"You Know What's BS?" The Thread

[sek]

(thread title reference here )

Also known as "things in gaming that piss me off: the thread".

So as some of you know, I'm an avid old school gamer. Right now my wall o' systems has a NES, Genesis/Sega CD, Dreamcast, Nintendo 64, GameCube, PS2, Wii, and 360. Modern technology only made gaming better, right? Well for the most part, yes. But there's one big exception.

The NES Zapper doesn't work on modern TVs. That is bull shit.

It's not for the reason most people think, either. The common myths usually center around the Zapper using the red/blue/green guns of an old CRT TV to work and that's why they don't work on a modern LCD TV. The actual reason centers around resolution. Modern HDTVs have a resolution of (at least) 1280x720, while the NES has a native resolution of about 256x240. The problem occurs when HDTVs use a few extra milliseconds of processing time to downscale the image, and it causes light gun peripherals like the NES Zapper to not be able to lock onto the targets on the screen. It's also the reason why some people claim some NES games have a small amount of lag in the control response when played on a HDTV.

What sucks is there's really no way around it. There are devices out that cut down the extra processing time, but because light gun peripherals are designed to work in 1/60th of a second, even one extra millisecond will ensure it won't work properly. Who would have thought modern TVs would reach the point they can't handle technology from 1985?

That my friends is BS.

Yeah, it's pretty shitty that we can't use light guns on an LCD. I've got my old Sega systems hooked up through an RGB to component converter and my Dreamcast through VGA; they all look great, especially when compared to the composite crap I had been using, but playing House of the Dead or Virtua Cop with a controller ****ing sucks and I have no desire to use an old CRT for this stuff.

That my friends is why modern motion controls were invented. Get a PS Move or a Wii and enjoy HD light gun gaming goodness.
Even though duck hunt on a big ass HD screen would be epic.

If you hackya wii, you can get a NES emulator.
Then you can play Duckhunt witta Wiimote.

You Know What's BS #2: No More Cheat Codes.

Another thing that's BS these days is how cheat codes don't exist anymore. Oh I know you can hack consoles and whatnot, I'm talking about old school cheat codes like the Konami (aka Contra) Code that anyone 30 or older can recite like their social security number. You used to be able to get extra guys or unlimited ammo, stuff that just added an extra level or provided some help for players who needed it.

There used to be an entire subcategory of game accessories just devoted to codes/cheats. Hell, the Game Genie helped define gaming as we know it thanks to the lawsuit with Nintendo that more or less made it legal to "experiment with their product" and opened the door for legalizing technology like DVD Rippers for personal use. Who didn't have a Game Genie for their system of choice in the 8 and 16 bit era? I know I used mine to turn the sweat red in the SNES version of MK1 to recreate the blood without having to play the Genesis version with its crappy sound (sorry, Genesis fans).

Even later eras had devices like the Pro Action Replay that you could use to do things like swap save files, exchange creations in wrestling games, or rosters in sports games. The game companies didn't seem to like those devices too much, since it seemed every console had some kind of vaguely sinister warning that made it sound like hooking one of these devices would open the hellfires of the Apocalypse. I just liked being able to get new guys for WWF No Mercy. However there were two major things that conspired to end the era of cheat devices. The first was the dawn of internet capable consoles that were able to download content without the need of a special device. The second was the hardware lockdown most of the console makers placed upon their systems. Microsoft won't even let you use a memory card they don't approve of and Sony keeps updating the firmware for the PS3 to keep out devices they don't want people to use.

On one hand I can certainly see why they do these things. In the era of consoles with broadband internet access, the door's wide open for the possibility of piracy type behavior to take place. However the Wii is by far the easiest to hack console of this generation and it hasn't hurt sales one bit. Also in the world of online gaming, cheat codes ruin the fun for everyone else. Then again, all the major online game services already ban cheaters, so it's not like it would open up a Pandora's box. On the other, I kind of miss the days of looking up Game Genie codes (which were just hex edits, but we didn't know better) and make wacky things happen.

I think the death of cheat codes was, like you said, downloadable content.
I found this out recently, did you know Capcom is charging $5 for downloadable cheats for their new Dead Rising game?

Shit like Big head mode & super speed is now costing money!

However all is not lost.
For the Ratchet & Clank series seems to still love the use of cheat codes & secret unlockables.
Hopefully others will follow on this righteous path.
And for that, we thank you.

I think the death of cheat codes was, like you said, downloadable content.
I found this out recently, did you know Capcom is charging $5 for downloadable cheats for their new Dead Rising game?

Shit like Big head mode & super speed is now costing money!

However all is not lost.
For the Ratchet & Clank series seems to still love the use of cheat codes & secret unlockables.
Hopefully others will follow on this righteous path.
And for that, we thank you.

I'm angry they're not doing it for the original Dead Rising 2. They're putting so much stuff into DR2 OTR, and I hate playing as Frank West. I agree, 5 bucks for those cheats is insane. But they way their making it is even more insane. I also think its funny how nobody on my FR even has Dead Rising 2 OTR.

You know whats BS?
Sub-zero's ice clone.

Dont get me wrong i love sub-zero but when i win against a person and they pick sub-zero only to do ice clones all match really pisses me off :soapbox: I didnt do that shit to you so play with some sense you dick. :mad:

People who just throw random ball rolls with mileena, You dont just throw them out and hope for the best.. You only use it to

A) Extend a combo

B) On wake up when your opponent whiffs a string.

C) To go under high projectiles <_<

What is BS are the BAD Mileena players.

So im Baraka tonight, and everytime I knock this Mileena over, he does roll or teleport on wakeup. Naturally I block, and uppercut or F44 into blade charge. Does this condition the player into actually not using a special on wakeup? No. He carries on.

So the whole match turns into a very boring affair of me baiting and punishing. No footsies, no nothing. I hate fighting against terrible players.

What is BS are the BAD Mileena players.

So im Baraka tonight, and everytime I knock this Mileena over, he does roll or teleport on wakeup. Naturally I block, and uppercut or F44 into blade charge. Does this condition the player into actually not using a special on wakeup? No. He carries on.

So the whole match turns into a very boring affair of me baiting and punishing. No footsies, no nothing. I hate fighting against terrible players.

This pisses me off also.. and when they get lucky and win they brag by sending a voice message.. But when i want to rematch they back down. So sad <_<

People who quit when your about to do a fatality and have the balls to talk shit about you in the chatroom. :mad:

@iVital or they do the dreaded teabag or the jumping over you, as if it was the greatest victory of their life (which it probably was).

@Yung, I always quit during fatalities. Why can't you just throw a jab or projectile? Yeah they were cool the first week of release, but everyone has seen every single one about a million times, and I don't intend to waste time as some guy gets excited over performing one.

Nonono im talking about something different flagg. Im talking about when someone is spamming and acting like b*tches for two matches in a row that when you finally win they quit. Not fair at all.

And i do fatalities to humilate people. Sub-zeros spine rip is a nice reminder to those who want to play like idiots.

Well no one likes a spammer, but the key to beating them is not letting the spam frustrate you. Be patient, and watch the pattern. When you see it, they are easy to beat. There's this guy from Greece I keep bumping into in Ranked, we have something of a fued. He resorts to Sheeva teleport stomp spam. And every time I beat him, he rage quits the moment his health is gone. And yes, on the rare occasion he beats me, outcomes the "teabagging" or he sends me a rage message. I'll have to do a name and shame on him soon.

I think the only time I troll is if im playing against someone that is in love with the uppercut. I will walk up at the end, crouch, wait, wait, waaaaaaait....then uppercut. Ya know, to emphasise a point.

YOUUU KNOW WHAT BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULSHIV?
Developers locking content on disc for future dlc. What happened to the days when you got stuff like that for playing the game or doing challenges. Extra content isn' really taken seriously anymore, something that kept me mk deadly alliance and deception was all the extra stuff in the krypt. In MK9, the Krypt felt rushed

Lol let me rephrase that.

I do fatalities to give an example of what happens if a person acts a fool while playing against me. So if they span all match cause they think its cute, Sub-Zero spine rip it is :)

Lol let me rephrase that.

I do fatalities to give an example of what happens if a person acts a fool while playing against me. So if they span all match cause they think its cute, Sub-Zero spine rip it is :)

Lol, I do the same thing.
But sometimes fatalities happen random for me, like if I haven't seen it in awhile, I want to do it.
I have all the fatalities memorized except for a few, like Sheeva's and Kitanas.

I have Sub-Zero's sercret and classic fatality down pat along with Kano's secret fatality. Other than that Im hopeless lol