Mortal Kombat, The Revision

Wow this is really cool the way you make it work in modern days reminds me of MK Legacy, I can't wait to see where you go with this.

Chapter 2, Part 1 of 3

Reptile

New York City, New York. 1998.

Dr. Gus Reynolds sat alone in the darkness of his one room apartment, staring at the wall.
Taking the last sip of brandy in his cup, he grew more and more distraught at today's failed experiments.
"Said it's going to rain all week," he murmed as he looked at the dreary atmosphere from his window.
Dr. Reynolds' failures over the past month were finally taking their toll on this thirty-four year old man, and he knew it was only a matter of time before he stopped receiving government funding for these projects.
"They should never have come to me," he thought bitterly "They should have presented this to another scientist, one with more knowledge of the field. I have only studied what I learned at the university; for God's sake, I have never even been on a routine expedition to study these creatures in their native habitat. No matter," he said aloud as he stood up from his sofa. "I must achieve success on this project. My future and JOB is at stake, I can't afford to lose my dignity."
He grabbed his coat and keys and made his way out the door.
As he walked outside to make his way towards his car, Dr. Reynolds eyes met the sky again.
It was a deep blood red and purple, and the rain was coming down in buckets.
The moon shown bright, radiating a soft yellow light over him entering his vehicle as he drove off in a hurry.

As the Doctor drove to the west side of town where his lab was located, he began to hypothesize on how he could achieve success tonight.
"Why should tonight be any different?" he asked hopelessly to himself.
"No, there are tests to be done. Nothing is impossible to a Scientist of my calibur. I'll show them all, and rub their big fat noses in my accomplishment. The Board laughed at me when I presented them to this last year, giving the grant to that fool Dr. Tsung.
Everyone knows you can't reanimate the dead, I don't understand what the saw in his plan.
Obviously, they are all brain dead troglodytes."
The doctor pulled into a 7-11 and pulled out two quarters from his front pocket as he made his way to a pay phone.
It rang twice before his lab assistant picked up.
"You've reached The New York West Side Department of Scientific Research, Dr. Reynolds left an hour ago.
If you give me a moment, I'll write your information down and have him call you when he returns tomorrow."
"Barry it's me, Gus."
"Oh, hey Dr. Reynolds! Why are you calling the Office?"
"Listen, I'm coming over right now. I'm going to need you to stay over and help me tonight.
I'm not leaving until we get this right."
"With all due respect Sir, I don't know if tonight will be any different than any other day. We simply lack the technolo-"
Dr. Reynolds slammed the phone as hard as he possibly could on the hanger and stormed off into his car.

Pulling into the entrance of the lab, Dr. Reynolds exited his car and fumbled around the inside of his coat pocket for his security clearance card.
"Dr. Reynolds, what are you doing here after work?" laughed the security guard as he scanned the Doc's card.
"I just have a little.. unfinished business. I'm too close to a breakthrough to sleep, I'm close.. I can feel it." responded the Doctor quickly as the security guard handed him back his clearance card.
"Well," he said as he opened the door for Gus "Don't stay too long, Doc. You know we shut everything off at 12."
Dr. Reynolds nodded as he walked to the far side of the lab, his department.
Barry, the assistant, was wiping down the tables and getting ready to call it a night. He turned around and met the face of The Doctor.
"Dr. Reynolds!" he gasped as he clenched his chest. "You scared the hell out of me! I swear, if I didn't know better, I'd think you're invisible sometimes!"
Gus smirked as he grabbed two lab coats and threw one to Barry.
"Here, get your coat on. Best get two pairs of gloves and goggles.
I'm going to need you to also ready Experiment A3-9901."
Barry stared at Dr. Reynolds blankely. "I... didn't think you were serious about continuing research tonight, Doctor."
"Why, of course I am! And we have collected more than enough research, Mr. Raka, you know that.
No, no, no. We are going to achieve what we have set out to achieve for weeks now.
So, do as I say. Ready the test subjects."
Barry nodded in agreement as he pulled on his lab gear and brought forth the the cart.
Dr. Reynolds' looked intently into the subject's eyes, and knew he could succed in mere hours.
He picked up the needle and injected the first Chameleon with the serum.
"How are his vitals, Barry?" asked Dr. Reynolds eagerly as he saw the lizard began to grow larger by the second.
"Looking good, Doctor." responded Barry as he watched the monitor as if his eyes were magnetically drawn to it.
"Beginning injection of serum #64, aka the 'Soldier Serum' to test subject number 2" bellowed Dr. Reynolds as he watched the monitor.
The first subject was showing all the similar characteristics of the failed experiements thus far.
It's arms began to grow first, followed by it's legs, head, and torso.
The humanoid shape was beginning to take place, and all of a sudden, it happened again...

The chameleon just wanted to eat the flies, not get experimented on, but he'll show them, he'll show all of them.....

OMG! your story just keeps getting better and better TaBB! I love all the little details you use to describe events, keep up the good work bro!

Chapter 2, Part 2 of 3

Reptile

"Pulse has dropped dramatically, Dr. Reynolds" sighed Barry.
"GOD DAMNIT!!" screamed Dr. Reynolds, as he threw a chair aross the lab, breaking many viles and beakers.
He rushed towards the mutated chameleons with a serrated knife in hand, and slit their throats before their hearts failed like the other test subjects had.
With his hands and face coated with the blood of his failure, he looked at his assistance with a wild, deranged look in his eye.
"Bring in the others" he growled, as his lip snarled from anger.
"No, doctor." Barry said firmly "I will not stand for this anymore. You have killed all the subjects so far, and we are NOT doing another test tonight or any other night. I called The Board before you arrived this morning, and you have been terminated. The project has been cancelled. I was going to tell you earlier, but I also wanted to see if we could get one more chance with Experiment A3-9901."
Dr. Reynolds inched closer to an oblivious Barry, knife still in hand.
"And another thing!" Barry exclaimed "You've become obsessed with this! It's all you ever talk about, ever think about! This Experiment will NEVER work, Dr. Reynolds. We simply lack the technology, as I have told you time and time again. We achieve step one and two of the phase, yes. But the chameleon's internal structure won't support the Soldier Serum. The heart will always fail, and you have got to realize this. Now please Doctor, I have to go home. I've got a life outside of this labratory."
As he strided past Dr. Reynolds, Barry raised his hand to grab his jacket off of the coat rack.
The Doctor grabbed Barry's wrist and held the blade to his chest.
"You insolent f*ck" he bellowed into Barry's face "You called the board on me?! You may have gotten me terminated, but I'm not leaving this behind until we get this right. This isn't about my job, this is about me proving all my collegues wrong. You have two options right now. The first option is to go with me to Dr. Tsung's home. The other option is me stabbing you to death right here."
Barry thought to himself "He's finally done it. He's finally gone insane." "I'll go with you to Dr. Tsung house," he responded meekly "But it's the last time I do anything with you, Gus."
Dr. Reynolds laughed aloud and put the knife in it's sheath, "Fantastic! We best be on our way as soon as possible."

It was 3 a.m. when Dr. Reynolds knocked on the door of Dr. Tsung's house.
"Yes, yes I'm coming!" Shang shouted as he slung open the door.
"What the hell are you doing here, Reynolds? And with your dog, too? The animal pound is three blocks down, you would be wise to put that poor bastard to sleep, we all know you've worked him to the bone for years"
"We don't have time for jokes, Tsung" Dr. Reynolds blurted as he stepped inside Dr. Tsungs living room.
"What the hell are you doing?!" a bewildered Dr. Tsung said as he flicked the lights on. "Listen, you need to leave. Haven't you heard? You've been fired as of 5 today, you have no business being here. If you're here to plead me to make the board reconsider their decision on your termination, just leave. You still have a shred of respect, and you'll still have it; if you walk out of my living room and back to that roach infested hell hole you call a home."
"Shut the f*ck up, Shang!" Dr. Reynolds screamed as he closed Dr. Tsungs door and turned around to face his rival.
"Look! The experiments have been failing, the chameleon's heart can't handle the third phase, and we need you help"
"Dr. Reynolds.." Barry chimed in, "We seriously need to leave. Dr. Tsung is right, we are only making a fool out of ourselves by coming here."
"I have the soultion," Shang said softly as he sat on his luxurious love seat.
"You WHAT?!" shouted Gus as he stared, enraged, at his former colleague.
"Yes. You see, I've been studying you work for some time, 'Doctor' Reynolds." Remarked Shang sarcastically.
"My God, your 'work', as you call it, is nothing but mere tinkering compared to what I have accomplished. The government should have fired you years ago, you b-"
Dr. Tsung's words were cut short as Gus Reynolds pulled the knife out from behind his back.
"You start telling me what I need to know" Dr. Reynolds threatened as he pointed the blade in Shang's direction, "Or I'm going to f*cking kill you."
"So, it comes to threats," Dr. Tsung laughed as he removed his glasses and arose from his chair.
"I'll tell you what you need to know, Gus. Follow me downstairs."

Dr. Tsung had indeed been studying and copying Dr. Reynolds and Barry's work.
His whole life, Dr. Shang Tsung had been fasinated by the field of science, much like his rival colleague, Dr. Reynolds.
Shang's "downstairs" was his personal labratory, and it had more equipment than Dr. Reynolds' lab and his own, combined.
"Are those the chameleons?" asked Dr. Reynolds as his eyes met a sheet covered tank.
"Why yes, they are" answered Tsung, "These are the un-tested lizards from Experiment A3-9901. You never knew I was also on this project, did you? The goverment took me off of my work to reanimate the dead, for me to devote my time to making a super soldier. One that could not only withstand the harsh climate of jungle territory, but could also naturally adapt to it.
You see, this was the main purpose of this Project. Make reptilian grunts that would follow all commands presented to them, and never fail in the line of duty."

Dr. Reynolds could simply not believe his ears. He had never been breifed on the "why" of it all, he blindly concentrated on just getting them to live.
"Unfortunately," continued Dr. Tsung, as he paced back and forth between Barry and Dr. Reynolds, "Our government is run by idiots. These ideas they vomit at us simply make me want to quit the branch all together. I simply wanted to bring back the dead and make their lives continue where they had been cut off before their time. We all deserve a second chance, do we not? Anyways, this A3-9901 garbage was presented to me. I noticed the flaw in the structure to begin with. The heart. It simply could not bear the transformation, it was too small. They had their head up their asses when I told this to them, and they ignored me. They continued to make you waste you time with their bull shit."
Barry noticed a serum (different than the ones they had been injecting the chameleons with) laying on Dr. Tsung's desk, one labeled "Serum #65 aka Acid bath."
Dr. Tsung noticed what Barry was staring at, "Ah, so you noticed it before I could explain it to you. Very well, I won't bore you both any longer. It's not the chameleons that we should be testing on. No, it is humans. How could they have been so blind? If we inject the soldiers themselves with the formula I have created, then we can achieve the desired result."
"Now, how do you know that?" asked Reynolds, "Please tell me you haven't tested this on anyone so far."
"As a matter of fact," Dr. Tsung eerily responded "I have not. But my data proves without the shadow of the doubt this will make the subject the 'Super Soldier' the government has been asking for. And I have developed an antidote, as well."
"So, you mean to tell me you have it all figured out?" scoffed Dr. Reynolds. "And you have an antidote, too? Well, Dr. Tsung.. If you are so confident in you work, then test it on me. Let's see if you truly are the better scientist."

Last edited:
Amazing chapter! I would not mind a realistic take on MK for the upcoming movie if they use your ideas. This is blockbuster stuff bro!

Thanks guys :)
I felt like I rushed the ending of part 2 a little bit, but time was against me.
The final part of Reptile's story will be up tomorrow afternoon :cool:
And perhaps part 1 of Johnny Cage or Ermac will be added tomorrow night

Chapter 2, Part 3 of 3

Reptile

"Dr. Reynolds, NO!" Barry pleaded as Reynolds removed his lab coat to prepare for the injection, "You can't go through with this, for the love of everything holy, you simply must reconsider! This hasn't even been tested! Look at all the failed experiments, this is madness! And even if it does work, what if the antidote fails? You can never return back to your normal state!"
"Barry, this is for science." Dr. Reynolds said to his nervous assistant, "We'll see if Dr. Tsung can really outsmart me with this theory. If everything goes according to Tsung's plan, then we will have finally succeded on Experiment A3-9901. I mean, these goverment experiements almost always achieve success. Look at the Cyber program in Connecticut, they went through their set backs. However, they finally were able to turn a human into a souless android 4 years ago. It really is a shame that some of the Cyber suits were stolen by that lunatic gang of ninjas, but the point is they were able to do the impossible." Dr. Reynolds nodded to Dr. Tsung, who was readying the restraint table and preparing the needle to be injected into his arm.
"Ah, so we are finished with our little chat" remarked Shang as he walked between the Doctor and Barry. "Now listen, we have wasted enough time. Reynolds, get on the table. If my calculations are correct, we will have accomplished what those idiots at Washington couldn't. We will live on in infamy, The Doctors who created the world's perfect army. Reynolds, you just might have earned your job back tonight. Now, let's get started."

The stainless steel table was cold as ice as Dr. Reynolds laid down, eagerly awaiting to see if this could really work. "My God," he thought to himself, "This may be the answer we have been looking for! I wonder how I will react to the transformation.. yes, IF there really is one. That fool Tsung has boasted similar stories in the past.. However, it's the hope we've got.."
Dr. Tsung and Barry strapped Reynolds down and began hooking him up to the monitor to check his vitals. "Heartbeat is 107 bpm, Dr. Tsung. Everything else is normal." reported Barry.
"You ready, Reynolds?" he asked as he grabbed the needle from the desk. "Ready as I'll ever be, Tsung." Reynolds responded confidently. Dr. Tsung gave a nod of approval, and slowly pushed the needle into Gus' arm and pushed down on the pluger, injecting him with a serum that would have changed the world. Almost immeditaley, Dr. Reynolds' skin began to feel dry.. his mouth as dry as the desert. "How are you feeling so far, Gus?" asked Barry from the room. "Feeling a little nautious, Mr. Raka.. Feeling a litt- BLAAAHH!!" Dr. Reynolds sentence was cut short as his stomach was emptied all over the floor. "That's normal, that's normal" reassured Shang to everyone in the room, "It's just the stomach responding to serum and shriking to make room to the acid gland."
Dr. Reynolds' closely cropped brown hair began to fall out quickly, as his finger nails began to grow longer and sharper. His teeth were becoming brittle and weak, chipping off to reveal a pair of skin shredders. Dr. Tsung's eyes grew bright as he watched the transfomation take place. "How are those vitals, boy?!" Dr. Tsung asked Barry, his eyes never leaving Gus. "Body temperature: Endothermic has dropped dramtically, Ectothermic has increased. Heart rate has also increased to that of a typical Chameleon." Barry responded. "Haha, I believe we have done it!" exclaimed Dr. Tsung, as he watched Dr. Reynolds' skin develop scales and turn a bright lime green tint.

Dr. Reynolds was losing his thought process as his eyes turned a dull shade of yellow, his organs and skeletal structure cracking and breaking inside of him. He could feel his skull become oblong, his brain literally changing it's form and his nose snapping into itself.. nostrils became slits. His tongue had grown dramatically, it felt rough and gritty.. it forked off at the end. His skin felt as if it lava had been coated on it, stretching tight along his muscle, losing what little body fat he had. His jaw was snapping repeatidly, forming the quadrate bone, which lets the mouth extend far beyond human capabilities. His feet became webbed and toes melted together to form large talons that could disembowel a man easily. The last thing Dr. Reynolds heard as the human in him left was from Barry, "Dr. Reynolds, the procedure was a success!" and then the english language became an incoherent jumble of grunts and growls to him. Dr. Tsung was practically jumping with joy as he saw the human ears descend into the chameleon-like head of the former Gus Reynolds. "He won't be able to hear us anymore, Baraka.. Isn't that your name? Anyways, don't waste your breath. Now, we should run some tests to see if he can live up to the soldier potential." "Absolutely NOT!!" as Barry jumped between Dr. Tsung and this creature, "We have to give him the anitdote, quickly! The test was a success, now we can give it to the government and I can have my friend back." Dr. Tsung laughed heartedly and he pushed Barry across the room with all his force. "You niave jackass! There was no antidote! How mentally unsound are you really? No, no, no, boy. There is no cure for this experiment, Dr. Reynolds has just died. In his place, a glorious balance of reptile and soldier. I finally got the formula right. I have tested this many times on unsuspecting victims, with only two twin teenagers achieving moderate success.. and they have been sent to another state for study. Never have I had someone walk in here and demand to be transformed! Oh, how wonderful! And to do it to my arch rival in the field of science, this is a most successful day!"

The creature looked around the room he was in, and saw a figure of a man approaching him with a knife in hand. The creature noticed he was bound to a table.. with weak restraints. The man said something to him, but he did not understand it. The man repeated his jumbled nonsense louder, and smacked his face violently. The creature snarled and his mouth brimmed with acid as he broke free of the table's tight grip. "HHHRGH!!" he bellowed all his might as he swiped at this man's chest, tearing a chunks of skin out of him. "Goddamn it.." groaned Dr. Tsung as he grasped his freshly cut chest, the blood gushing from it like a waterfall. He laid on his side on the ground, trying his best to crawl away from the monster he had created. "Boy! Barry! Grab the pistol from my desk! Hurry!" Shang pleaded to the twenty four year old lab assistant. Barry just stood there, arms folded and laughed as he remarked, "You get what you asked for, you pathetic bastard." The creature grabbed the man's ankles and snapped them like candy bars.. the man let out an ear piercing scream as he swatted his arms around, trying to defend himself from the empending doom. The former Doctor Reynolds stood over his victim, and let forth a foamy bath of acid from his mouth, coating a shreiking Dr. Tsung. The creature let forth a groan as he stripped Dr. Tsung's body clean of all skin and tissue, leaving him a bare skeleton. He met the eyes of another man in the room, one that was shaking uncontrollably. He flicked his tongue in the air and tasted the fear, knowing this man thought he was next to be eaten. But he had done nothing wrong, and besides, The creature was full anyways.. at least for now.

Last edited: