1.)Despite Nightwolf having armor on his EX shoulder charge, you can still uppercut him after his first hit whiffs because his armor wears off.

Cyrax
Offense
Spoiler:

1.)when cyrax does his command throw multiple times in a row you can let the jump in punch hit you and the command grab will wiff and you'll get a full combo.

Defense
Spoiler:

Noob-Saibot
Offense
Spoiler:

1.)Noob Saibot's Shadows count as a physical hit when you EX them so they beat out reflect/glow moves

Defense
Spoiler:

Smoke
Offense
Spoiler:

Defense
Spoiler:

Sektor
Offense
Spoiler:

1.)Sektor has a 6 frame jab (standing 1) the fastest in the game

Defense
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Sonya
Offense
Spoiler:

1.)if end some of sonya's combo's with arc kick, it will flip your side of the screen (good to get out of corner)

Defense
Spoiler:

Jax
Offense
Spoiler:

1.)jax grab multi grab - r1, *wait*1+4,2+3,1+2,1+2+3+4
2.)Jax's forward 4 1 3 randomly gives advantage
3.)jax(corner olny) cyrax and smoke all have dirty dirty resets using meter

Defense
Spoiler:

Kano
Offense
Spoiler:

Defense
Spoiler:

Stryker
Offense
Spoiler:

Defense
Spoiler:

Shang Tsung
Offense
Spoiler:

Defense
Spoiler:

Baraka
Offense
Spoiler:

1.)Baraka can do 1 into slices as an anti air
2.)Baraka can do a F4 reset after a chop chop in the corner
3.)Slices makes any blockstring safe on block(Baraka)
4.)Chop Chop can be beat out with a jump in punch(If you try to use it as an anti air)
5.)Blade spin can be poked out of.
6.)D1 slices is one oh his best pressure options (Baraka)
7.)U3 is +10 on block and can be used to set up corner pressure(Baraka)
8.)F4, 2,2 1+2 is his frame trap(Baraka)
9.)If you can add a U3 right after a b3,1 to do b3,1 U3 b3,1 b3,1 EX spin spin for 40%(Baraka)
10.)EX slices is a juggle starter(Baraka)
11.)Blade charge is always safe on block when at the right distance.

Defense
Spoiler:

Kabal
Offense
Spoiler:

Defense
Spoiler:

Raiden
Offense
Spoiler:

Defense
Spoiler:

Cyber Sub-Zero
Offense
Spoiler:

1.)CSZ has an inescapable trap callled "Glue Trap" where a bomb is set at your opponent. If they jump they eat your X-ray. If they dash block in. Your X-ray will push them back into the bomb for a freeze giving you a combo.

Defense
Spoiler:

Sheeva
Offense
Spoiler:

1.)Sheeva can cancel out of her 2, 1, 2, b1 into any of her specials.
This combo was once considered useless because Sheeva would taunt her opponent, leaving her immobile for a short while.
Spoiler:

Defense
Spoiler:

1.)Sheeva has the biggest hit box.

Quan Chi
Offense
Spoiler:

Defense
Spoiler:

Skarlet
Offense
Spoiler:

Defense
Spoiler:

Rain
Offense
Spoiler:

Defense
Spoiler:

1.)Rain is an armored God. Every special he has is armored when enhanced.
Master his armored dash (ex Rhc ). Leads into a free combo.
4 into rhc is a better pressure string than 4 3 rhc. 4 has more block and hitstun and 4 combos into RH while 4 3 doesn't.

Kenshi
Offense
Spoiler:

1.)kenshi's up and down slashes are unsafe on block at a close distance. only characters with fast specials can punish it.

Defense
Spoiler:

Freddy Krueger
Offense
Spoiler:

Defense
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Sheeva can cancel out of her 2, 1, 2, b1 into any of her specials.
This combo was once considered useless because Sheeva would taunt her opponent, leaving her immobile for a short while.

Holding down during an uppercut makes it recover much slower.

Sektor & Styker have the fastest uppercuts.

*May have been changed in patch ~ Sektor can limbo under Smoke's teleport during his up missile

Sheeva can cancel out of her 2, 1, 2, b1 into any of her specials.

Holding down during an uppercut makes it recover much slower.

Sektor & Styker have the fastest uppercuts.

*May have been changed in patch ~ Sektor can limbo under Smoke's teleport during his up missile

TYM frame data says that Sonya is 1 frame faster than sektor on uppercut so it's sonya and anyone else who is 7 frames

Kung Lao : 7 frame uppercut
Johnny Cage: 7 frame uppercut
Nightwolf: 7 frame uppercut
Sonya: 7 frame uppercut
Stryker: 7 frame uppercut

Thanks for contributing BBBLP I added your stuff to the OP but using this 7frame data as a slot instead :D

How about the ones that we all probably know but others may not?

Like Ermac can teleport out of his hover, and his b1,2, force push combo?
Stuff like that, I still don't know how to do Jade's double kick.

Also, launching a far bomb with Cyber Subzero and activating his X-ray (the glue trap).

How about the ones that we all probably know but others may not?

Like Ermac can teleport out of his hover, and his b1,2, force push combo?
Stuff like that, I still don't know how to do Jade's double kick.

Also, launching a far bomb with Cyber Subzero and activating his X-ray (the glue trap).

to do jade's double kick, you just input the kick input again really fast right after you put it in. There is no waiting just spam DF4. No timing needed.

Hmmm i'm iffy on ermac's teleport out of float because that was is really commonly used online. I'm looking for stuff you might have to lab to find out but don't have to because it's labeled here.

can you explain the "glue trap"? are you using a bomb to force a jump so you can X-ray? is that what you mean?

Ok, I just tested it out and Sektor can no longer limbo under Smoke's teleport.
That sucks :(

Or maybe he never could.
This was a while ago and the more I think about it, the more I start to remember it happened during Smoke's air teleport.
I just thought it was ground because of how low he did it.

i found a weird trick the other day.. hadnt seen it before, dont know if its what your looking for, wouldnt be surprised if they patch it now.

i was shang tsung and sindel, tag. VS sub zero and whoever...

i go 2,1 d,f L1, shang comes out as sub zero, i switch back to sindel and go 2,1, d,b,L1.. now this should shoot shangs 3 fire balls. but instead shang shoots subzeros enhanced freeze beam!... ALONG THE GROUND! glitch style, but it doesnt hit low..(that would be cool!) can also do subs slide.

i tried this again replacing subzero, but to no avail.. it just does shangs normal moves. i dont think you need sindel..it worked with cryax too.. but just with 3 hit strings.

tips and tricks.

quans trances build metre faster than anymove in the game.

quans 1,1,telestomp is a reset.

kenshi's tk push and lift, build metre the slowest

johnny's ex shadowball is advantage on block.

you can dash cancel to combo with Krato's parry.

if end some of sonya's combo's with arc kick, it will flip your side of the screen (good to get out of corner)
tidbit* sonya can lowpoke into mititary stance

hold back to change to direction of jaxs dash punch

jax grab multi grab - r1, *wait*1+4,2+3,1+2,1+2+3+4

cyber sub can parry after blocked combo strings.

you can NJP sheeva's stomp.

you dont have to wait for jades ex glow to activate before comboing , you can ex glow straight into a move ( b+2,u+1 etc)

kung laos 2,4, spin only works if the players stances match up.

(random characters specific one) jax can ex elbow kitana out of her square wave.

oh and this one i found out the other day, jaxs ex dash punch cancels out kanos xray! and the hit.

i'll think of more.

Last edited:
quans trances build metre faster than anymove in the game.

johnny's ex shadowball is advantage on block.

you can dash cancel to combo with Krato's parry.

if end some of sonya's combo's with arc kick, it will flip your side of the screen (good to get out of corner)

hold back to change to direction of jaxs dash punch

jax grab multi grab - r1, *wait*1+4,2+3,1+2,1+2+3+4

cyber sub can parry after blocked combo strings.

you can NJP sheeva's stomp.

you dont have to wait for jades ex glow to activate before comboing , you can ex glow straight into a move ( b+2,u+1 etc)

you can drop the end of ermacs combos and start a charge up punch set-up.

i'll think of more.

i'll think of more

I added it to OP

Mind explaing 15/16? was there a typo in 15?

i ex dash punched when a kano did his xray and they both cancelled each other out. must have hyper armour.

*i added more tips to my original post

Sektor has a 6 frame jab (standing 1) the fastest in the game

Sheeva has the biggest hit box.

you can Down 1 when some one tries to cross you up with a jump in punch.

when cyrax does his command throw 100 times in a row you can let the jump in punch hit you and the command grab will wift and you'll get a full combo.

Night Wolf loses if you down 4 and block high

Sub Zero's clone is the fastest move in the game 2 frames i think

Jax's forward 4 1 3 randomly gives advantage

jax(corner olny) cyrax and smoke all have dirty dirty resets using meter

If someone posted this and I missed it, sorry but if you do Mileena fatality on Kratos, she won't eat his head...