Older members - Do you still talk to people from your childhood?

Freyith

By older, I mean those of us who, like myself, are in our mid-to-late twenties or older, where life may have dictated that we either move away or put us in a position to lose touch with our childhood friends. They say friendships you make during adulthood are different because they're more choice-driven than the necessity of forming groups and cliques in school in order to survive socially. As adults, our friendships are far more likely to be based on mutual interests that don't always equate to informed self-interest.

I don't remember most of the people from my actual childhood, since I moved around a lot. (save from a couple of friends from when I lived in Florida, when I got into MK in '93 or so). I haven't spoken to them in almost twenty years, so I have no idea what's up with them. I don't even talk anymore with my closest friends through high school--most of whom were boys because they liked the same things I did. One of these friends moved to Colorado, the other (to my knowledge) is still within driving distance, but I haven't seen either in 4 years, and before that, I saw them very infrequently. My life--and by extension, my very self--has changed a lot since we were in school, so I doubt we'd have much in common now. They were both privileged, granted excellent educations and are fast-tracked for white-collar work. I'm... not.

I imagine for those of you that grew up in one place and still live there, it must be a lot different. Do you still keep in touch? Do you have anything to talk about?

My best friend in the world I met my freshman year of high school. We are still best friends.

I made a lot of friends in college too. I still talk to a lot of them, but I never quite bonded with them the way I did to my high school friends.

I think a lot of it just depends on what kind of person you are. The friends you make later are definitely more interest based. But people you have known a long time have seen you through a lot more and they've watched you develop. They know you in ways that friends you make in adulthood never could.

But I don't think there's a clear cut answer. I think it just depends when in life you meet those certain people that just totally get you. You may meet them in elementary school, or you may meet them in the nursing home. It's never too late to make close friends. It does, though, get harder in the prime of life when you are working, having a family, etc. because you have less time to spend with friends which makes getting to know new people more difficult.

Once you make an honest and real friend, you know. And you don't let that person drift away. If you do lose contact, you can always reestablish it. For really good friends, you can go months without talking to each other and then when you do again it feels like you just talked yesterday.

I don't think anybody can make a hard rule about when you meet your closest friends. It will differ for everyone because it depends on how you develop emotionally and luck.

I still talk to a lot of the people I hung out with in highschool. My brother in law was one of my friends when I was 16 and I married his sister I've known him for 12 yrs and were family now. And a few friends from junior high I still see and talk to ocassionally. But for the most part I don't see many people from my youth. If I do its just because I ran into them while I was out but don't really make an effort to hang out. I just got older as they did, and life took us in different directions. One of my closest friends from high school is a totally different person and kind of an ******* now. That happens too, people change and the things you once had in common disappear and it sucks. Because making friends when you're in your twenties is harder than when you were in school. Especially if you have a family and responsibilities. Atleast that's my experience.

Yep. I have childhood friends, high school friends, college friends, bar friends, work friends, ex-girlfriend friends and all other types. I never lose friends, I just keep getting more and more. It's like a giant rubber band ball at this point! I like it that way cuz I'm never ever bored and I get lotsa different people from all walks of life.

Do I still talk / hang out with friends from highschool / college?
YES.

Did I go to my highschool reunion to see a bunch of people I didn't like in the first place?
HELL NO!!!!

Chances are if I didn't like you back then, I don't like you now.

I make and lose friends all the time.

I might once in a while send an email and ask whats up. But very rare. Thing is if my old friends and I can't do the stuff we use to, to be friends. It's kind of pointless to keep contact. For instance, a lot of my friends I had in person in Panama City. I no longer talk to, because all we did was just hang in person and joke and stuff. We don't share any of the same interests when it comes to long distance. AKA we don't like the same Online games ect ect.

My 3 best friends, I met all of them when I was 16. I will never stop being friends. We may not talk once in a while, but these two guys and 1 girl are epic good friends. Help eachother out w/o being asked, always looking out for eachother. REAL FRIENDSHIP. I'm lucky to experience such great friends. I will drive 9 hours to visit twice a year or so for these 3. Everyone else... not so much. They didn't live up to the legacy that these 3 did as great friends.

A lot of my elementary, middle and high school friends moved out all over the place, the farthest being in Alberta (a few provinces away from me), so I mostly keep in touch via facebook. Some of them still live in my area so we hang out. My best friend of almost 20 years lives right behind me so it's awesome =)

I spent the weekend on what was basically, one huge Stag Event. It was me and a load of my childhood friends I hadn't seen in 10 years and it was one of the best weekends i'd had in a long, long time. Go Karting, Strip Joints, bars, nightclubs, drinking, banter....it was epic.

My best friend in the world I met my freshman year of high school. We are still best friends.

I made a lot of friends in college too. I still talk to a lot of them, but I never quite bonded with them the way I did to my high school friends.

I think a lot of it just depends on what kind of person you are. The friends you make later are definitely more interest based. But people you have known a long time have seen you through a lot more and they've watched you develop. They know you in ways that friends you make in adulthood never could.

But I don't think there's a clear cut answer. I think it just depends when in life you meet those certain people that just totally get you. You may meet them in elementary school, or you may meet them in the nursing home. It's never too late to make close friends. It does, though, get harder in the prime of life when you are working, having a family, etc. because you have less time to spend with friends which makes getting to know new people more difficult.

Once you make an honest and real friend, you know. And you don't let that person drift away. If you do lose contact, you can always reestablish it. For really good friends, you can go months without talking to each other and then when you do again it feels like you just talked yesterday.

I don't think anybody can make a hard rule about when you meet your closest friends. It will differ for everyone because it depends on how you develop emotionally and luck.

But you still think it is illegal to have you dog or cats off the leash.

Just ********ting.

I do still have my best friend from kindergarten. I actually just want to his wedding last year, and he is coming up here for a vikings game soon.

I moved in like 8th grade? Then I moved into an are where I influenced someone to learn how to play guitar, now he is in LA recording audio for all the reality tv shows (*Jersey Shor...reunion shows*). Still my best friend.

Another friend I still talk to was off in East Africa and Afghanistan. We were in the same home room. Same with my buddy Tom from above ^^^. We watched life and death all together. Went to his fathers funeral. Partied the night before.

There is a thing we have back in South Dakota called Riverboat Days, if you do not know what it is, look it up. I will have a booth there some day.

Riverboat days is the pilgrimage where we all ******** and ketchup. Last year I hung put with (my buddies said above), some older LAN party CS players, and other people. And my very first girlfriend from 1st grade. God, I was a pimp, she was so hot and actually makes a deeitn living, driving a muscle car with no balls attach. She could chug beers and was a model. You would swear to God she was imported from Sweden or Norway. Damn I ****ed up in 1st grade.

I'm still very tight with 2-3 of my hs buddies but I can see that after 15+ yrs, once we start families it Doss make contact harder and to do the things we have done for yrs like games and stuff. Basically its all about stayinf in touch and growing together

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

My best friend I met when I was 11 and living in Saudi Arabia. We've been apart distance-wise for a long time, but we still talk a lot and whenever I need her, she is there.

And for childhood friends, I known one guy for all of his life and we still talk on facebook.

So yeah, I keep in touch with my friends from all different times in my life!

One of my high school friends moved out of state for college and eventually married. Sometimes, we leave a message/comment via Facebook, but that's about it. There was another friend who I would talk to and meet regularly, but after an incident that involved my family...we no longer spoke to each other. I only have one remaining friend from high school that I contact fairly regularly.

Most people makes friends out of convenience; going to the same school, working the same place, and living in the same area. As people get older, circumstances make it harder to find time for the rituals that maintain friendships. We get caught in our personal needs and desires, so people eventually drift apart.

Last edited: